Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

As Rebeccajo says, there is no other way! Similar thing happened to us though in different circumstances. In 1998, we basically walked in, got ILR within a year but then had to leave as my husband could not get a job. Now, deciding to try and return, we have just been through all the hoops and are waiting for a decision.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Of course, you could consider the EEA route. I.e. you work in another European country of which you are not a citizen for a period of time (exact amount of time not very clear) and then move back to the UK and apply to be treated like a non-British European national under the Directive on Free Movement.

Search terms: Surinder Singh route, EEA family permit, Directive 2004/38/EC.

See: https://www.facebook.com/surindersinghroute
britishexpats.com/articles/uk/surinder-singh-route/‎

This is an option until the UK leave the EU at least. No-one knows for sure what will happen after this.

You might want to open your own post after you read through the stuff above. More info is also available on: www.immigrationboards.com
Old Apr 16th 2014, 6:18 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callowman
Welcome to the forum, and yes these new rules have thrown us all under the bus
but, from what I read it was done to stop all these arranged marriages etc from Pakistan and India but it had to be for everyone to avoid "looking racist"

I for one am all in favour of stopping immigration from Pakistan an India and Africa (we even have Somali gangs in London now)

but a bigger problem is with the EU open borders-and all the eastern Europeans arriving for benefits and homes etc when are they going to do something about that ???
I believe when the people *finally* get a referendum on the EU it will be a resounding OUT ! especially after the Hamza an Qatada debacle (Hamza -although kicked out his family still there on benefits).......
It's such a pity that native Brits now have to jump through hoops to bring home the person they love simply because previous governments have failed miserably with immigration, particularly from places like Pakistan, India and some African countries.

Our leaders are so weak they are punishing us for their past mistakes...and I don't think for a second it will stem or reverse the apparent colonisation of some parts of the country by certain ethnic and religious groups.

The message is if you are English, Irish, Scots or Welsh you will be punished for marrying a foreigner - even if they are educated, pro-British and law abiding...all because they don't want to be seen as racist.

SOmeone needs the balls to say "No more immigration from the Sub-Continent and Africa except in exceptional circumstances." It shouldn't be easier for someone who speaks no English and will not assimilate into our way of life to come to the UK than a secular Singaporean Engineer or a scientist from Beijing or Tokyo for example.

N.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
It's such a pity that native Brits now have to jump through hoops to bring home the person they love simply because previous governments have failed miserably with immigration, particularly from places like Pakistan, India and some African countries.

Our leaders are so weak they are punishing us for their past mistakes...and I don't think for a second it will stem or reverse the apparent colonisation of some parts of the country by certain ethnic and religious groups.

The message is if you are English, Irish, Scots or Welsh you will be punished for marrying a foreigner - even if they are educated, pro-British and law abiding...all because they don't want to be seen as racist.

SOmeone needs the balls to say "No more immigration from the Sub-Continent and Africa except in exceptional circumstances." It shouldn't be easier for someone who speaks no English and will not assimilate into our way of life to come to the UK than a secular Singaporean Engineer or a scientist from Beijing or Tokyo for example.

N.
As saddening as it is, I absolutely agree with this. The number of immigrants coming in with British citizens is quite low compared to those who seem to be illegal, but able to get legal status quite easily.

I don't care about the background of anyone coming to the UK, but what makes me angry is that they don't seem to be questioned as much as the foreign family members of Brits (or Irish citizens who are also viewed as being settle in the UK). Something needs to be done to let the government know that it has placed its focus on the wrong immigrants! The question is: how?

This issues makes me really sad.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 12:41 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

N.
Erm.

No.

I'm sorry to say that still smacks of dividing up the "good" immigrants from the "bad" immigrants. What is the difference between putting up broad restrictions on a culture of people, and the current broad restrictions on an economic class of people?

When it comes to family, the focus of the government needs to change.

There ARE legitimate marital relationships between native Brits and persons from the "sub continent and Africa".

There are also regions from which it is well know that those citizens prey on the affections of people from developed countries. They are hoping for a marriage that leads to a better way of life.

