British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   British citizenship by double descent - Do I qualify? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/british-citizenship-double-descent-do-i-qualify-913666/)

Roach Feb 19th 2019 5:32 am

Re: British citizenship by double descent - Do I qualify?

Originally Posted by SapphiraeLupa (Post 12632894)
I just went to my local SAPS station and got them certified by the desk sergeant.
You do the biometrics here, at the same places where you do them for UK visas. There was some kind of issue with the booking system, so eventually I just went there without an appointment and they did it for me.

Don't forget to inform home affairs before you do your citizenship ceremony, otherwise you will lose your SA citizenship when you gain British, which can be fixed if you still live in SA, but it's a pain.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Been waiting for my unabridged birth cert to arrive from home affairs- over 6 months wait already! I assume the request to home affairs to hold dual citizenship is just a form that you fill in? Will sort that out when my birth cert eventually arrives.

Al019 Mar 3rd 2019 3:14 am

Re: British Passport - Do I qualify?

Sirs,
I'm having a little problem, I'm in the process of applying for a uk passport, the passport office said my dad was born in canada but I know he was born British in Newfoundland in 1938 when it was a U.K. colony, when it joined confederation they are saying he may have lost his citizenship however canada was not full independant till 1983 repatriation of the Canadian constitution, did Newfoundlanders lose their British subject status?.

thank you

BritInParis Mar 3rd 2019 9:36 am

Re: British Passport - Do I qualify?

Originally Posted by Al019 (Post 12646939)
Sirs,
I'm having a little problem, I'm in the process of applying for a uk passport, the passport office said my dad was born in canada but I know he was born British in Newfoundland in 1938 when it was a U.K. colony, when it joined confederation they are saying he may have lost his citizenship however canada was not full independant till 1983 repatriation of the Canadian constitution, did Newfoundlanders lose their British subject status?.

thank you

Any entitlement to a British (CUKC) passport would’ve ceased after 1948 unless he had a connection to the UK. Was his father born in the UK?

Hollyflynn22 Mar 6th 2019 6:45 pm

BritInParis

Hi BritInParis i was wondering if you could help me out with my situation considering British Citizenship.

Backstory: I was born in the United Kingdom on the 18th January 1999 to a a Canadian Mother who came here when she was 9. and an Irish father who was born in Dublin but moved to the UK when he was 1 years old. My mother can claim British Citizenship by descent using the UKM forms, but i have applied for a passport in the past and was told that i am NOT a British Citizen. My Father was classed as 'settled' when i was born which means i would of been a British Citizen at birth but i asked the Home Office this and they said it can't be passed through a father? like uh what? My mother did live here when i was born as she had 'right of abode' on her passport, but she has lost the passport and has no proof. I am told that i am not a British Citizen and this is quite upsetting as i have lived here for the past 20 years and have no clue how to become a British Citizen or what route to take, Am i already one as my father was settled under the Common Travel Area agreement?

I look forward to your reply :)

BritInParis Mar 6th 2019 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Hollyflynn22 (Post 12649123)
BritInParis

Hi BritInParis i was wondering if you could help me out with my situation considering British Citizenship.

Backstory: I was born in the United Kingdom on the 18th January 1999 to a a Canadian Mother who came here when she was 9. and an Irish father who was born in Dublin but moved to the UK when he was 1 years old. My mother can claim British Citizenship by descent using the UKM forms, but i have applied for a passport in the past and was told that i am NOT a British Citizen. My Father was classed as 'settled' when i was born which means i would of been a British Citizen at birth but i asked the Home Office this and they said it can't be passed through a father? like uh what? My mother did live here when i was born as she had 'right of abode' on her passport, but she has lost the passport and has no proof. I am told that i am not a British Citizen and this is quite upsetting as i have lived here for the past 20 years and have no clue how to become a British Citizen or what route to take, Am i already one as my father was settled under the Common Travel Area agreement?

I look forward to your reply :)

Were your parents not married? I presume your maternal grandmother (your mother’s mother) was born in the UK? Have you held any kind of passport until now?

Hollyflynn22 Mar 6th 2019 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12649159)
Were your parents not married? I presume your maternal grandmother (your mother’s mother) was born in the UK? Have you held any kind of passport until now?

No my parents were not married at, they split when i was 4. And yes my grandmother was born in the UK and had my mother in Vancouver, Canada and i am currently in the process of applying for my irish passport by descent from my father.

BritInParis Mar 6th 2019 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Hollyflynn22 (Post 12649160)
No my parents were not married at, they split when i was 4. And yes my grandmother was born in the UK and had my mother in Vancouver, Canada and i am currently in the process of applying for my irish passport by descent from my father.

When you applied for your British passport in the past did you supply your mother’s and grandmother’s birth certificates?

Hollyflynn22 Mar 6th 2019 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12649161)
When you applied for your British passport in the past did you supply your mother’s and grandmother’s birth certificates?

No my mother did not supply my grandmothers birth certificate, am i eligible for double descent?

BritInParis Mar 6th 2019 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Hollyflynn22 (Post 12649166)
No my mother did not supply my grandmothers birth certificate, am i eligible for double descent?

You were born in the UK so you’re either British by birth or not at all. If you reapply with your birth certificate as well as your mother’s and your grandmother’s birth certificates then your application should be successful.

Hollyflynn22 Mar 6th 2019 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12649187)
You were born in the UK so you’re either British by birth or not at all. If you reapply with your birth certificate as well as your mother’s and your grandmother’s birth certificates then your application should be successful.

But how does that work? they said that one of my parents must of been 'settled' when i was born, but my parent (mother) is a citizen by descent but she has not done the citizenship ceremony yet, so its all confusing. and how come i should include my grandmothers birth certificate? will that make me a British citizen if i was born in the UK and my grandmother was too?

BritInParis Mar 6th 2019 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Hollyflynn22 (Post 12649189)
But how does that work? they said that one of my parents must of been 'settled' when i was born, but my parent (mother) is a citizen by descent but she has not done the citizenship ceremony yet, so its all confusing. and how come i should include my grandmothers birth certificate? will that make me a British citizen if i was born in the UK and my grandmother was too?

Your grandmother’s birth certificate will show that your mother had Right of Abode when you were born. She had Right of Abode (but not British citizenship) because she was a Commonwealth (Canadian) citizen with a British mother.

Hollyflynn22 Mar 6th 2019 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12649196)
Your grandmother’s birth certificate will show that your mother had Right of Abode when you were born. She had Right of Abode (but not British citizenship) because she was a Commonwealth (Canadian) citizen with a British mother.

Wow you are a blessing! thank you so much for all your help, so as my mother has right of abode because of a British mother, that means i am a British Citizen at birth :)

BritInParis Mar 6th 2019 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Hollyflynn22 (Post 12649205)
Wow you are a blessing! thank you so much for all your help, so as my mother has right of abode because of a British mother, that means i am a British Citizen at birth :)

Correctamundo. You just need to provide the correct paperwork to prove it.

Hollyflynn22 Mar 6th 2019 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12649210)
Correctamundo. You just need to provide the correct paperwork to prove it.

So i would need my birth certiifcate, my mothers and my grandmothers? and that should be fine?

BritInParis Mar 6th 2019 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Hollyflynn22 (Post 12649211)
So i would need my birth certiifcate, my mothers and my grandmothers? and that should be fine?

Yep.