British Citizenship/Passport by Double Decent

Old Mar 6th 2017, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Halim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Citizenship/Passport by Double Decent

Sorry, I just wanted to add one more thing. Apparently, prior to 1 January 1949, all South Africans were British subjects under UK and South African nationality law at the time. Apparently they remained British subjects up until the time SA left the commonwealth in 1961, and by that time my father had already settled in the UK.

So, British subjects who didn't become South African (I don't believe my father did) generally became CUKC given they had no connection with any other commonwealth country (which he didnt). The question is: whether in his own right as a British subject and having settled in the UK prior to 1961, my father was a British citizen otherwise than by descent. In other words, is it possible he gained his status as a UK citizen this way, and not merely because his father was born in the UK?

Last edited by Halim; Mar 6th 2017 at 10:11 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:43 am
Just Joined

Sorry to bombard you with another post, but I just found out from my uncle that Patrick's wife (Jessie) received a widow's war pension from the U.K. directly after his death. Why would they do this if he wasn't in service to the crown? Unless this was a common thing for the U.K. to do for widows of commonwealth soldiers who were killed in action.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Halim
I am a US citizen, born in the US (in 1987) to a British father and an American mother. However, my father was born in Mozambique in 1940. His father, my paternal grandfather, was born in London in 1913. My grandfather's family settled in South Africa after he was born (not sure of the exact year). During word war 2, he served as lieutenant for the SAAF. He was shot down over Italy fighting for the commonwealth forces in Europe in 1944 and was buried in a cemetery dedicated to commonwealth soldiers in southern Italy (visited his grave there).

Halim
Halim

Any chance if you can get a hold of South African citizenship?

If your grandfather was born in London in 1913, then with South African citizenship, as a Commonwealth citizen, you can apply for an UK Ancestry visa, which will enable you to live and work in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview
Old Mar 7th 2017, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the help HKG3.

BritInParis suggested the same thing. It may be possible for me to do that, but it gets even more complicated. If my father was already a South African citizen and had a SA passport, then it shouldn't be a problem. However, as I said, he never held a SA passport and never applied for citizenship because he left Africa for England from Rhodesia in 1959 on a British passport.

He also isn't in possession of his birth certificate anymore, as I said, and I'm not sure where to look for it. He seems to think that it is was registered with the SA consulate in Laurenco Marques, but he tried applying to Pretoria a few years ago and never received a response. In those days, it's also possible that they never registered his birth with any consulate. Anyway, it would be appear he would have to apply for SA citizenship now through his father's service with SAAF. Even after that was all done, I'm not sure I could get it. I don't know if SA nationality law is the same as the UK. It's a shame there's that commonwealth stipulation for the ancestry visa.

In the mean time, out of genuine interest, i'll be doing some research on how to get a certified copy of his birth certificate (if it's even possible).
Old Mar 7th 2017, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Halim
He also isn't in possession of his birth certificate anymore, as I said, and I'm not sure where to look for it. He seems to think that it is was registered with the SA consulate in Laurenco Marques, but he tried applying to Pretoria a few years ago and never received a response. In those days, it's also possible that they never registered his birth with any consulate. Anyway, it would be appear he would have to apply for SA citizenship now through his father's service with SAAF. Even after that was all done, I'm not sure I could get it. I don't know if SA nationality law is the same as the UK. It's a shame there's that commonwealth stipulation for the ancestry visa.

In the mean time, out of genuine interest, i'll be doing some research on how to get a certified copy of his birth certificate (if it's even possible).
Have you try the GRO at Southport? My understanding is that it also holds British consular birth records as well.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:30 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I will write a longer reply when I get the time but for now I would follow HKG3's suggestion and apply to the General Register Office for a copy of your father's consular birth certificate. It only costs £9.25 for the standard service and your fee will be refunded if they cannot find it.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 7:59 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sathakjaffar
Dear BritInParis

Please help me in this case it will be very help for me.

My grand father (mother's father) born on 1910 at India

He Moved to Malaysia And get British Citizenship and British Passport on 1954 ( I have his British Passport & Registration Copy)

My mother born on 1952 at India

I was Born in 1980 at India.

in this situation

Am I eligible to get UK Right of Abode from My Grandfather?

