British Citizenship/Passport by Double Decent

Old Apr 20th 2015, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Mat_Walsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Citizenship/Passport by Double Decent

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Might be tricky if you're in South Africa. You can post a list of what you have though
Yes. Original in the sense that they are as issued, no photocopies.
Hi There

Do you know what documents are required from my side?
- Birth Certificate - Do i need a Vault Copy or Unabridged?
- Parents Birth & Marriage Certificate - Do i need a Vault Copy or Unabridged?

I am busy getting all the forms and info together and i am not sure what certificates they will accept.

Thank You
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi There

I also have Two siblings.
- Born July 1977
- Born April 1979

Will they qualify for any of the above or is it only me who will qualify for a British Passport?

Thank You
Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mat_Walsh
Hi There

Do you know what documents are required from my side?
- Birth Certificate - Do i need a Vault Copy or Unabridged?
- Parents Birth & Marriage Certificate - Do i need a Vault Copy or Unabridged?

I am busy getting all the forms and info together and i am not sure what certificates they will accept.

Thank You
I'm not hugely familiar with South African documentation but I would hazard a guess at Unabridged if they contain the most detail.

Hi There

I also have Two siblings.
- Born July 1977
- Born April 1979

Will they qualify for any of the above or is it only me who will qualify for a British Passport?

Thank You
Since your siblings were born before 1983 they wouldn't qualify automatically but they could apply for registration as British citizens under Section 4C using Form MN1. More information here:

https://www.gov.uk/register-british-...british-mother
Old May 27th 2015, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi Everyone

Thank you for all the help.
I am busy getting all my documents together and trying to round up all the information so that i can submit my application forms.

Just a final few questions....
1. My mother applied for a received her British Passport +/- 8 - 10 years ago. I am not sure if she applied and received it by descent or otherwise than by descent. Does this matter in my case? Am i applying based on my grandfathers crowne service or does how my mother received her british passport matter?

2. Would it be a good idea to submit a cover letter explaining the British by Double Descent or will they work that out when i send in all the records?

3. If this all goes through do i become a british citizen or do i just get my passport? What is the difference?

Thank you again for the help.

Last edited by Mat_Walsh; May 27th 2015 at 9:43 pm.
Old May 27th 2015, 11:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Thank you for all the help.
I am busy getting all my documents together and trying to round up all the information so that i can submit my application forms.
Just a final few questions....
1. My mother applied for a received her British Passport +/- 8 - 10 years ago. I am not sure if she applied and received it by descent or otherwise than by descent. Does this matter in my case? Am i applying based on my grandfathers crowne service or does how my mother received her british passport matter?
If the passport examiner was not made aware of your grandfather's Crown service then she was probably noted as being British by descent on the system. It would be irrelevant in any case - your passport application will be assessed on its own merits.

2. Would it be a good idea to submit a cover letter explaining the British by Double Descent or will they work that out when i send in all the records?
It wouldn't do any harm to explain why you think you have a claim - British grandfather in UK recruited Crown service when your mother was born.

3. If this all goes through do i become a british citizen or do i just get my passport? What is the difference?

Thank you again for the help.
Passports are issued to citizens. Obtaining a British passport doesn't make you British - you need to be a British citizen before you can obtain a British passport.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Hi Everyone

Just an update on my progress.
I received my Grandfathers Papers today from the MOD.

It states the following
- 10/01/1940 1 R.C. Uxbridge
- 16/01/1940 2 R.T.P Uxbridge

Discharge
- 31/03/1946

Im not exactly sure what the abbreviations mean but im guessing that he was enlisted in Uxbridge in the UK.

So now i have a copy of his Military records and it makes for an interesting read seeing where he was posted and all the Special Qualifications and Promotions that he received. I do remember when i was younger and i used to talk to him about the airplanes he flew and about his time in the RAF. It is nice to see it on paper and think back.

So now to the next step.
I need to get a few outstanding Birth and Marriage Certificates and then i will submit my application.

Thank You all for your help so far.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 7:38 pm

So far so good. Let us know how you get on.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Hi Everyone

I am busy with the forms and filling everything out at the moment.
One quick Question and one i am not 100% sure of.

In the application on page one it asks.

"Was the applicant a British national at birth?"

Yes or No ?

Regards
Old Jul 20th 2015, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Hi Everyone

Another question i am not 100% sure of at this stage.

In the application on the page regarding my mothers information it asks.

" Mother or Parent 1's nationality at the time of your birth?"

