British nationality by descent

Old Dec 13th 2013, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Vivek sood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British nationality by descent

Can I acquire British passport. ???my father (expired) had a British passport at the time of my birth.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: British nationality by descent

I was born in India and reside in India.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Am I eligible ???
Old Dec 13th 2013, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on a lot of factors such as how your father got his citizenship, when you were born, whether your parents were married at the time or later, etc.

The UKBA homepage has a good overview on citizenship, start there and come back when you've got directrix questions to individual points.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

My father (expired) was working as an inland revenue inspector in late 1970's.He probably stayed in England in and around 8 years. During his stay, he applied for the British passport and was awarded. He got married to an Indian holding Indian passport in 1972.My mother came to England on my father's invitation.Marriage has been registered in REDBRIDGE,ENGLAND.After staying few months in England, she left for India, where I was born in 1973.I and my mother are residing in India.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Where was your father born? How did he obtain British citizenship? Naturalisation? When?
Old Dec 13th 2013, 10:30 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If your father naturalised as a British Citizen (or as a Citizen of the UK and Colonies before 1983) before you were born then the chances are you are a British Citizen by descent. If he naturalised after you were born and you weren't included on the application then you won't have become British.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

My father was born in LAHORE now in PAKISTAN in 1940.He got British citizenship by naturalisation in 1971.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:48 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vivek sood
My father was born in LAHORE now in PAKISTAN in 1940.He got British citizenship by naturalisation in 1971.
If your father became British in 1971 and you were born in 1973 then as long as your parents were married when you were born you should be eligible for a British passport. You'll need his naturalisation certificate to make the application.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Dec 15th 2013, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

I am having following documents of my father:
(A) ORIGINAL :-
(1) latest British passport and
(2) sponsor certificate (mother's invitation).
(B) PHOTOCOPY : -
(1)Marriage Certificate -registered in REDBRIDGE, England.
(C)Naturalization Certificate -I have gone through the website www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue and found the following details:
Reference no. (SNIP)
Certificate registration no. (SNIP)
Date of issue 03/11/71
Now I want to know1) to apply for British Passport ,how many documents are necessary ???

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Dec 20th 2013 at 9:42 am. Reason: Reg nos removed
Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:07 pm

You'll need your parents' original marriage certificate. You can order this from the GRO: http://www.gro.gov.uk/

You'll also need your father's naturalisation certificate. If you don't have it then you'll need to order a copy from the National Archives.

Finally you'll need your birth certificate with a certified English translation if necessary.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 7:32 am
Just Joined

FaeLLe is an unknown quantity at this point

You might want to delete the details of your fathers naturalisation etc. from this post, it is sensitive information and not required for helping you with a response
Old Dec 20th 2013, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Thanks
Old Dec 20th 2013, 9:41 am
Just Joined

FaeLLe is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you also share with others how you managed to get details such as reference number of his naturalisation certificate?
Old Mar 5th 2014, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

I filled an application form for British passport on Feb 17 ,which was received by British high commission,new Delhi.. With my form I sent only the photocopies(and that only in black and white).They reposted my application form stating that they need original documents(for name and address proof) with colour copy.And for passports all pages,even blank pages, should be colour copied.
I ordered(standard mail) my father's marriage certificate through the above mentioned website.I received an e-mail that my order has been fulfilled and I also received the scanned copy of my order.l am still waiting to receive my order by post.
l also ordered the naturalisation certificate, which I received in digital format.(downloaded in black and white) .
Now my question is if I repost my application form(1) will they accept the scanned marriage certificate and (2)the naturalization certificate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.