Wikiposts

British passport processing time (within the UK)

Old Feb 17th 2013, 12:39 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default British passport processing time (within the UK)

I know this isn't a "moving back" question, but it is relevant to living in the UK, and I can't see what other forum would be better ... as it is specific to the UK.

Does anyone have recent exerience of the actual processing time for a straightforward passport renewal? Mine expires in August, but I have several trips between now and then and wanted to pick the best window, if at all possible. I have to travel in late April, in late May, and again in mid-June. If I had to, I'd just wait until then, but I would really like to take some vacation time at some point between mid-June and August!

I have seen on .gov sites that it takes "at least 3 weeks", "within four weeks from the date the fee is taken and the application contains all of the information we need", etc. However, I also know that with cutbacks, a lot of government public sector agencies are slow as molasses at things these days (my NI contribution record took twice as long as they said it would).

Any recent exerience with this - anyone?

[I did run a Search, but all I could find was posts about eligibility for a British passport, and those sorts of passport-related questions]
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passport processing time (within the UK)

Originally Posted by dunroving
I know this isn't a "moving back" question, but it is relevant to living in the UK, and I can't see what other forum would be better ... as it is specific to the UK.

Does anyone have recent exerience of the actual processing time for a straightforward passport renewal? Mine expires in August, but I have several trips between now and then and wanted to pick the best window, if at all possible. I have to travel in late April, in late May, and again in mid-June. If I had to, I'd just wait until then, but I would really like to take some vacation time at some point between mid-June and August!

I have seen on .gov sites that it takes "at least 3 weeks", "within four weeks from the date the fee is taken and the application contains all of the information we need", etc. However, I also know that with cutbacks, a lot of government public sector agencies are slow as molasses at things these days (my NI contribution record took twice as long as they said it would).

[I did run a Search, but all I could find was posts about eligibility for a British passport, and those sorts of passport-related questions]
Well, I don't know how long it takes within the country, but I just got mine renewed from Florida and it took only 2 weeks! And even though I mailed the app to Washington DC, the passport came from Heathrow, according to the DHL label.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:36 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Well, I don't know how long it takes within the country, but I just got mine renewed from Florida and it took only 2 weeks! And even though I mailed the app to Washington DC, the passport came from Heathrow, according to the DHL label.
New York processes the application, the dept in Heathrow actually ships the passport.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 3:51 am
Just Joined

trane22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its easy DR...done it three time now, mine get filled up...when needed a renewal and going though the UK...phone up the passport office, near Victoria station...ask for a quick same day service, they will give you a dat eand time, ive usally been given a date within a week, once after two days...go in, first check of forms by a lady downstarirs, so easy, she crossed some i,s id missed, upstairs , grab a number, no drame 5 mins, another window pay...and come back and collect roundte corner of teh building in three hours...very easy...few good pubs around to spend three hours while you wait...hope this helps
Old Feb 20th 2013, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

I just booked for the fast track one day service today over the phone today. We are due to travel to London over the weekend and will be there for a few weeks. They actually offered me as early as this Friday! I booked it for next week to give me time to fill out forms etc. I think the one day service is better as you just get it out of the way the same day.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

JBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really nice

Renewed my kids whilst back there in January. Paid extra for the Post Office to check the applications over. Got the passports back about 10 days after submitting the applications
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Beautiful Garden Route of South Africa, hoping to return to equally beautiful Kent soon!
MagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really nice

Sent documentation to renew my daughter's passport from South Africa, on 08 February, got the passport today, less than 2 weeks later! Very impressed!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:29 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies, that is reassuring. Now I just need to find somewhere that will take the correct regulation photo, since Jessop's went bust!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:53 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the replies, that is reassuring. Now I just need to find somewhere that will take the correct regulation photo, since Jessop's went bust!
http://www.timpson.co.uk great chain and gave me guarantee to retake free photos if not accepted by passport folk - although my local one made me take my glasses off!!!