British citizenship by double descent - Do I qualify?

Old Apr 9th 2019, 9:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizenship by double descent - Do I qualify?

Originally Posted by RosalindJane
Yes, thanks for your advice on that. I applied to retain SA citizenship (and received permission) prior to applying. So I'll have dual nationality.
Good stuff
Old Apr 9th 2019, 11:09 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Love these Brit in Paris success stories, what a champion!
Old Apr 11th 2019, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

CarlyS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there
I was born in South Africa in 1978. My mother was born in South Africa in 1949 to a British father - she has dual citizenship (SA and UK). My maternal grandfather was born in the UK in 1892.
I would like to inquire as to whether I have a right to claim British Citizenship through double descent being that my maternal grandfather was born in the UK. I am aware of a recent UK Supreme court judgement that may count in my favour.
If I do qualify, is it necessary to work through an agency for the application, or could I do it myself? If I do it myself, which form do I need to complete.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 1:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlyS
Hi there
I was born in South Africa in 1978. My mother was born in South Africa in 1949 to a British father - she has dual citizenship (SA and UK). My maternal grandfather was born in the UK in 1892.
I would like to inquire as to whether I have a right to claim British Citizenship through double descent being that my maternal grandfather was born in the UK. I am aware of a recent UK Supreme court judgement that may count in my favour.
If I do qualify, is it necessary to work through an agency for the application, or could I do it myself? If I do it myself, which form do I need to complete.
On the face of it you qualify to register as a British citizen using Form UKM following the Romein case. No need to use an agent - it’s a relatively straightforward application. Just ensure you apply to retain your South Africa citizenship before starting the process else you will lose it automatically upon acquiring British citizenship.
Old Apr 12th 2019, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Iraane is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I am having a little trouble working out whether I qualify for a British Passport via double descent.

I was born in New Zealand in 1998. My parents were also both born in NZ. Both of my parents had lived in the UK for 3 years at the time of my birth.

My father had a UK passport at the time of my birth (1969) through his father. My paternal grandfather was born in Liverpool and had a UK passport, he also served for the Royal Navy and travelled to NZ in 1964 I believe.

Do I qualify for UK passport by double descent?

Thanks!
Old Apr 12th 2019, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Iraane
Hi all, I am having a little trouble working out whether I qualify for a British Passport via double descent.

I was born in New Zealand in 1998. My parents were also both born in NZ. Both of my parents had lived in the UK for 3 years at the time of my birth.

My father had a UK passport at the time of my birth (1969) through his father. My paternal grandfather was born in Liverpool and had a UK passport, he also served for the Royal Navy and travelled to NZ in 1964 I believe.

Do I qualify for UK passport by double descent?

Thanks!
Was your grandfather in the Royal Navy in 1969? If not then you missed the boat (pun not intended) by not being registered as a British citizen before you turned 18. If you wish to live and work in the UK then a UK Ancestry visa would be the way to go.
Old Apr 12th 2019, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Iraane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Was your grandfather in the Royal Navy in 1969? If not then you missed the boat (pun not intended) by not being registered as a British citizen before you turned 18. If you wish to live and work in the UK then a UK Ancestry visa would be the way to go.
Unfortunately, I don’t believe he was. If only I had applied a few years ago!

Thank you for your help ☺️
Old May 8th 2019, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Geengee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Was your maternal grandfather was born in the UK? Was your maternal grandfather was married to your maternal grandmother at the time of your mother's birth? Were your parents were married at the time of your birth? If the answer is yes to all those questions then you can now apply to be registered as a British citizen following a recent Supreme Court decision; The Advocate General for Scotland v Romein.

The OP in this thread has very similar circumstances to yourself (make sure you read the whole thing).

Remember also to apply for and receive permission from the Department of Home Affairs to retain your South African citizenship before making your application. Failure to do so before you become a British citizen will result in the loss of your South African citizenship.

Hi,

Why is it necessary for the applicant parents to be married at the time of her birth?

Thanks,
Old May 8th 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Geengee
Hi,

Why is it necessary for the applicant parents to be married at the time of her birth?

Thanks,
Because British citizenship only passed down the legitimate paternal line before 1983.
Old May 8th 2019, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Geengee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi BIP,
Thank you for your answer,
But, as far as I understand, this is a UKM application and the British Citizen who is passing down citizenship is the mother and mothers do not need to be married
in order to pass down their British Citizenship?
Old May 8th 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Geengee
Hi BIP,
Thank you for your answer,
But, as far as I understand, this is a UKM application and the British Citizen who is passing down citizenship is the mother and mothers do not need to be married
in order to pass down their British Citizenship?
The UKM application is required because women couldn’t pass on their citizenship to their children pre-1983. The law was changed to permit retrospective registration providing mothers had the same rights as fathers at the time of the birth in question.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

tleisegang is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am a South African citizen , born 1973, my mom was born in S Rhodesia to UK born parents, and has always had a british passport. I am wanting to apply for a British passport through double descent. I understand that I have to apply for British citzen ship first and have been quoted a large amount of money by a immigration agent. How do-able is it for one to apply without an agent and would I fill the the UKM form online?
Old Jun 19th 2019, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by tleisegang
Hi I am a South African citizen , born 1973, my mom was born in S Rhodesia to UK born parents, and has always had a british passport. I am wanting to apply for a British passport through double descent. I understand that I have to apply for British citzen ship first and have been quoted a large amount of money by a immigration agent. How do-able is it for one to apply without an agent and would I fill the the UKM form online?
It’s eminently doable yourself; the fee is only £80 so no need to pay money for old rope. I believe there’s an online and offline version of the form. Just make sure you apply for and receive permission to retain your South African citizenship before you start the process or you will lose it when you become British.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

tleisegang is an unknown quantity at this point

GOOD DAY
I would appreciate an opinion on the following ; my mom has made further enquiries with the home office regarding a application for myself to apply for British nationality and the person there that she spoke to said that I cannot claim through my grandfather as descent can only be passed down once and that was from my grandfather to my mother. To re-cap my mother was born in 1949 in Southern Rhodesia and has always held British nationality. Both her parents were UK born. I was born in south africa in 1973. It appears its not entirely straighfoward. Please can you clarify this double descent, for me , and wether you think I may qualify. many thanks
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by tleisegang
GOOD DAY
I would appreciate an opinion on the following ; my mom has made further enquiries with the home office regarding a application for myself to apply for British nationality and the person there that she spoke to said that I cannot claim through my grandfather as descent can only be passed down once and that was from my grandfather to my mother. To re-cap my mother was born in 1949 in Southern Rhodesia and has always held British nationality. Both her parents were UK born. I was born in south africa in 1973. It appears its not entirely straighfoward. Please can you clarify this double descent, for me , and wether you think I may qualify. many thanks
The Supreme Court ruling in the Romein case means that you can now be registered as a British citizen using Form UKM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.