British Naturalisation Rejection

Old May 20th 2022, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Homely1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Naturalisation Rejection

I am a British Citizen from birth but my husband and step-daughter are South African. I was living in SA for several years and moved to UK with my family in August 2016.

They both obtained ILR in December 2021. My step-daughter was 19 at this time and attending 2nd year University. All of the Visa’s they have needed to live in UK she has always been as a dependant on her father and been part of his application.

I have read many times, including on the Government Website, that an applicant, if married to a British Citizen, can apply for immediate Naturalisation once they have obtained ILR. As my step-daughter is still a dependant on her father, we also included her on the application for naturalisation as we did on all the others.

A few days ago we received an email to say that her application had been rejected. Reason stated : that she can only apply for naturalisation12 months after obtaining ILR.

Does anyone know why having myself as a step-mother and is still a dependant she has to wait 12 months ?

We have not yet been notified of the Naturalisation application status for my husband.

Thank you in advance .

Old May 20th 2022, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Naturalisation Rejection

an applicant, if married to a British Citizen, can apply for immediate Naturalisation once they have obtained ILR.

Your step daughter is not married to a British citizen.
Old May 20th 2022, 11:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If she has ILR then she’s no longer a dependant. She’ll need to apply again in December.
Old May 21st 2022, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Homely1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If she has ILR then she’s no longer a dependant. She’ll need to apply again in December.
Thanks for responding. So, my step-daughter doesn't have the same entitlement as my husband even though she has been on the same application for all of the previous Visas they applied for ? (Although we have not yet received my husbands response).

Are you absolutely sure this decision is correct and I have no recourse to send in a decision review to the Home Office ?

My next concern would be that in December 2022 my ST will still be at University and therefore have no income to support herself. How will this effect her Naturalisation application ?
Old May 21st 2022, 10:38 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Homely1
Thanks for responding. So, my step-daughter doesn't have the same entitlement as my husband even though she has been on the same application for all of the previous Visas they applied for ? (Although we have not yet received my husbands response).

Are you absolutely sure this decision is correct and I have no recourse to send in a decision review to the Home Office ?

My next concern would be that in December 2022 my ST will still be at University and therefore have no income to support herself. How will this effect her Naturalisation application ?
If she had been under 18 she could’ve been included on her father’s application and registered as a British citizen. As she is an adult she needs to apply to naturalise on her own merit. That she was previously a dependant on her father’s visa is irrelevant. Income is also irrelevant to a citizenship application. Immigration and nationality law are only tangentially connected so don’t assume the same criteria still apply.