British citizenship through birth?

Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:22 am
Just Joined

smzaidi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizenship through birth?

I was born on fourth june 1986 in UK. However, me and my parents never lived in UK for long after my birth. My parents aren't british citizens. How do I go about becoming a British citizen myself since I was born in UK? Would I be able to apply for a British Passport also?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizenship through birth?

Originally Posted by smzaidi
I was born on fourth june 1986 in UK. However, me and my parents never lived in UK for long after my birth. My parents aren't british citizens. How do I go about becoming a British citizen myself since I was born in UK? Would I be able to apply for a British Passport also?
No, you can't get British citizenship or a passport purely by being born there.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

Really I thought if the young lady had a british birth certificate..since she says she was born in the UK? then it was automatic...and she could also apply for her passport from her brit/birth cert?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:57 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

As long as one of the parents was legally resident (not necessarily a citizen) the only exception is if your parents were diplomats, so as long as the parents were resident then they probably do qualify as a british citizen.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...yingterritory/

Last edited by iaink; Apr 27th 2009 at 5:00 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dewdrop
Really I thought if the young lady had a british birth certificate..since she says she was born in the UK? then it was automatic...and she could also apply for her passport from her brit/birth cert?

No, since she was born after 1st January 1983, she would need to be born in the UK to a British parent to obtain British citizenship and a passport. From above it does not sound like the parents were legally settled, which means ordinarily resident and without any time limits on their stay.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Apr 27th 2009 at 5:14 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

No, since she was born after 1st January 1983, she would need to be born in the UK to a British parent to obtain British citizenship and a passport. From above it does not sound like the parents were legally settled, which means ordinarily resident and without any time limits on their stay.
ahh, i see...
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

I think more information is required.

What was the UK immigration status of your parents at your birth?
Do you or your parent's have any other links to the UK?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 2:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...United_Kingdom
Old Apr 30th 2009, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was changed as people could nip over on holiday have the baby and instant citizen