British Citizen by mistake?

Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

cpearse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Citizen by mistake?

Help,

Ive been a BC for 10 years and living in Spain for 7, but when applying for my new passport in The British Embassy in Argentina they told me that a mistake has occurred and I am only receiving a British Overseas Citizen passport wich is basically a transportation document.

Can somebody give me some advice on what to do??? or where to go for help??
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:54 pm
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizen by mistake?

Originally Posted by cpearse
Help,

Ive been a BC for 10 years and living in Spain for 7, but when applying for my new passport in The British Embassy in Argentina they told me that a mistake has occurred and I am only receiving a British Overseas Citizen passport wich is basically a transportation document.

Can somebody give me some advice on what to do??? or where to go for help??

If you have a problem, if no-one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:56 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I've moved your post from the Lounge. I wasn't sure which forum would be the best for you but have settled on the MBTTUK forum.

To be honest I don't really understand your question. Who made the mistake? And what was the mistake?

Sue
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sue
Hi,

I've moved your post from the Lounge. I wasn't sure which forum would be the best for you but have settled on the MBTTUK forum.

To be honest I don't really understand your question. Who made the mistake? And what was the mistake?

Sue
The british embassy in Ecuador where I was living, gave me a British Citizen passport when they should have given me a British Overseas Citizen passport(According to the embassy in Argentina) because I am a great grandson of a british citizen born in the UK (by decent)..?? but I have always had a CUKC´s passport
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

SlumdogPauper is an unknown quantity at this point

The british embassy in Ecuador where I was living, gave me a British Citizen passport when they should have given me a British Overseas Citizen passport(According to the embassy in Argentina) because I am a great grandson of a british citizen born in the UK (by decent)..?? but I have always had a CUKC´s passport
British Overseas Citizens (BOC) Some British Overseas Citizens (BOC), British Protected Persons (BPP) and British Subjects (BS) now have the right to claim full British Citizenship, whether they live in the UK or not. This is done by the Registration process, and applies to those who have only a BOC, BPP or BS passport, and do not have any other Nationality, and have not since 4 July 2002, renounced or otherwise given up any other passport / Nationality that they held.
Did you apply for your registration,and if so when and where?
Try E-mailing the UK borders agency here: [email protected]
Perhaps they can help!
Good Luck!

Last edited by SlumdogPauper; Sep 11th 2009 at 3:46 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 1:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

SO - are you saying that you were born in Argentina before 1983, and registered as a CUKC under the old consular registration provisions?
And that your closest ancestral connection to the United Kingdom is a great-grandparent?

And have you ever lived in the United Kingdom?

Can you apply for Spanish citizenship?
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:23 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
SO - are you saying that you were born in Argentina before 1983, and registered as a CUKC under the old consular registration provisions?
And that your closest ancestral connection to the United Kingdom is a great-grandparent?

Some with Argentine citizenship can claim Spanish citizenship

Up to one million people are expected to claim Spanish nationality. People last week were seen sleeping rough outside consulates in Cuba as they queued for the forms that could enable them to benefit from what has been dubbed "the grandchildren's law".

The new law, which comes into effect today, gives the chance of Spanish nationality to descendants of those who fled the country during the civil war between 1936 and 1939. It also gives a right of application to those whose grandparents fled the dictatorship of Franco, which lasted from 1939 until 1975.

from here

http://www.barcelonareporter.com/ind...h_citizenship/

if that doesn't apply I'm pretty sure the OP needs to live in Spain for 10 years in order to qualify
Old Sep 12th 2009, 2:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
if that doesn't apply I'm pretty sure the OP needs to live in Spain for 10 years in order to qualify
2 years if a citizen of Argentina (or most Latin American nations) as far as I know.

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 12th 2009 at 2:22 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ

Yes, but I was born in El Salvador registred as a CUCK and my closest connection is my great grandfather.

Regards,
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:00 am
JAJ
Retired

Yes, but I was born in El Salvador registred as a CUCK and my closest connection is my great grandfather.
El Salvador citizen by birth, I presume?

With only a distant tie to the UK, and with no UK residence, you are definitely a British Overseas citizen.

If you were issued a British citizen passport, it was a mistake, and that does not make you a British citizen.

How old were you when you got a British citizen passport? And what ties (if any) do you have to the United Kingdom and British territories?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 2:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
El Salvador citizen by birth, I presume?

With only a distant tie to the UK, and with no UK residence, you are definitely a British Overseas citizen.

If you were issued a British citizen passport, it was a mistake, and that does not make you a British citizen.

How old were you when you got a British citizen passport? And what ties (if any) do you have to the United Kingdom and British territories?
I was not a citizen of El Salvador, my mother is from Ecuador. I was 32 years, And as a result I lived in Spain for 7 years, I could have done so in England I didint because of personal reasons (wife). Arent htere any eurpean laws that could help??
Old Sep 14th 2009, 2:52 am
JAJ
Retired

I was not a citizen of El Salvador, my mother is from Ecuador. I was 32 years, And as a result I lived in Spain for 7 years, I could have done so in England I didint because of personal reasons (wife). Arent htere any eurpean laws that could help??
Unclear if so, because you're not a British citizen. Perhaps you may have options under Spanish law for a work permit/residence status.

Are you stuck in Argentina, or back in Spain?

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 14th 2009 at 2:54 am.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unclear if so, because you're not a British citizen. Perhaps you may have options under Spanish law for a work permit/residence status.

Are you stuck in Argentina, or back in Spain?
For now stuck in Argentina, but the funny thing is because I lived in Spain as a British Citizen I have legal residence to live and Work in Spain, I only need to get in and I think as a BOC I dont need a visa to get in?
Old Sep 15th 2009, 2:14 am
JAJ
Retired

For now stuck in Argentina, but the funny thing is because I lived in Spain as a British Citizen I have legal residence to live and Work in Spain, I only need to get in and I think as a BOC I dont need a visa to get in?
As far as I am aware, a BOC does need a visa.
http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...tion/global/en

As does an Ecuador passport.
(an El Salvador passport does not). You might be an El Salvador citizen, many Latin American countries give automatic citizenship by birth. Unless your parents were diplomats. Where was your father from?

What brought you to Argentina to renew your passport? Have you got an employer in Spain who could get you a permit, etc?

And you still did not answer how old you were when you were first issued with a British citizen passport.

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 15th 2009 at 2:18 am.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 5:28 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
2 years if a citizen of Argentina (or most Latin American nations) as far as I know.
I know some Argentinians who had wait 2 years to apply for residency rather than nationality, and even then it is 'renewable yearly' for a few years before they are 'permanent'

however I'm no expert..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.