Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old May 3rd 2012, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

Been reading this thread with interest as it has implications for my kids who moved over to the US with us in 2000. I doubt they are even considering moving back to the UK in the near future but life happens and things change. With these changes, it seems if they marry an American, (one has already with a baby on the way), unless they are in a high income profession, they will have zero chance of getting a visa for their spouse, that is ridiculous.

Have posted a link to the US main page but maybe it should be posted elsewhere. This is very important information. Unfortunately we are no longer registered in the UK to vote but I will pass the info on.
Old May 4th 2012, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Isabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really nice
Default Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

This thread is really worrying to me right now. I am the USC wife and hubby is the British citizen. We have five children and are in the process of moving to the UK. While I only see numbers for families up to 3 children, he will only be making 54k pounds (with bonus it would be closer to about 61-62k pounds). We do not feel we will have any problem providing for our children and will be paying a lot in taxes without using the services they are going towards (we will have private health insurance through hubby's company and we homeschool, so we will not be utilizing the educational system). When we sell our house, we will have over $160k in savings. We were hoping to leave in late August regardless if we had sold the house (it would be paid off in October anyways) so if we hadn't sold it, we would not have that large savings balance (closer to $25-30k).

Is there any more information if this 'scheme' will go into effect?

I know people have mentioned applying for my spousal settlement visa now and getting it dated up to 3 months later but unfortunately that will not be possible. All our original documents (including our marriage record and my birth certificate) are currently at the British Embassy for our children's passport applications. And as they are running horrendously slow right now, we are expecting at least 2 months before we can get them back.

Should I start to panic now?
Old May 4th 2012, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I sent an email to my MP expressing my concern about these proposals. They don't affect me personally, but I'm concerned by some of the comments on this thread. It's parents with children and elderly couples who seem to be worst affected, since both are at stages of their lives when income may be below the limits proposed, but still above the average for British families of their type.

My MP Karen Bradley has replied. She agrees with my concern about couples with children and is raising the issue with the Immigration Minister and the Home Secretary.

If anyone else on the forum is a registered overseas voter, I suggest they also write a letter. The proposals are not set in stone yet.
While I was lurking on these boards and saw this, I panicked big time too! I had ILR but left UK to settle in Canada and I believe I have lost it becaue I was away for 2 years or longer. However, I am still a tax payer as I send in tax form every year, pay NI contributions, have a bank account and we still own a house there which we rent out. My OH seeing me freak out, wrote to Theresa May (no reply) , and local MP who did reply and said we should have no problem, but he was referring to present law. I am sure they will still treat each case individually. I am concerned still though and this is one of the reasons I am trying to get my OH to retire back to UK, even if it is for a few months a year! I do not want to never be able to live in England again!
Old May 5th 2012, 12:10 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Regrettably, they will not treat each case individually, any more than they do now. I don't think there are exceptions to the current income rule, and there isn't likely to be one for the revised rule either.

The aim is simply to reduce the number of immigrants to the UK, as the Conservatives are pledged to do.

Personally, I can see the logic of demanding that couples are capable of supporting themselves, but the figures look too high to me. It creates one law for the rich and one for the poor (or just not rich enough).

The Immigration Minister Damien Green has said "We need to know not just that the right numbers of people are coming here but that the right people are coming here. People who will benefit Britain, not just those who benefit by Britain".

It's easy to agree with the sentiment, but Green seems to be assuming that only the top 50% of earners benefit Britain. What about the college lecturers, paramedics, nurses, skilled electricians, plumbers, etc etc etc, who'd be caught by these provisions?

And what about members of the armed forces?
Old May 5th 2012, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with you Editha and yes they do need some control, maybe there will be more discussion before it goes into law?
Old May 5th 2012, 1:02 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

More discussion is what we should hope for. At the moment, as far as I'm aware, it is only a proposal.
Old May 5th 2012, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Isabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really nice

I hope it stays at the proposal stage. I am now going to apply as soon as I can and note that I plan on leaving in mid-August.

I am not too worried on the financial part but dang, the accommodation part is making me bite my nails. Technically we won't be overcrowded according to their own website but still. It is only temporary until we find a place. Sure, we could have someone else find us an house to rent (and pay 2-3 months of rent when we aren't there yet!) but what if we don't like the apartment? Adjustment would be a lot easier if we can choose the place we live together as a family.

I will be biting my nails until this is all applied and (hopefully) approved. Then I will hope that they decide to to be careful with all this immigration overhaul talk. The road to he** is paved with good intentions.
Old May 16th 2012, 3:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I got in touch with my old local MP in Oxford via his contact him link on his website.

Couple weeks later, I received a letter in response saying he'll be looking into this and bringing concerns about any increased income thresholds.

Quite impressed tbh. Anyone else had any luck getting in touch with their previous MP's or having family getting in touch?
Old May 16th 2012, 12:44 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I got in touch with my old local MP in Oxford via his contact him link on his website.

Couple weeks later, I received a letter in response saying he'll be looking into this and bringing concerns about any increased income thresholds.

Quite impressed tbh. Anyone else had any luck getting in touch with their previous MP's or having family getting in touch?
One thing I like about British MPs is that (at least in my experience), many (regardless of political persuasion) are pretty good at getting back to you. For all our bashing of politicians, many of them do care about their constituencies.
Old May 17th 2012, 12:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
One thing I like about British MPs is that (at least in my experience), many (regardless of political persuasion) are pretty good at getting back to you. For all our bashing of politicians, many of them do care about their constituencies.
Yes, I noticed that too, even if they aren't able to help, it is nice that they or someone on their staff at least reads the mail.
Old May 18th 2012, 3:03 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I contacted my local MP Jeremy Browne at the beginning of august when we were still considering her moving here. Never heard anything back. Hardly surprising as the Conservative in Lib Dems clothing is now Minister for the Foreign Office.
Old May 20th 2012, 10:00 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by civilservant
I contacted my local MP Jeremy Browne at the beginning of august when we were still considering her moving here. Never heard anything back. Hardly surprising as the Conservative in Lib Dems clothing is now Minister for the Foreign Office.
In my experience, it is very unusual for any MP, from any party, not to reply to a constituent's correspondence. My MP, Karen Bradley, who replied to my letter, is a Conservative, and I'm fairly certain she knows that I am a member of another political party. That didn't stop her taking up the issue.

I doubt very much whether Jeremy Browne failed to reply to your letter for the reason you state. I suggest you remind his office that you haven't had a reply.
Old May 20th 2012, 11:30 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest Editha, now that I'm emigrating, it dosent much matter...
Old May 22nd 2012, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

just_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to all

My local MP has been pretty responsive, forwarding my concerns to Damien Green the immigration minister. The responses I've goten from the immigration minister are about as useful as a bicycle to a fish but I didn't really expect much else...

I'll post the responses I've had when I get back to the UK (currently in the USA clearing our apartment out).
Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:58 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

From my understanding of today's British press, the details are being announced tomorrow and implemented next month.

It seems just under 19k GBP is the minimum income for a Brit wanting to bring in a foreign spouse.

Considering most stay at home child carers are women, let's call it what it is...

Sexist discrimination agains British born women who marry foreign nationals and want to go home.

It certainly screws my plans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.