british citizenship

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 8:39 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default british citizenship

Hi,

I'm off to Australia with my Australian Hubby, He has PR for the UK and we were goin to apply for his citizenship this month but we are now leaving in October so prob wont have time to do it.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get citizenship?

If we dont have time what happens when we want to come back to the UK, our plan is to come back every so often for quite a long stay and we would like to be able to work when we do come back.

We will be gone for a t least 3 years before we come back with the intention of working so his PR will have gone over the time period, what would we have to do?

Cheer
Kala
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 9:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: british citizenship

If someone is married to a British citizen, then there is no requirement to intend to continue to live in the UK after naturalisation.

And the residence requirements are assessed on the date of application, not later.

So it's quite ok to apply when UK resident and move overseas. Just make sure the Home Office knows your address. When you application is approved they will send the certificate to the nearest British consulate in Australia and you'll collect it there (taking the citizenship oath at the same time).

Make sure when applying that your husband was *physically* in the UK on the *exact* day three years previous to when the Home Office receive the application. This confuses so many people.

And that the residence requirements are met since then.

Timescales, information are at:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

He'll now have to prove evidence of competency in English. Unfortunately the Home Office rushed the development of the new language regulation and it's not clear how they'll work things for those from English speaking countries. If the process ends up as a mess, you can always complain to your MP.

If you don't apply for naturalisation while UK resident and spend 3 years away, as you say PR will be at risk, and even if he keeps PR he'll most likely have to re-do the 3 years for citizenship.

Jeremy

Originally posted by kala
Hi,

I'm off to Australia with my Australian Hubby, He has PR for the UK and we were goin to apply for his citizenship this month but we are now leaving in October so prob wont have time to do it.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get citizenship?

If we dont have time what happens when we want to come back to the UK, our plan is to come back every so often for quite a long stay and we would like to be able to work when we do come back.

We will be gone for a t least 3 years before we come back with the intention of working so his PR will have gone over the time period, what would we have to do?

Cheer
Kala
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 9:58 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by JAJ
If someone is married to a British citizen, then there is no requirement to intend to continue to live in the UK after naturalisation.

And the residence requirements are assessed on the date of application, not later.

So it's quite ok to apply when UK resident and move overseas. Just make sure the Home Office knows your address. When you application is approved they will send the certificate to the nearest British consulate in Australia and you'll collect it there (taking the citizenship oath at the same time).

Make sure when applying that your husband was *physically* in the UK on the *exact* day three years previous to when the Home Office receive the application. This confuses so many people.

And that the residence requirements are met since then.

Timescales, information are at:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

He'll now have to prove evidence of competency in English. Unfortunately the Home Office rushed the development of the new language regulation and it's not clear how they'll work things for those from English speaking countries. If the process ends up as a mess, you can always complain to your MP.

If you don't apply for naturalisation while UK resident and spend 3 years away, as you say PR will be at risk, and even if he keeps PR he'll most likely have to re-do the 3 years for citizenship.

Jeremy
Cheers Jeremy, That's fantastic, He came to the UK June 2001 then went to Europe until Mid Aug 2001 he has lived here since except for the odd holiday and a trip to Australia, So we are nearly at the 3 year mark I am assuming he has to have done 3 years in total ie the holiday time is deducted form the total 3 years?
We are leaving for Australia at the end of october so we should be able to apply in Sept al of which in 2001 was spent in the UK

That has removed a huge weight off my shoulders

Thanks
again
Kala
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 10:14 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Cheers Jeremy, That's fantastic, He came to the UK June 2001 then went to Europe until Mid Aug 2001 he has lived here since except for the odd holiday and a trip to Australia, So we are nearly at the 3 year mark I am assuming he has to have done 3 years in total ie the holiday time is deducted form the total 3 years?
We are leaving for Australia at the end of october so we should be able to apply in Sept al of which in 2001 was spent in the UK

Thanks
again
Kala
Sory Jeremy, Ignore my assumptions, I have just read the booklet and he was allowed to be out of the country for up to 270 day in the last 3. So we can apply 3 years to the day he got back form his trip round europe.

Kala
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 10:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you read and re-read the guidelines on the Home Office website.

Download the Guide to Naturalisation which explains things quite comprehensively.

Jeremy

Thanks
again
Kala
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 10:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

Always leave a few days spare to be on the safe side.

Jeremy

Sory Jeremy, Ignore my assumptions, I have just read the booklet and he was allowed to be out of the country for up to 270 day in the last 3. So we can apply 3 years to the day he got back form his trip round europe.

Kala
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:01 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally posted by JAJ
Always leave a few days spare to be on the safe side.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy,

I'l let you know how it goes.

Thanks
Kala