Please help me in this case it will be very help for me.
Hello. Asking the same question across multiple threads will just confuse people. The thread you started a few hours ago with the same question will be answered if someone can help you. Good luck.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

sathakjaffar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hello. Asking the same question across multiple threads will just confuse people. The thread you started a few hours ago with the same question will be answered if someone can help you. Good luck.

Ok Sorry...today only I know about this forum...

So I ask it...

OK i am waiting...
Old Mar 16th 2017, 8:32 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sathakjaffar
Ok Sorry...today only I know about this forum...

So I ask it...

OK i am waiting...
That's ok -hopefully someone will be along to answer your thread
Old Jan 26th 2018, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Shelb21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

I have been doing some research on this but was wondering if anyone else could potentially assist me in any way. Im trying to get some advice about my possible eligibility to get British Citizenship.

My maternal, grandfather (UK Born) was in the BSAP in Rhodesia (which is considered Crown Service from what I can make out). He met my grandmother in Rhodesia, she was born in Rhodesia had British citizenship due to decent as her parents were born in England.

My Mother was born in Rhodesia on 19 January 1956. He was in the BSAP in Rhodesia at the time my mother was born. My Grandparents remained in Rhodesia, and never returned to England.

My mother now lives in Botswana and has British citizenship due to decent.

I was born in Zimbabwe on the 21 April 1984.

Is it possible to claim British Citizenship by descent because of my grandfather's time in the BSAP in Rhodesia?

If it is possible, does anyone know how I go about all this?

My Aunt has birth, marriage & death certificates for both my grandparents. I'm not sure what, if any documents she has to show his time in the BSAP in Rhodesia, but I am sure we would be able to find some.

I am hoping that someone might be able to help me with this.

Thanks so much!
Old Jan 26th 2018, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shelb21

My maternal, grandfather (UK Born) was in the BSAP in Rhodesia (which is considered Crown Service from what I can make out). He met my grandmother in Rhodesia, she was born in Rhodesia had British citizenship due to decent as her parents were born in England.
Service in the BSAP alone cannot be considered as 'Crown Service' under the British Nationality Act. Was your grandfather recruited in the UK by the BSAP?
Old Jan 26th 2018, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Shelb21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HKG3
Service in the BSAP alone cannot be considered as 'Crown Service' under the British Nationality Act. Was your grandfather recruited in the UK by the BSAP?
Not too sure, I will have to ask my aunt if she knows or if she has any paperwork to show that he was. He was part of the RAF but that was before my mother was born and before he moved to Rhodesia. And from what I understand the 2 are not linked at all.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The OP appears to be asking if he can claim British citizenship through his grandparents.? Which to my understand one cannot.

The OP says his mother is British by descent. So, she cannot pass her citizenship to the OP automatically.

The OP was born in Zimbabwe.

Unless he has a British father (not by descent) I don't think he has any claim to British citizenship.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 10:06 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few anomalies regarding Rhodesia although from what I know the dates regarding your birth and your mother's birth do not add up to a claim. The standard claim through a parent born overseas to a parent in Crown service only works if the grandparent in question was recruited for that service in the UK. If your grandfather emigrated to Rhodesia of his own accord before joining the BSAP then his service would not be eligible.

However with a UK-born grandparent you are eligible for a UK Ancestry visa. If you wish to live and work in the UK then this is by far the easiest way for a non-British/Irish/EU/EEA citizen to do so. After five years you could apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK and then naturalise a year after that (or immediately if married to a British citizen.)
Old Jan 27th 2018, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

As BIP states that there are some anomalies regarding Rhodesia and an Ancestry visa in your case is an option.
For those reading born between certain dates (unfortunately not you) there is a claim to British Citizenship via a uk Born Grandparent despite the parent being 'by descent'. Not sure if I put it correctly but you can read more here about a test case that succeeded.

SUMMARY
f you were born in Rhodesia between 02.03.1970 and 18.04.1980 and you have a UK-born grandfather (which includes Northern Ireland), then you should qualify for British Nationality.
https://www.facebook.com/PhilipGambl...46009632076471

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.