British Citizenship and Passport Name after divorce

Old May 8th 2008, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Mauritius52 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Citizenship and Passport Name after divorce

I have a British Citizen passport and my wife (originally French) also obtained a British Citizen passport, in her married name, subsequent to our marriage many years ago.

For most of our married life, we have lived outside of the UK, many years in Belgium and have had our passports renewed in Belgium.

However, we are to divorce and my wife will resume using her maiden name, which does not appear anywhere on her British passport.

Will there be any incidence on her British Citizenship?

How should she officialize her name change for her passport renewal?

Thank you.
Old May 8th 2008, 3:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship and Passport Name after divorce

Originally Posted by Mauritius52
I have a British Citizen passport and my wife (originally French) also obtained a British Citizen passport, in her married name, subsequent to our marriage many years ago.

For most of our married life, we have lived outside of the UK, many years in Belgium and have had our passports renewed in Belgium.

However, we are to divorce and my wife will resume using her maiden name, which does not appear anywhere on her British passport.

Will there be any incidence on her British Citizenship?

How should she officialize her name change for her passport renewal?

Thank you.
This is a forum for immigration to the USA. You might want to browse around the British Expats site and see if another forum better suits your question.

Or perhaps a Mod can move his post?

Rene
Old May 8th 2008, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Citizenship and Passport Name after divorce

Originally Posted by Noorah101
This is a forum for immigration to the USA. You might want to browse around the British Expats site and see if another forum better suits your question.

Or perhaps a Mod can move his post?

Rene
Thank so much.
If a Moderator could help in getting this to a better suited forum, that would be very appreciated.
Old May 8th 2008, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizenship and Passport Name after divorce

From www.britainusa.com (check the British embassy site for your current country of residence):

"You should complete Form C1

You should send your current passport and if:

b) your name has changed following the termination of your marriage, you must enclose your divorce certificate(s) and your original birth certificate if returning to your maiden name.

It is also possible to have your passport endorsed “Holder is also known as...” on production of satisfactory evidence that you have changed your name such as your Alien Registration Card.

For all other changes to your personal details you should consult the notes provided with the application form."

She doesn't lose her citizenship as far as I am aware.
Old May 9th 2008, 3:06 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Once you have UK citizenship, it's very rare to lose it or have it taken from you.
Old May 10th 2008, 1:18 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few discussions about British Citizenship etc in the Moving Back to the UK forum. I know that you are not moving back but have moved this thread there for you as I feel that you may get more responses to your question in that forum.

Sue
Old May 10th 2008, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much Sue.