British citizenship - Unemployed

Old Mar 27th 2015, 4:19 am
Just Joined

ben.n.c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizenship - Unemployed

Hi,

I am planning on applying for British citizenship by descent through my unmarried father after April 6, I was reading the forms and it asks what your occupation is, Is this just asking for what you generally work as or currently work as?

I might come up with a couple other questions but I will ask them here instead of creating a new thread.

Thanks, Ben
Old Mar 27th 2015, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

knighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really nice
Default Re: British citizenship - Unemployed

Originally Posted by ben.n.c
Hi,

I am planning on applying for British citizenship by descent through my unmarried father after April 6, I was reading the forms and it asks what your occupation is, Is this just asking for what you generally work as or currently work as?

I might come up with a couple other questions but I will ask them here instead of creating a new thread.

Thanks, Ben
The question is about, what you do for a living?

It's just a simple question.

If you don't have a job, then put unemployed. Or if you're retired, then put retiree.

Do pay in mind that they sometimes ask for CVs/resume. The HMPO asked me to send them one for my application.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 8:45 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizenship - Unemployed

Originally Posted by ben.n.c
Hi,

Thanks, Ben
I presume you're referring to the new Form UKF?

Given that the question is in the 'Good Character Requirement' section it's to ensure you are of good character (and you have paid your taxes).

From Guide UKF:

SECTION 2: GOOD CHARACTER

To be of good character you should show respect for the rights and freedoms of the United Kingdom, have observed its laws and fulfilled your duties and obligations as a resident of the United Kingdom. Checks will be carried out to ensure that the information you give is correct.

If you are not honest about the information you provide and you are registered on the basis of incorrect or fraudulent information you will be liable to have British citizenship taken away (deprivation) and you may be prosecuted. It is a criminal offence to make a false declaration knowing that it is untrue.
If you're unemployed then just be truthful. If you're claiming unemployment benefits and you put down that you're working they are liable to think you are committing benefit fraud which is unlikely to go well as far as your application for citizenship is concerned.

Last edited by BritInParis; Mar 27th 2015 at 8:47 am.