Application help

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Wagaress is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Application help

Hi there, so I'm not starting our application just yet but we are getting ready to and I'm so nervous about messing it up. It will be a spousal visa for my husband and we are taking the savings route.
Can anyone share any links, advice, a checklist? Anything that will help us out. I have 2 very young kids so my brain is fried half the time lol. I'm just worried about being rejected first time for not doing everything correctly.
Thanks in advance
Ellie
Old Apr 4th 2014, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application help

I know how you feel! Firstly, get all your supporting documents together before you fill out the online form and get your biometrics taken. You can use the printed form VAF4a as a guide to practice on but the online application form is slightly different so be prepared for that. We were surprised that we were asked for the applicant's employment details but it seems not everyone is! Not sure what is happening there! But if you are, then it is good to have a letter from employer confirming employment and salary ready to include. We did not do that and may be refused because of the omission.

https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk is the start of your application process unless it changes before you are ready! Changes seem to be happening all the time to the process so make sure you check just before you apply. You fill that out online, then pay and get an appointment for biometrics. You then print out the application form and Appendix 2 which provides UKVI with your financial details. As you are applying with savings, it is less complicated in my opinion.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ent-form-vaf4a is the page where you find which documents you should send as well as Appendix 2.

Supporting documents are very important and must be sent with printed out application form and Appendix 2

Sponsor
It is advised to send a letter from the sponsor confirming wish to sponsor applicant etc.
copy of passport bio page
Marriage certificate
At least six months of original bank statements. Funds must be immediately accessible at the time of application. I got letters from our bank confirming funds could be withdrawn without notice.
Declaration of source of savings

Applicant
Employment details if applicable
Letter of introduction.
Passport(s)

Accommodation details
Land Registry docs if property to be lived in is owned by sponsor
Tenancy agreement if planning to rent
Tenancy agreement or Land Registry doc if staying with friends or family, a council tax bill, along with a letter from friends saying they are happy for you to stay with them. An inspection report is also neede if staying with friends or family to ensure there is no overcrowding.

Proof of relationship
Marriage certificate as above
Joint bills or communications during the marriage
Photos of you as a couple during the marriage
If you have lived apart, proof of communication such as Skype logs.

There is a document which you should read before applying but, again, as changes are happening all the time, make sure you are up to date! Since they have changed the website, I am not sure but I think this is it. Hopefully someone else will confirm.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ndix_FM_SE.pdf

If I think of anything else I will post again and others may add information. By the time you have sorted all this out, you will probably be exhausted. You send it all off and then sit back and worry about all the things you feel you may have got wrong!
Old Apr 4th 2014, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by michali
I know how you feel! Firstly, get all your supporting documents together before you fill out the online form and get your biometrics taken. You can use the printed form VAF4a as a guide to practice on but the online application form is slightly different so be prepared for that. We were surprised that we were asked for the applicant's employment details but it seems not everyone is! Not sure what is happening there! But if you are, then it is good to have a letter from employer confirming employment and salary ready to include. We did not do that and may be refused because of the omission.

https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk is the start of your application process unless it changes before you are ready! Changes seem to be happening all the time to the process so make sure you check just before you apply. You fill that out online, then pay and get an appointment for biometrics. You then print out the application form and Appendix 2 which provides UKVI with your financial details. As you are applying with savings, it is less complicated in my opinion.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ent-form-vaf4a is the page where you find which documents you should send as well as Appendix 2.

Supporting documents are very important and must be sent with printed out application form and Appendix 2

Sponsor
It is advised to send a letter from the sponsor confirming wish to sponsor applicant etc.
copy of passport bio page
Marriage certificate
At least six months of original bank statements. Funds must be immediately accessible at the time of application. I got letters from our bank confirming funds could be withdrawn without notice.

