British citizenship by double descent - Do I qualify?

Old Jun 22nd 2019, 10:30 am
Just Joined

tleisegang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British citizenship by double descent - Do I qualify?

THANK YOU , I am also about to apply in south africa for retention of my South african citzenship first. Do I need to get confirmation from the relevant authorites .ie UK home office that I have not yet acquired citzenship of that country,( some posts I have read state this) to take with me to SA home affairs?
Please if anyone has done this retention lately , can they shed some light
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 5:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tleisegang
THANK YOU , I am also about to apply in south africa for retention of my South african citzenship first. Do I need to get confirmation from the relevant authorites .ie UK home office that I have not yet acquired citzenship of that country,( some posts I have read state this) to take with me to SA home affairs?
Please if anyone has done this retention lately , can they shed some light
There was another recent poster who confirmed that wasn’t necessary.
Old Jul 11th 2019, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

rmsl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi BIP,
Thanks for all the advice you've offered on this thread.
Do you know, is it necessary to supply grandparents marriage certificate when applying along the lines of the Romein case (i.e. maternal grandfather born in UK, mother born in SA, me born in SA before 1983)?
Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2019, 11:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rmsl
Hi BIP,
Thanks for all the advice you've offered on this thread.
Do you know, is it necessary to supply grandparents marriage certificate when applying along the lines of the Romein case (i.e. maternal grandfather born in UK, mother born in SA, me born in SA before 1983)?
Thanks
I would say yes.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 11:10 am
Just Joined

MarkLoftus is an unknown quantity at this point

GOOD DAY
I would appreciate an opinion on the following:

My maternal grandfather was born in Egypt during WW1 to British parents who were both part of the Royal Medical Corps. He was subsequently registered at the British Consul General at Alexandria. He moved with his parents to SA at some point, subsequently he married and my mother was born in South Africa in 1948

Do myself and my sister qualify? We were both born in SA in the 70's

Kind regards

Last edited by MarkLoftus; Jul 24th 2019 at 11:19 am.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by MarkLoftus
GOOD DAY
I would appreciate an opinion on the following:

My maternal grandfather was born in Egypt during WW1 to British parents who were both part of the Royal Medical Corps. He was subsequently registered at the British Consul General at Alexandria. He moved with his parents to SA at some point, subsequently he married and my mother was born in South Africa in 1948

Do myself and my sister qualify? We were both born in SA in the 70's

Kind regards
Has your mother ever held a British passport?
Old Jul 24th 2019, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Has your mother ever held a British passport?
Hi, unfortunately not...
Old Jul 24th 2019, 3:24 pm

Hi, unfortunately not...
And her birth wasn’t registered at the British high commission?
Old Jul 24th 2019, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

And her birth wasn’t registered at the British high commission?
No. Only her father
Old Jul 24th 2019, 6:09 pm

No. Only her father
Can you give me your mother’s precise date of birth?
Old Jul 24th 2019, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

29 November 1948
Old Jul 29th 2019, 1:34 pm

And your maternal grandmother was South African? Any British ancestry?
Old Jul 29th 2019, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

And your maternal grandmother was South African? Any British ancestry?
Hi BiP,

she was also South African (about 3rd generation from the original UK immigrant)

Essentially, there is only my maternal grandfather, who was born in wartime Egypt to UK citizens (who were serving in the Medical Corps). He then moved back to UK for a few years, before his father (my great-grandfather) then moved to SA as a professor at University of Cape Town
Old Aug 6th 2019, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Gildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond repute

Morning,

I am currently investigating the process and documents required to submit an application to register for British Citizenship via “double descent”, using the UKM form.
It seems that before one even fills in this form, one has several tasks to complete:

1. Make an appointment with the British Consulate:

Is this to obtain a Letter / Certificate on Non-Acquisition from the UK Home Office (confirming that you have not yet acquired British nationality) or is it a letter confirming that the British government has no objection to dual nationality?

2. South African Home Affairs:

Take this letter to the Home Affairs and submit an application to retain ones South African Citizenship.

Only on receipt of this approval letter from Home Affairs, can one fill in the UKM form and submit with the various supporting documents to the British Consulate.

Out of interest, have any South Africans submitted this UKM application themselves, as opposed to going through the various agencies?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old Aug 6th 2019, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Gildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond reputeGildies has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - I was doing some further research and found the application form NQ on the GOV.UK website.

Does anyone know if this needs to be completed for the application to the South African Home Affairs - when applying to retain ones South African Citizenship - and if it is required, is it a separate online application?

(not done through the appointment made at the British Consulate)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.