Wikiposts

British passport Mother's marriage certificate needed?

Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

oliver.fisher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British passport Mother's marriage certificate needed?

I'm in the process of applying for a British Passport and had a question regarding marriage certificates. My mother's old british passport that i have has her under my father's surname but she has since remarried so i put down her current name on the application form. Would i be required to show the marriage certificate for both my mother and my father as well as the marriage certificate for her new marriage?

I have the original of my parents marriage certificate but only a photocopy of the other marriage certificate, would i be able to send just a copy. I am applying based on my mother being a british citizen, born outside the uk whilst my grandfather was under crown service.I have her more recent british passport which is under the same surname as myself.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passport Mother's marriage certificate needed?

Originally Posted by oliver.fisher
I'm in the process of applying for a British Passport and had a question regarding marriage certificates. My mother's old british passport that i have has her under my father's surname but she has since remarried so i put down her current name on the application form. Would i be required to show the marriage certificate for both my mother and my father as well as the marriage certificate for her new marriage?

I have the original of my parents marriage certificate but only a photocopy of the other marriage certificate, would i be able to send just a copy. I am applying based on my mother being a british citizen, born outside the uk whilst my grandfather was under crown service.I have her more recent british passport which is under the same surname as myself.
I'll move your post to the UK forum as we have a lot of posters there now familiar with British passport requirements
Old Aug 30th 2013, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Was this answered in your previous thread?
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 1:02 am
Just Joined

I wasn't sure if it had to be an original copy or if a photocopy was fine was all.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 1:12 am
Just Joined

I just relised that her most current Australian passport is still under the same surname that i have, would that mean i don't need the new marriage certificate?Also do i need to send off her current Australian passport or just her most recent British passport?
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:11 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The name on your mother's birth certificate must be linked to the name on your birth certificate. Any evidence of these links (marriage certificates, divorce papers) need to be originals, not photocopies.

However despite what the official guidance says you need only submit photocopies of any passports other than the British passport you are renewing.