Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizenship through ancestory and criminal record

British citizenship through ancestory and criminal record

Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default British citizenship through ancestory and criminal record

Hi Everyone,

Ive been looking and looking for these answers and I cant seem to find it which is unlike me. anywho wonder if anyone can help me answer them.

My bf wants to get his British Passport however not sure if he is eligible.

His grandfather was born in Northern Ireland so is ancestory available from grandparents? he was born prior to 1983.

Also he has a DUI conviction stupid idiot. could that hinder the proceedings as well?

Thanks
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizenship through ancestory and criminal record

No idea, but has he looked here? http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/

I doubt he can get UKC from a grandparent, but that should tell him.

As this is about the UK, rather than Canada, I'll move it to the MBTTUK forum. Hopefully JAJ (the resident pro!) may then see it and be able to help.

HTH.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No idea, but has he looked here? http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/

I doubt he can get UKC from a grandparent, but that should tell him.

As this is about the UK, rather than Canada, I'll move it to the MBTTUK forum. Hopefully JAJ (the resident pro!) may then see it and be able to help.

HTH.
Thanks Christmasoompa, i didnt really know where to put it to be honest, after some searching he cant get his British passport, but i think there may be a slim chance he can get his Irish.

He could get a right to remain in the UK, but we are thinking of going to Europe and working thats why he wants the passport.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:43 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=267
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Mallory, just one questions if you know the answer.

His grandfather was born in Belfast, on that and other websites they use the term 'Island or Ireland' am i right to assume that encompasses Northern Ireland as well?
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:54 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21

His grandfather was born in Belfast, on that and other websites they use the term 'Island or Ireland' am i right to assume that encompasses Northern Ireland as well?
Sorry, I don't know. JAJ would be the person to ask.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Island - Lump of rock surrounded by a body of water.
Northern Ireland - Part of the United Kingdom, situated on the island of Ireland.
Ireland - Eire, the Irish republic, separate country in the island of Ireland.

Google is also a useful resource.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Island - Lump of rock surrounded by a body of water.
Northern Ireland - Part of the United Kingdom, situated on the island of Ireland.
Ireland - Eire, the Irish republic, separate country in the island of Ireland.

Google is also a useful resource.
So you can get citizenship for Ireland then if grandparent was born in NI? Thats what im trying to establish. I might seem thick but im just trying to clarify.

And google is awesome im using that as well as the resources of BE, thanks

Last edited by britishvixen21; Sep 6th 2011 at 3:01 pm. Reason: didnt need to be a smartass
Old Sep 6th 2011, 3:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

So you can get citizenship for Ireland then if grandparent was born in NI? Thats what im trying to establish. I might seem thick but im just trying to clarify.

And google is awesome im using that as well as the resources of BE, thanks
Ireland is on the same piece of rock, but a separate country to Northern Ireland.

This should sort it out for you.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...utcitizenship/
Old Sep 6th 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Ireland is on the same piece of rock, but a separate country to Northern Ireland.

This should sort it out for you.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...utcitizenship/
I know that, but from what it says the Island or Ireland is all emcompassing thats what im trying to establish, the UK passport is a no go, but im wondering if the Irish passport is a possibility.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 3:52 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

try looking at this I wonder if this is more appropriate, you have not mentioned anything about his parents so imagine they were not British
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...g/wrk2/wrk2-3/
Old Sep 6th 2011, 4:02 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

From having a little look about it looks like the country of Ireland considers people born on the actual island of Ireland to be Irish, if they want to be even those born in Northern Ireland. If the parents were registered then you can claim citizenship through the grandparents or something like that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_nationality_law

Heres the official website of the Irish immigration.
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Citizenship_FAQs Theres a bit on citizenship by descent. I'm sure you could email and ask questions maybe?
Old Sep 6th 2011, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
From having a little look about it looks like the country of Ireland considers people born on the actual island of Ireland to be Irish, if they want to be even those born in Northern Ireland. If the parents were registered then you can claim citizenship through the grandparents or something like that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_nationality_law

Heres the official website of the Irish immigration.
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Citizenship_FAQs Theres a bit on citizenship by descent. I'm sure you could email and ask questions maybe?
Thats awesome thanks, and just the clarification i was looking for. I also sent an email to the Embassy here in Canada and they got back to me within an hour with the application form. have sent another email asking for clarification regarding the North and South Irish thingey me jigger. Hopefully we have a way in lol

His parents were not born in Ireland no, both Canadian. but his Grandfather was born in NI. His Mums family are Italian lol so maybe thats a way in too!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

just out of curiousity , did the grandparents register the births of their children abroad? , I only ask as my wifes grandfather was irish but didnt register the births of his children abroad and was curious as to whether she would be able to get an irish passport...would save on some money for the spouse visa for her i think for when we are going back to live in the UK hehe
Old Sep 6th 2011, 4:24 pm
In the pink

Originally Posted by paulpur
just out of curiousity , did the grandparents register the births of their children abroad? , I only ask as my wifes grandfather was irish but didnt register the births of his children abroad and was curious as to whether she would be able to get an irish passport...would save on some money for the spouse visa for her i think for when we are going back to live in the UK hehe
She would need the GP birth cert, the parent birth cert, and then her birth cert, to prove the family tree.

If she can do that, then I think she can get an EU/Irish passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.