British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   British Passport for US citizen with British parent (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/british-passport-us-citizen-british-parent-937814/)

Nikkiwheeler Mar 26th 2021 2:54 am

British Passport for US citizen with British parent

Hi, I hope i've posted in the correct location. I recently posted about trying to obtain a British Passport for my US born child to British parent. I've tried for the past week to do this UK passport on-line and I keep hitting hurdle after hurdle, they wanted me to get a professional person to verify my Childs identity so I asked my boss who it a Pharmacist, but they come from Egypt, and although they are a citizen of the US they do not hold a US passport... They want me to take a photocopy of a US passport photo page that she doesn't have?? I have run out of people to ask, who in the professional line is going to give me a photo copy of their passport?? Can I send in any other document?

Lion in Winter Mar 26th 2021 3:12 am

Re: British Passport for US citizen with British parent

Originally Posted by Nikkiwheeler (Post 12987873)
Hi, I hope i've posted in the correct location. I recently posted about trying to obtain a British Passport for my US born child to British parent. I've tried for the past week to do this UK passport on-line and I keep hitting hurdle after hurdle, they wanted me to get a professional person to verify my Childs identity so I asked my boss who it a Pharmacist, but they come from Egypt, and although they are a citizen of the US they do not hold a US passport... They want me to take a photocopy of a US passport photo page that she doesn't have?? I have run out of people to ask, who in the professional line is going to give me a photo copy of their passport?? Can I send in any other document?

The alternative to "a professional person" is "a person of good standing in the community". So pretty much anyone really. Friends? Church? Storeowner? Teacher or staff person at your child's school or nursery? Anywhere else you go regularly? Someone else at work?

If memory serves you only need a photocopy of the picture page. The idea is that it's someone who has known you for 2 years, so they are willing to do it.

Nikkiwheeler Mar 26th 2021 3:34 am

I have now hit another wall, The person I asked to help me said they had a passport under commonwealth tab on the UK GOV email she filled out on my behalf, but Egypt isn't part of the commonwealth countries, and they don't have a US passport just an Egyptian one, the only proof they have is their US citizenship certificate, I've tried logging back into UK gov passport page to change the person verifying my Childs identity and now I cannot go backwards on my application..... this is turning into a complete mess, I've paid the fee and everything, anyone have any suggestions on what can be done :(

Nikkiwheeler Mar 26th 2021 1:57 pm

Thank you for your advice, I have called UKgov and they are resetting the link so I can choose someone else.

Lion in Winter Mar 26th 2021 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Nikkiwheeler (Post 12988013)
Thank you for your advice, I have called UKgov and they are resetting the link so I can choose someone else.

There you go. In my experience the people are quite helpful, you just have to provide the paperwork. I did it for my son, born in the US to me, British. It went just fine. That was ages ago now since he's 21, but it's only a bit of bureaucracy and the thing sailed right through.