Regards
Old Jul 27th 2015, 8:49 pm

Hi Everyone

I am busy with the forms and filling everything out at the moment.
One quick Question and one i am not 100% sure of.

In the application on page one it asks.

"Was the applicant a British national at birth?"

Yes or No ?

Regards
Yes. No means that you were either naturalised or registered as a British national.

Hi Everyone

Another question i am not 100% sure of at this stage.

In the application on the page regarding my mothers information it asks.

" Mother or Parent 1's nationality at the time of your birth?"

Regards
British.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 12:55 am

Any success with this?
Old Apr 5th 2016, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Any success with this?
Hi BritInParis

It has been a while sine i was last on the forum.
I sent off all my documents and supporting documents and paid the Fees.

Then two weeks later i received a parcel from DHL with my supporting documents back and a further parcel with a shiny British Passport.

So all went well and they didnt ask me for any additional information.

Funny enough it was issued on my birthday last year, perhaps they took one look and decided to give me a nice birthday gift....

Thank you for all the help with this.

I now am also going to try and find out if my siblings will also be able to apply but the rules and law do not seem straight forward.

I have two brothers born before the 1st January 1983 in South Africa.

Also what would happen one day if and when i have children? Can i register them as British or will they be able to apply for a British Passport?

Regards
Old Apr 5th 2016, 10:22 pm

Hi BritInParis

It has been a while sine i was last on the forum.
I sent off all my documents and supporting documents and paid the Fees.

Then two weeks later i received a parcel from DHL with my supporting documents back and a further parcel with a shiny British Passport.

So all went well and they didnt ask me for any additional information.

Funny enough it was issued on my birthday last year, perhaps they took one look and decided to give me a nice birthday gift....

Thank you for all the help with this.
You're welcome, glad you were successful. At least with the expiry date being on your birthday you'll remember when to renew your passport!

I now am also going to try and find out if my siblings will also be able to apply but the rules and law do not seem straight forward.

I have two brothers born before the 1st January 1983 in South Africa.
As mentioned previously they would also have a claim but they would need to register first. They should therefore apply to retain their South African citizenship before doing anything else. Once they have done so then they need to send off Form UKM to Liverpool with their supporting documents. They'll need to include your mother and grandfather's documents that you provided for your passport application.

Also what would happen one day if and when i have children? Can i register them as British or will they be able to apply for a British Passport?

Regards
Presuming that the other parent is not British and you're not in Crown service at the time of their birth then your children would need to be born in the UK for them to automatically receive British citizenship.

If they are born abroad then you would need to sponsor them for a settlement visa (Indefinite Leave to Enter/Remain) for them to join you in the UK whilst they are under 18. If they spend at least three years in the UK before turning 18 then you can register them as British citizens and they will receive British citizenship otherwise than by descent.

If they turn 18 before the three years is up but after they receive their ILE/ILR then they can apply to naturalise as British citizens. Again they should apply to retain their South African citizenship before they do so.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

poptarvish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have just discovered your discussion with Mat Walsh about getting the British passport through double decent, and was wondering whether you understand my situation as well:
My grandfather was in Crown Service in India when my mother was born in India in 1931 - both her parents were British, my grandfather was born in England. Now we are wondering whether my mother is a CUKC, but then became simply a 'British Citizen' after the BNA of 1981. And as a British Citizen (she has a British passport & right of abode), how do we know if she is 'by decent' or 'otherwise than by decent'? This is important, as my mother went on to marry my German father - I was born in Germany in 1971. If she turns out to be a British Citizen 'otherwise than by decent' there shouldn't be a problem, but I can't seem to find the answer to this! Can you help?? Many thanks Pop
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by poptarvish
Hi,

I have just discovered your discussion with Mat Walsh about getting the British passport through double decent, and was wondering whether you understand my situation as well:
My grandfather was in Crown Service in India when my mother was born in India in 1931 - both her parents were British, my grandfather was born in England. Now we are wondering whether my mother is a CUKC, but then became simply a 'British Citizen' after the BNA of 1981. And as a British Citizen (she has a British passport & right of abode), how do we know if she is 'by decent' or 'otherwise than by decent'? This is important, as my mother went on to marry my German father - I was born in Germany in 1971. If she turns out to be a British Citizen 'otherwise than by decent' there shouldn't be a problem, but I can't seem to find the answer to this! Can you help?? Many thanks Pop
In what capacity was your grandfather in Crown service and was he recruited in the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.