British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   British citizenship by descent- grandfather crown service (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/british-citizenship-descent-grandfather-crown-service-936891/)

shez83 Feb 1st 2021 12:18 pm

British citizenship by descent- grandfather crown service

Hi, need advise please

I was born in South Africa in March 1983
My mother was born in South Africa in 1944, she holds a British passport (duel citizenship)
Her father, my grandfather was born in UK, and was in crown service at the time of her birth in SA.

I believe I could try and get British citizenship, just not sure how.

I think the place to start is getting the past service docs from the UK gov for my grandfather. it says on the docs that an admin fee has to be paid by cheque, not sure how to do this when i live in SA?

Or does anyone one know of a good immigration service that I can use? Sable here in SA, wants to do a status trace and that alone is too costly.

BritInParis Feb 1st 2021 3:42 pm

Re: British citizenship by descent- grandfather crown service

What was your grandfather’s occupation at the time of your mother’s birth?

shez83 Feb 2nd 2021 6:36 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12966879)
What was your grandfather’s occupation at the time of your mother’s birth?

he was in the RAF, but not sure what position, had his posting in South Africa, but initially recruited in UK.

BritInParis Feb 2nd 2021 7:54 am

Originally Posted by shez83 (Post 12967102)
he was in the RAF, but not sure what position, had his posting in South Africa, but initially recruited in UK.

Does your mother’s birth certificate list as his occupation? Was he an officer or enlisted?

shez83 Feb 2nd 2021 10:02 am

Yes, oh her vault birth certificate it says soldier in RAF

BritInParis Feb 2nd 2021 10:35 am

Originally Posted by shez83 (Post 12967142)
Yes, oh her vault birth certificate it says soldier in RAF

Does it give a rank? If he was an officer then you potentially won’t need his service record.

shez83 Feb 10th 2021 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12967147)
Does it give a rank? If he was an officer then you potentially won’t need his service record.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. My mom was able to find his original service record.

The writing is a little hard to read, but what I can make out is that he was enlisted in 1938 (at 19 years of age), got sent to South Africa in 1941, married my Gran in 1943 in SA, had my mom in 1944 in SA, and then was discharged from the RAF in 1946.

I was also hoping you would know which would be the best route to citizenship:
1) If possible, applying using the descent route, as noted above?
2) Apply for an Ancestry and live in uk for 6+ years?

Which one of these would be easier to then have my husband and child get a spouse and dependant visa?

Thanks for your help

shez83 Feb 11th 2021 11:05 am

Originally Posted by shez83 (Post 12970334)
Hi, sorry for the late reply. My mom was able to find his original service record.

The writing is a little hard to read, but what I can make out is that he was enlisted in 1938 (at 19 years of age), got sent to South Africa in 1941, married my Gran in 1943 in SA, had my mom in 1944 in SA, and then was discharged from the RAF in 1946.

I was also hoping you would know which would be the best route to citizenship:
1) If possible, applying using the descent route, as noted above?
2) Apply for an Ancestry and live in uk for 6+ years?

Which one of these would be easier to then have my husband and child get a spouse and dependant visa?

Thanks for your help

Hi sorry, just wanted to add:

My grandfather was enlisted in Cardington?

Also it looks as if his duties was an electrician, I think he worked on the planes. Does his duties matter, or only that he was in the Crown Service and joined in England.

BritInParis Feb 14th 2021 11:27 pm

That would make sense. Cardington was a large RAF base at the time, now most famous for its association with the British airship programme of the 1920s. You should be able to apply for a British passport. You'll need the following:

- Your full SA birth certificate and marriage certificate.
- Your mother's full SA birth certificate and marriage certificate.
- Your grandfather's full British birth certificate and marriage certificate.
- Your grandfather's RAF service record showing his place of recruitment as the UK (i.e. RAF Cardington).

Once you receive your British passport then you can sponsor your husband for a spouse visa and child for a child visa to move to the UK.