British citizenship by triple descent

Old Jul 22nd 2018, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Martywilliam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizenship by triple descent

Hi all

I am looking in to British citizenship as my daughter has a British passport through my wife, who unfortunately passed away in March.
I don't think I am eligible for citizenship through our marriage as we were married for less than 2 years and we were not living in the UK when she died.

so my family history is as follows:

I was born in 1986 in south africa
my mother (British passport) was born in Northern rhodesia ( now zambia) in 1950. Her father (British passport) was born in south africa. My great grand parents in that line were born in the UK.

I have been researching this but to no avail. If anybody could give any info or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 8:34 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizenship by triple descent

Are you aware of how your mother was eligible for a British passport? Any Crown service in the relevant line?
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply!

I think that she was eligible by descent. No, there was no crown service in my family.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 1:07 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Eligibility by 'double' descent is rare; 'triple' descent rarer still. Without the presence of Crown service or statelessness it would be nigh impossible. Unfortunately you are not eligible for a UK Ancestry visa without a UK-born grandparent. What about your father's side of the family? Is it your intention to move to the UK with your daughter?
Old Aug 5th 2018, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Nothing on my father's side, unfortunately.
yes I would be going with my daughter. I have been looking at a parents visa but not sure how to go about it. It seems that she would have to be living in the UK at the time of application. I'm not sure if I'd be able to world on this visa or if a job offer would be able to cover the financial requirements.
Old Aug 5th 2018, 7:59 pm

This situation will need some more work but I'm off on holiday for ten days so we'll continue the discussion when I get back.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 11:14 am

I think your mother's status is key. A Subject Access Request made to HMPO regarding her eligibility to British citizenship should tell you more.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...s-request-form
Old Nov 21st 2019, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

JaredUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

I am also hoping someone can help/assist me with this 'Triple Descent', by which my sister and I believe that we could acquire British Citizenship. It appears from our research that we fit the conditions very well under the Triple Descent criteria.
If anyone can assist or is interested, i have all the information at hand. Thank you!
Nationality law can be quite overwhelming yet fascinating.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never heard the expression "triple descent" people use "double descent" but even this term has no legal basis. What do you mean to convey by "triple descent" ?

https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizenship

Last edited by scot47; Nov 21st 2019 at 6:53 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaredUK
Hello all,

I am also hoping someone can help/assist me with this 'Triple Descent', by which my sister and I believe that we could acquire British Citizenship. It appears from our research that we fit the conditions very well under the Triple Descent criteria.
If anyone can assist or is interested, i have all the information at hand. Thank you!
Nationality law can be quite overwhelming yet fascinating.
Please inform us as to your research which leads you to believe you qualify.......
Old Nov 24th 2019, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Hi guys, thanks for your reply/interest, I think our case is quite interesting and unique.
Here below is the criteria indicated for 'triple descent' and my family particulars below. The 'triple descent' term seems to be a term coined by Sable International. The information i have sourced is from their website regarding 'triple descent'
We did do a report with them where they indicated there's a 90 - 95% likeliness of acquiring British Citizenship though this route. Of course, there may be also other routes that I unaware of.

Conditions for 'Triple Descent (Federal Dissolution)' are as follows:
  • Born anywhere;
  • Born after 01.01.1983;
  • Has a parent born in Northern Rhodesia or Nyasaland (the two areas of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland, but EXCLUDING Southern Rhodesia) between 01.03.1958 and 31.12.1963;
  • The relevant grandfather (so the father of the relevant parent born as per above) born OUTSIDE of the UK (i.e. NOT born in the UK);
  • The relevant grandmother (the mother of the relevant person born as per above) born in the UK; AND
  • The relevant grandfather’s father born in the UK or any territory that was a Colony, Protectorate or Protected State as of 01.01.1964.
My family particulars:

I was born in South Africa 28.04.1989

Father, born in Malawi/Nyasaland 27.03.1959
Mother born in South Africa 20.07.1962

Paternal Grandfather, born in Malawi/Nyasaland 11.01.1934
Paternal Grandmother, born in the UK 23.04.1940

Maternal Grandfather, born in South Africa 22.06.1922
Maternal Grandmother, born in South Africa 13.06.1930

Paternal Great-Grandfather, born in the UK 23.05.1893 (Paternal grandfathers side)
Paternal Great-Grandmother, born in the UK (Paternal grandfathers side)

I have more detailed family info if need be. Also Maternal Great-Grandparents.

