British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   British passport-change name (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/british-passport-change-name-854544/)

Isismom Mar 15th 2015 1:47 pm

British passport-change name

I have 2 old british passports(I am in canada now, past 12 years)both are in my maiden name.

If I get divorced here can I keep my married name here then land in the UK on that canadian passport(as I think that will be less confusing than changing it all here but maybe not, enlighten me!) and still legally stay(born and raised there)

After settling in UK can I use the name on my birth certificate to get a new UK passport, heres the clincher, I have an adoption certificate too, took my stepfathers name, I hate that name and him, hence want to use my birth name, I have both certificates.

Can I also do the same with UK drivers license, its in my maiden name too.

Thanks so much:fingerscrossed:

BritInParis Mar 15th 2015 10:11 pm

Re: British passport-change name

If you want to revert to your maiden name and your previous British passport was in your maiden name then why not simply renew it from Canada before you return to the UK? It would be easier to change your Canadian passport into your maiden name before you leave as well.

Isismom Mar 16th 2015 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11592985)
If you want to revert to your maiden name and your previous British passport was in your maiden name then why not simply renew it from Canada before you return to the UK? It would be easier to change your Canadian passport into your maiden name before you leave as well.

Because everything in the UK is in my maiden name which is my adopted name, I want to use my birthname, is this possible?

BritInParis Mar 16th 2015 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Isismom (Post 11593637)
Because everything in the UK is in my maiden name which is my adopted name, I want to use my birthname, is this possible?

If you adopted your stepfather's surname (your maiden name) and you now want to revert to your birth name then it's perfectly doable. Completing a deed poll would be the best way to do this. Include it with your passport application along with your birth certificate and your expired passports.

Isismom Mar 16th 2015 10:01 pm

Thanks, Im hoping to visit before I move so maybe I can get things moving then, get all this done while there and open a bank account too using my parents address as a temp one:)

holly_1948 Mar 17th 2015 11:33 pm

In the UK, unlike most other countries, you can call yourself any name that you please. (within reason, for example the names "6875665" or "none" or "Queen Elizabeth II" would not be acceptable :-) )

But your have to get people, and especially banks etc. to accept your usage. If you already have something like a birth certificate you are all set in the UK, just start using it. Worst case you can go to a high street solicitor and make a written formal "statutory declaration of change of name" witnessed by the solicitor, but that is overkill.
No frauds mind you - if challenged you have to be honest about names you have used and sometimes (for example employment applications modernly) you will be asked state all names and aliases you have used in the past.
For women, change of surname is widely accepted and not a big issue. Just say something like "I'm divorced (remarried, widowed, whatever), dear" and the subject will usually be dropped.

No matter what anyone says, don't get into the deedpoll mess. Deedpolls have no advantage over stat. decs. and lots of disdvantages. Except possibly, possibly, for diplomats or aristocrats with titles of nobility.

BritInParis Mar 17th 2015 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by holly_1948 (Post 11594971)
In the UK, unlike most other countries, you can call yourself any name that you please. (within reason, for example the names "6875665" or "none" or "Queen Elizabeth II" would not be acceptable :-) )

But your have to get people, and especially banks etc. to accept your usage. If you already have something like a birth certificate you are all set in the UK, just start using it. Worst case you can go to a high street solicitor and make a written formal "statutory declaration of change of name" witnessed by the solicitor, but that is overkill.
No frauds mind you - if challenged you have to be honest about names you have used and sometimes (for example employment applications modernly) you will be asked state all names and aliases you have used in the past.
For women, change of surname is widely accepted and not a big issue. Just say something like "I'm divorced (remarried, widowed, whatever), dear" and the subject will usually be dropped.

No matter what anyone says, don't get into the deedpoll mess. Deedpolls have no advantage over stat. decs. and lots of disdvantages. Except possibly, possibly, for diplomats or aristocrats with titles of nobility.

Deed polls are widely used in the UK to change names - not just for aristocrats. HMPO will refer you to the deed poll company I linked to if you wish to change your name.

I'd be interested to know what disadvantages you are referring to. If you're thinking of an enrolled deed poll (where your change of name and your address is published in the London Gazette) then that is not mandatory.

holly_1948 Mar 18th 2015 9:16 am

Well, for one thing, Deedpolls are strictly a British thing, whereas Stat Decs have international recognition. So, strictly speaking, if you obtain a passport with a name change based on a deedpoll it's not valid overseas. Not that anyone cares except perhaps in a case of foreign comity for a professional licence.

BritInParis Mar 18th 2015 10:01 am

Originally Posted by holly_1948 (Post 11595278)
Well, for one thing, Deedpolls are strictly a British thing, whereas Stat Decs have international recognition. So, strictly speaking, if you obtain a passport with a name change based on a deedpoll it's not valid overseas. Not that anyone cares except perhaps in a case of foreign comity for a professional licence.

The OP primarily wants to change her name in the UK so a deed poll is the way to go for that. I think it unlikely that she will encounter any issues overseas if her British passport and birth certificate have the same name.

For changing her name on her Canadian passport she'll first need to change her name on her Canadian citizenship certificate. If she is reverting to her birth name it's my understanding that she doesn't need to go through a legal change of name process to do this.

Jerseygirl Mar 18th 2015 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Isismom (Post 11594016)
Thanks, Im hoping to visit before I move so maybe I can get things moving then, get all this done while there and open a bank account too using my parents address as a temp one:)

To open an UK bank account the bank will probably require proof of residency. Utility bills in your name, electoral roll etc.