Applicant
Employment details if applicable
Letter of introduction.
Passport(s)

Accommodation details
Land Registry docs if property to be lived in is owned by sponsor
Tenancy agreement if planning to rent
Tenancy agreement or Land Registry doc if staying with friends or family, a council tax bill, along with a letter from friends saying they are happy for you to stay with them. An inspection report is also neede if staying with friends or family to ensure there is no overcrowding.

Proof of relationship
Marriage certificate as above
Joint bills or communications during the marriage
Photos of you as a couple during the marriage
If you have lived apart, proof of communication such as Skype logs.

There is a document which you should read before applying but, again, as changes are happening all the time, make sure you are up to date! Since they have changed the website, I am not sure but I think this is it. Hopefully someone else will confirm.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ndix_FM_SE.pdf

If I think of anything else I will post again and others may add information. By the time you have sorted all this out, you will probably be exhausted. You send it all off and then sit back and worry about all the things you feel you may have got wrong!
I can't thank you enough, what a great post! So much great information
I'm absolutely crapping myself about all this lol. Me and my husband have been together for about 6 years and will be staying with family so that shouldn't be an issue. The savings route definitely seems less complicated. It's tied up in our home right now but we are just about ready to sell and it's a great sellers market where I am so it shouldn't be an issue.
Everything I've read tells me because it's in equity that we don't need to sit on it for 6 months.
Do you mind me asking where you applied from? I'm applying from Calgary Alberta. Luckily there is a biometric centre 3 hours drive from here!
Thanks again, I really appreciate it!
Old Apr 4th 2014, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

You are welcome! I hope others will add anything I might have missed. We are applying from The Bahamas and our application is being processed in Jamaica. It is supposed to take 12 weeks to process so I would love to put it out of my mind and wait, but it is hard to do that!
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

Hi Wag,
We just applied two days ago for my USC wife. We are waiting for our biometrics appointment which is on Monday 7th. Read this thread started from Nic who just went through the progress. About half way down the thread are some useful links.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=828165
Good luck.
Cheers
Nigel
Old Apr 4th 2014, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by michali
You are welcome! I hope others will add anything I might have missed. We are applying from The Bahamas and our application is being processed in Jamaica. It is supposed to take 12 weeks to process so I would love to put it out of my mind and wait, but it is hard to do that!
Oh I bet. I know that once we sell and apply, I'm going to be a total nervous wreck. I hope it all goes well for you, good luck!

Thanks a lot Nige, good luck to you too! you did the savings route too right?
Old Apr 4th 2014, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wagaress
Thanks a lot Nige, good luck to you too! you did the savings route too right?
Yeah.....we were lucky enough to be able to cobble together the 62.5K last year and now have six months of statements.

We also have a house to move into that was owned by my father who sadly died last year. It now belongs to me and my sis. We have included letters from her stating her approval and all docs on the house and my dads will and probate.

They are the two big things to worry about. Then on top of that we will include our deeds for our US house shown in both names, a dozen pix showing us and the kids aging over the past 15yrs and all marriage docs.

Also I wrote a one page letter explaining our plans/situation and another short letter explain where the funds came from (mainly savings - I included my last three page checks to show our savings rate).

I will also send them my kids Brit passports to prove that they are not included in the financial requirements.

I have been working on this for six months. I don't think I have ever been so stressed. This forum has been great. A lot of folk here put in a lot of their time to help others. Thanks to all of them. Browse around the last 10 pages or so and read the threads. You will pick up lots of hints.

Good luck
Cheers
Nigel
Old Apr 4th 2014, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

EDABZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks michali. Really a good summary. Have bookmarked this.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

You are welcome. I note that Nigel will be sending some bank statements to show the savings entries, which is a good idea. We just wrote declarations as our savings were mostly accrued years ago and we no longer have those statements. The bottom line is to include as much supporting evidence as possible but not to include irrelevant material which might only serve to complicate the application.

I agree with the stress issue! I don't think anyone who was applying has ever posted here and did not suffer any stress from it all!