If you compare the family tree information to the criteria of 'triple decent', you will see that it fits perfectly.
My understanding is that via this route, a potential citizenship would actually come down from my Great-Grandfather. Am i correct?

Is there anyone out there who is a wiz at citizenship law and can make sense of this?

Thank you for your time
Old Nov 24th 2019, 3:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anyone out there who is a wiz at citizenship law and can make sense of this?
That would be our lovely BritinParis, but I believe he's on holiday at the mo, so you may have to be patient.

Seems odd to me that somebody could get citizenship from a great-grandparent as it's just so far removed, but BiP is the man to tell you! Others may also know, if so they'll help, best of luck.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys, thanks for your reply/interest, I think our case is quite interesting and unique.
Here below is the criteria indicated for 'triple descent' and my family particulars below. The 'triple descent' term seems to be a term coined by Sable International. The information i have sourced is from their website regarding 'triple descent'
We did do a report with them where they indicated there's a 90 - 95% likeliness of acquiring British Citizenship though this route. Of course, there may be also other routes that I unaware of.

Conditions for 'Triple Descent (Federal Dissolution)' are as follows:
  • Born anywhere;
  • Born after 01.01.1983;
  • Has a parent born in Northern Rhodesia or Nyasaland (the two areas of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland, but EXCLUDING Southern Rhodesia) between 01.03.1958 and 31.12.1963;
  • The relevant grandfather (so the father of the relevant parent born as per above) born OUTSIDE of the UK (i.e. NOT born in the UK);
  • The relevant grandmother (the mother of the relevant person born as per above) born in the UK; AND
  • The relevant grandfather’s father born in the UK or any territory that was a Colony, Protectorate or Protected State as of 01.01.1964.
My family particulars:

I was born in South Africa 28.04.1989

Father, born in Malawi/Nyasaland 27.03.1959
Mother born in South Africa 20.07.1962

Paternal Grandfather, born in Malawi/Nyasaland 11.01.1934
Paternal Grandmother, born in the UK 23.04.1940

Maternal Grandfather, born in South Africa 22.06.1922
Maternal Grandmother, born in South Africa 13.06.1930

Paternal Great-Grandfather, born in the UK 23.05.1893 (Paternal grandfathers side)
Paternal Great-Grandmother, born in the UK (Paternal grandfathers side)

I have more detailed family info if need be. Also Maternal Great-Grandparents.

If you compare the family tree information to the criteria of 'triple decent', you will see that it fits perfectly.
My understanding is that via this route, a potential citizenship would actually come down from my Great-Grandfather. Am i correct?

Thank you for your time
If your claim has been assessed as 90+ percent on the Sable/ AKA Philip Gamble database then it is likely to be valid, though it would need to be verified by them individually.. Philip Gamble is a long established expert on British Nationality law, and yours is a complex claim so it is unlikely that any members here will be able to advise you other than possibly Britinparis.
Old Nov 30th 2019, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses guys
Ah yes, i see BritInParis is quite an active community member and seems like an expert regarding Nationality law.
Yeah, its a fascinating claim as it is complex, especially with the 90+ percent indication. Indeed Philip Gamble is big and well established, they were also helpful up to certain point.
But im looking forward hopefully to a gracious response from BritInParis when hes back and perhaps get a discussion going
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 12:28 pm

I’m here but this one will require me to find a free hour or so to sit down and piece through it all which is proving to be difficult to pin down with the festive season ramping up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.