Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British expat in NL, need help bringing my American spouse to UK

British expat in NL, need help bringing my American spouse to UK

Old May 10th 2015, 9:54 am
Just Joined

owenmeany is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British expat in NL, need help bringing my American spouse to UK

Hello!

I have been married 15 years to my American husband. During this time we have lived in the Netherlands. I have worked tax free within the NATO affiliation. My husband works for NATO but as an American he pays American taxes. We want to retire next year and move to the UK to be with the family. There appears to be be many stumbling blocks.

In this specific situation, what are the legitimate methods for my husband to be able to move with me. I have been talking to an adviser who has mentioned the Surinder Singh route, and wonder if there are any other areas that we should explore? If so, could you outline them for me? Also, has anyone been in a similar situation to us, and if so, could you post your experience.

Any help that anyone can offer will be of great assistance.

Thank you for your time!
Old May 10th 2015, 10:01 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British expat in NL, need help bringing my American spouse to UK

on the basis that you are both presently resident in the NL, that you have lived & worked there for a period of time, that your husband has a NL resident permit (ordinary residence) or even a permanent residence card, then he could apply for a 'family permit' to enter the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/overview

https://uk.tlscontact.com/nl/ams/pag...id=center_info

once done & you arrive in the UK, then he would apply for a 'Residence card '

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card

If you are no longer living or working in the NL but either in the states or the UK, then the Surinder Singh route is one option available to you.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Surinder_Singh

The other option

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spouse_Immigration-UK

Last edited by not2old; May 10th 2015 at 10:19 am.
Old May 10th 2015, 9:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The Surinder Singh route, if open to you, is by far the best way to go in terms of cost. The alternative would be go for a spousal visa which will attracts high fees and a financial requirement in terms of your income/savings.

However be aware that the UK is tightening up the rules regarding access to the NHS including for those entering the UK under EU/EEA regulations. As you will be retiring to the UK you will be considered to be self-sufficient and therefore your husband will require Comprehensive Sickness Insurance for five years. He will then be eligible for Permanent Residence and he can then apply to naturalise as a British citizen.
Old May 11th 2015, 1:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The Surinder Singh route, if open to you, is by far the best way to go in terms of cost. The alternative would be go for a spousal visa which will attracts high fees and a financial requirement in terms of your income/savings.

However be aware that the UK is tightening up the rules regarding access to the NHS including for those entering the UK under EU/EEA regulations. As you will be retiring to the UK you will be considered to be self-sufficient and therefore your husband will require Comprehensive Sickness Insurance for five years. He will then be eligible for Permanent Residence and he can then apply to naturalise as a British citizen.
Correction: If your husband enters the UK under the Surinder Singh route then he does not need Comprehensive Sickness Insurance. It would be advisable however for him to apply for his residence card as soon as possible once you arrive to allow him to travel in and out the UK freely and provide ease of access to the NHS and other services.
Old May 13th 2015, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

owenmeany is an unknown quantity at this point

not2old & BritInParis: You have both been very helpful with all of the details you gave me. I did have a little idea of the route we should take, but your information made me a little more confident.
My husband does have private health insurance and he now knows that this is a positive.

I value any information in relation to this situation that can be offered.

Many thanks
Old May 13th 2015, 6:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, does he have a NL residence permit, as well as, have you both been living & working in NL for more than six months, if so, then you;d have met the minimum requirement for the family permit via the Surinder Singh route?

As mentioned in post# 4, if he decides to go the Surinder Singh route with the 'Family permit', then this may be the best option for him, rather than the 'family of a settled person' visa