Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British Citizen through naturalization passing citizenship to kids born outside UK

British Citizen through naturalization passing citizenship to kids born outside UK

Old Jan 23rd 2017, 10:57 am
Just Joined

lostinkhalifa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Citizen through naturalization passing citizenship to kids born outside UK

I hope someone can help me on this as I have read different views, basically I am British through naturalization and so are my parents (we were not born in the UK). I moved to Abu Dhabi a few years ago and married my husband here who is a Syrian national, I am now pregnant and unsure whether to have my baby here or go back to the UK. I work full time and my visa is under my employer not on husband visa if that makes any difference.

I don't want to be in a situation where my baby is refused British passport

I really appreciate your advice.

Thank you so much.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 12:01 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizen through naturalization passing citizenship to kids born outside U

How old were you when you became a British citizen? Do you have your citizenship certificate with you? If so what section is mentioned? Section 3(1) for example.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: British Citizen through naturalization passing citizenship to kids born outside U

Originally Posted by BritInParis
How old were you when you became a British citizen? Do you have your citizenship certificate with you? If so what section is mentioned? Section 3(1) for example.
Hi I was 25 years old when I became British. I don't have my certificate it's at my parents house in the UK
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 5:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Ask your parents to check - if your certificate says 'Certificate of naturalisation as a British citizen' and 'Section 6(1)' then you are British otherwise than by descent and your children will be British citizens regardless of where they are born.

Two points to bear in mind however: firstly, if your children are born outside the UK then they will only be British by descent and therefore unable to automatically pass on their British citizenship to their children if they are also born outside the UK; secondly, it can take extra time and bureaucracy to obtain British passports if your children are born in what is considered to be a high risk country for fraud. The UAE is not one of these countries but you should check if you are considering giving birth in a third country.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much.. BritinParis you are a true gem
i will call my parents and ask them..
Old Jan 27th 2017, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by lostinkhalifa
Thank you so much.. BritinParis you are a true gem
i will call my parents and ask them..
You are very welcome
Old Jan 29th 2017, 4:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You are very welcome
Just wanted to let you know that I asked my parents and it is section 6 (1), so I am British other than by descent.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by lostinkhalifa
Just wanted to let you know that I asked my parents and it is section 6 (1), so I am British other than by descent.
Okay, so you're good to go as per Post #4. I will also add that consular birth registration is a very good idea if you are British by naturalisation and your child is born overseas otherwise they may have difficulty proving their claim to British citizenship in the future.

British Consular Birth Registration : British Expat Wiki
Old Jan 30th 2017, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Kaj2205 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am Brits through naturalization and has been for 25 years, my oldest son was born in London, my second was born 2011 in USA and last born July 2016 in USA they all have their british birth certificate and passports, make sure you have your naturalization certificate when you apply for the baby birth certificate, with my last daughter i got her BC in two weeks. Good luck and safe delivery.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 4:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kaj2205
I am Brits through naturalization and has been for 25 years, my oldest son was born in London, my second was born 2011 in USA and last born July 2016 in USA they all have their british birth certificate and passports, make sure you have your naturalization certificate when you apply for the baby birth certificate, with my last daughter i got her BC in two weeks. Good luck and safe delivery.
Thank you so much for pointing that out to me as I don't have my naturalization certificate with me here, I will ask my mum to bring it with her when she comes over before the birth.

Thank you so much once again/