british citizen moving to the UK from south africa

Old Mar 5th 2013, 10:29 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: british citizen moving to the UK from south africa

Originally Posted by Gabriels_Mom
That is very worrying!!
My story : My mom and dad moved here in 1991 as my dad got a permanent job here in SA - my mom told me the other day they had permanent residency certificates.. so I came into the country on my mom's passport.
My dad left back to Scotland in about '97, mom stayed here with us and has never left the country.. Best part - her crazy ex husband burned her passports and all her papers so she couldn't leave him.. which leaves me with no papers to do my application for my passport.

(
If your mother - and yourself - were born in England or Wales you can easily get copies of your birth certificates. My spouse misplaced his original UK birth certificate a few years ago when we were living in New Jersey (he found it later...) so I went online and ordered a copy of it from the General Register Office. They will send the copies overseas:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Hope this helps

PS. This is the link for the GRO for Scotland, although it's not clear how one applies for copies of birth certificates online:

http://gro-scotland.gov.uk/
Old Mar 5th 2013, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Gabriels_Mom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: british citizen moving to the UK from south africa

Originally Posted by Englishmum
If your mother - and yourself - were born in England or Wales you can easily get copies of your birth certificates. My spouse misplaced his original UK birth certificate a few years ago when we were living in New Jersey (he found it later...) so I went online and ordered a copy of it from the General Register Office. They will send the copies overseas:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Hope this helps

PS. This is the link for the GRO for Scotland, although it's not clear how one applies for copies of birth certificates online:

http://gro-scotland.gov.uk/
Hi Englishmum, thanks for that.. my mom luckily still had my original one and my aunty in Scotland went and got another copy for me as well that is actually on its way to me in the post now!!
I couldn't understand the website for Scotland either, because I need to try order my mom's birth certificate online.. apparently I need that in order to apply for my British passport this side of the world
Old Mar 5th 2013, 10:52 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: british citizen moving to the UK from south africa

Hi Englishmum, thanks for that.. my mom luckily still had my original one and my aunty in Scotland went and got another copy for me as well that is actually on its way to me in the post now!!
I couldn't understand the website for Scotland either, because I need to try order my mom's birth certificate online.. apparently I need that in order to apply for my British passport this side of the world

Maybe you could call the Scottish GRO and ask how to get a copy of your mum's BC? Perhaps your Aunty in Scotland could get a copy for you if you can't order it online?

Aha! It seems to be here:

http://gro-scotland.gov.uk/famrec/bdm.html

Good Luck!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Maybe you could call the Scottish GRO and ask how to get a copy of your mum's BC? Perhaps your Aunty in Scotland could get a copy for you if you can't order it online?

Aha! It seems to be here:

http://gro-scotland.gov.uk/famrec/bdm.html

Good Luck!
ah you're a star, thank you! I couldn't find that anywhere.. their website is really awful!!
my Aunty is from my dad's side, so unfortunately mom doesn't speak to them lol.. but if it comes to that I can ask her to do it for my sake, going to see how simple it is to do it online first
Old Mar 5th 2013, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

WEBlue YOU JUST MADE MY YEAR!!!!!! OH MY WORD I AM OVER THE MOON HAPPY RIGHT NOW, HIS COMPANY IS THERE!!!!!!
WHOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO

lol sorry for that!!I am super happy!!!! I was so stressed about that
So happy for you
Old Mar 5th 2013, 12:26 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

WEBlue YOU JUST MADE MY YEAR!!!!!! OH MY WORD I AM OVER THE MOON HAPPY RIGHT NOW, HIS COMPANY IS THERE!!!!!!
WHOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO

lol sorry for that!!I am super happy!!!! I was so stressed about that
Oh Yay! Wonderful to hear!

People are so surprised to see there is a list that they can access - that work visa sponsors are not some top-secret cabal. (One thing UKBA still does decently & transparently.)

Good luck with all the rest of the process, GabrielsMom!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

thanks perthhomeschool!

I've been on that website so many times and I never managed to find that WEBlue.. lol and I was wondering whether there was somewhere we could find out about if they are a sponsoring company!!
well, his meeting with his HR is next week.. so I will give an update as soon as we make some headway..

thank you all for your advice and information
Old Mar 7th 2013, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice

Gabriels_mom, I live in Hermanus. I absolutely love living here. Our house looks onto the sea, we eat breakfast watching dolphins playing in the water and in winter, the whales. To be honest, I could live here for the rest of my life. The problem is that there is no facilities or support structure for my daughter.

There is an immigration seminar in Cape Town tonight. I was planning to go but my 2 youngest kids are sick.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Beautiful Garden Route of South Africa, hoping to return to equally beautiful Kent soon!
MagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really nice

Originally Posted by AngelaV
Gabriels_mom, I live in Hermanus. I absolutely love living here. Our house looks onto the sea, we eat breakfast watching dolphins playing in the water and in winter, the whales. To be honest, I could live here for the rest of my life. The problem is that there is no facilities or support structure for my daughter.

There is an immigration seminar in Cape Town tonight. I was planning to go but my 2 youngest kids are sick.
Hi Angela, I live in George
I absolutely adore Hermanus! Have had many happy holidays in Kleinmond. It's is really heartbreaking saying goodbye to our beautiful country
The previous time I moved to the UK, I left the East Rand. I could do it without a backward glance. This time it is so difficult. We have about a month left and there are too many places to visit one last time.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice

MagsB, I know what you mean. We moved here from the West Rand 18 months ago. After living here, I don't think I could move within SA again.