British Citizenship Eligibility

Old May 4th 2020, 9:51 am
Just Joined

leahcim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Citizenship Eligibility

Hello, I was born in the UK in 1988. My mother has never been married but my father had ILR and he was married to another woman at the time of my birth. Can I claim for British Citizenship?
Old May 4th 2020, 9:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizenship Eligibility

What is the nationality of your mother, and on what basis was she in the UK when you were born?
Old May 4th 2020, 10:23 am
Just Joined

She is South African and she
was there as a Student at the time of my birth.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 4th 2020 at 5:42 pm. Reason: Fixed it for you! For future ref, you can use the edit button if you think of something you want to add just after posting.
Old May 4th 2020, 6:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

This might help - https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizenship

Doesn't look as though you've got a claim from what you've said as your parents weren't married, but the above should tell you for sure and I'm sure the forum pros will be along to help you figure it out when they have time.

HTH.
Old May 4th 2020, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

I strongly disagree with you. I'm waiting for the forum pros to help me figure it out. I Look forward to hearing from BritInParis too. Thank you.
Old May 4th 2020, 7:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leahcim
I strongly disagree with you. I'm waiting for the forum pros to help me figure it out. I Look forward to hearing from BritInParis too. Thank you.
What nationality was your father (at the time of his relationship with your mother)?
Old May 4th 2020, 7:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leahcim
You're so welcome. I'm only going on what the link above says which says you're not a citizen unless your parents were married, I'd assume it's correct as it's a government webpage, but no idea if it is or not.

BiP will take a look and respond it he has time I'm sure.
Old May 4th 2020, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

U.S Citizen and he had ILR at the time of my birth.
Old May 4th 2020, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

jmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond repute

If your parents were not British, Irish, EU or EEA citizens when you were born

You’re only automatically a British citizen if when you were born at least one of your parents lived in the UK and had one of the following immigration statuses:
  • indefinite leave to remain (ILR)
  • right of abode
  • right of re-admission
If the parent that meets these conditions is your father, he must have been married to your mother when you were born.
That is the official Home Office guidance for children born in the UK when you were born but there are always nuances in British nationality law.

I would recommend that you contact Philip Gamble, which is now through Sable International. They provide a free assessment.

You said your mother was South African. Does she have any ties to the UK, such as through her parents that might have given her right of abode or which could have made her a British citizen?

Old May 4th 2020, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Mother has no ties to the UK. Thank you Jmin
Old May 5th 2020, 1:55 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You say your mother was a student with no ties to the UK - did she hold a student visa at the time of your birth?
Old May 5th 2020, 2:02 am
Just Joined

Hi Bip, yes she did.
Old May 5th 2020, 2:17 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

And you returned to South Africa with her as a baby and have been living there ever since? I take it your father never naturalised as a British citizen?
Old May 5th 2020, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Yes I returned to South Africa as a baby and been living in South Africa since. My father never naturalised but he had ILR and named on my birth certificate at the time of my birth.
Old May 5th 2020, 2:41 am

In that case you should be eligible to register as a British citizen under Section 4G of the British Nationality Act 1981 using Form UKF.

You’ll need to be able to demonstrate that your father held ILR at the time of your birth.

There’s no fee for this type of application but you’ll need to pay £80 towards the cost of your citizenship ceremony and £19.20 to submit your biometrics.

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/nationality-ukf

If you wish to remain a South African citizen then it’s vital you apply for permission to retain your SA citizenship before you attend your British citizenship ceremony.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.