British citizenship for child out of wedlock

Old May 2nd 2020, 5:13 am
Just Joined

alishinto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizenship for child out of wedlock

Hi, I'm a British citizen by descent (born outside UK, father was British citizen otherwise than by descent). My daughter was born in UK in 2002, her mother is Japanese and we never married so my child took Japanese citizenship. Does she automatically get British citizenship or do I have to register her as a British citizen?
Also, on the Guide UKF form, it says for her to register she has to show documentary evidence that I was a British citizen at the time she was born. However, I no longer have my passport from that time. Does anyone how I can solve that problem? Thanks in advance!
Old May 2nd 2020, 12:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizenship for child out of wedlock

What was the mother’s immigration status at the time of your daughter’s birth? Has your daughter turned 18 yet?
Old May 2nd 2020, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Her mother was on a student visa in UK at the time, and yes my daughter has turned 18
Old May 2nd 2020, 9:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

In that case she’ll need to register using Form UKF. As you were born outside the UK you’ll need to provide both your birth certificate and your father’s birth certificate. If you don’t have your father’s birth certificate and he was born in England or Wales then you can order a new certified copy online from the General Register Office for £11.
Old May 3rd 2020, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the information, it's much appreciated. So if I give them my and my father's birth certificates, then I won't need to provide my passport from 2002?
Old May 3rd 2020, 1:28 pm

That’s correct.
Old May 3rd 2020, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again. Just wanted to clarify one further point if you have any knowledge of this. I think the guide for UKF says I need my child's, and my 'full' birth certificate. Is this in any way different to the one you normally get when you register a child's birth, which I think is called an extract of a birth certificate? Would this be acceptable to submit for an application?
Old May 3rd 2020, 11:32 pm

All three birth certificates will need to be ‘full’ or ‘long’ birth certificates, that is, they need to list the parents’ details. If not you can order the long version from the GRO.
Old May 4th 2020, 1:39 am
Just Joined

Thank you!
Old May 7th 2020, 2:41 am
Just Joined

By the way, would you happen to know if the procedure is the same for a child born outside the UK? This one hasn't reached 18 yet...
Old May 7th 2020, 9:54 am

It would be a different procedure. Does this child have a different mother? If so were you married at the time of the child’s birth? What year were they born? Had you spent three consecutive years in the UK before their birth?
Old May 7th 2020, 10:15 am
Just Joined

It's the same mother, and we were not married at the time of her birth. She was born in June 2004, and I lived in UK for well over 3 consecutive years before she was born.
Old May 8th 2020, 12:42 am

In that case you’ll need to register her using Form MN1.
Old May 9th 2020, 2:42 am
Just Joined

Hi BritinParis, thanks once again for your clear and concise information. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to matters of bureaucracy like this. Would I be correct in thinking that if she does not urgently need to get citizenship, then it would be better to wait until she turned 18 so she can just do it with UKF, like my older daughter? Or does the fact that she was born outside UK mean that is not possible?
Old May 9th 2020, 3:08 am

If you wait until she turns 18 then you’ll lose the right to register her as she was born outside the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.