The government should focus on a system that tests the bonafides of a relationship. That is the only fair way to handle family immigration.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Freespeech121 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm British and have been in a relationship with my Russian girlfriend for two years and try as i might i just can't raise the money or get a job with the correct salary.
We have been meeting by her coming here on Tourists visas, afraid we may have ruined our chances by doing this.
Feeling utter despair, seems like we are doomed.
Is there any advice someone can give me as i don't know where to turn and feel completely helpless.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

At least you haven't got kids being torn apart from their parents with this British government making a right mess of things.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

That's true i haven't but I'm just trying to find a way to be with someone i love, feel for you but i still need help
Old Apr 25th 2014, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

shoosy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Freespeech121
That's true i haven't but I'm just trying to find a way to be with someone i love, feel for you but i still need help
As the system seems to change on a daily basis I'm not sure if it still exists but try the fiance visa
Old Apr 25th 2014, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shoosy1
As the system seems to change on a daily basis I'm not sure if it still exists but try the fiance visa
Thanks but is it worth it if i don't earn enough money?
Old Apr 25th 2014, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Freespeech121
Thanks but is it worth it if i don't earn enough money?
Some options:

- Get a second job
- Live and work in Europe where your girlfriend could join you as partner of EU citizen exercising rights
- Move to Russia
- Continue the long term relationship until such time as you can improve your situation by getting a better job with better income
- your girlfriend gets a visa to study in the UK until such time as your situation improves
Old Apr 25th 2014, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Some options:

- Get a second job
- Live and work in Europe where your girlfriend could join you as partner of EU citizen exercising rights
- Move to Russia
- Continue the long term relationship until such time as you can improve your situation by getting a better job with better income
- your girlfriend gets a visa to study in the UK until such time as your situation improves
thanks for advice, I am exploring many of those options.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

@Freespeech121

Firstly, if you are ready for it, why not get married first? This might make things easier in the future. Of course, you don't have to get married in the UK, it could be anywhere as long as it's done in accordance with the local law.

I definitely would recommend that you consider working in another EEA country, e.g. Spain/Germany or wherever. After working there for a period of time (unspecified in the regulations), you could apply for an EEA family permit from the British Embassy of the country where you are living for your wife (or partner if unmarried). This is called the Surinder Singh route. I'm sure you know of it already (and Sandiegogirl mentioned it in her list above).

Of course, the challenge with this route is showing the Home Office how you have moved your life to the new country, i.e. bank accounts/residence documents/job/learning the language/joining clubs & societies etc. Oh, of course you need to be exercising treaty rights, e.g. working/self-employed etc. with all the proof/evidence that would normally be required. Your wife/gf would also need to be living there with you and you would probably need to show that both of you have utility bills/banks statements etc delivered to the same address. A rental contract would also be needed.

There's a lot to think about in this route, but many people have completed it in the past...if you're mobile and committed, there's no reason why you shouldn't give it a go. Who knows, you might even enjoy living in another EEA country and get citizenship for your wife/gf there!

All the best.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chaoclive
@Freespeech121

Firstly, if you are ready for it, why not get married first? This might make things easier in the future. Of course, you don't have to get married in the UK, it could be anywhere as long as it's done in accordance with the local law.

I definitely would recommend that you consider working in another EEA country, e.g. Spain/Germany or wherever. After working there for a period of time (unspecified in the regulations), you could apply for an EEA family permit from the British Embassy of the country where you are living for your wife (or partner if unmarried). This is called the Surinder Singh route. I'm sure you know of it already (and Sandiegogirl mentioned it in her list above).

Of course, the challenge with this route is showing the Home Office how you have moved your life to the new country, i.e. bank accounts/residence documents/job/learning the language/joining clubs & societies etc. Oh, of course you need to be exercising treaty rights, e.g. working/self-employed etc. with all the proof/evidence that would normally be required. Your wife/gf would also need to be living there with you and you would probably need to show that both of you have utility bills/banks statements etc delivered to the same address. A rental contract would also be needed.

There's a lot to think about in this route, but many people have completed it in the past...if you're mobile and committed, there's no reason why you shouldn't give it a go. Who knows, you might even enjoy living in another EEA country and get citizenship for your wife/gf there!

All the best.
Thank you very much for taking the time to write an informative response to my question, i have thought about this option and agree that this seems like a more viable direction to take than most others
Old Apr 27th 2014, 12:28 am
Just Joined

lordrob27@gmail.com is an unknown quantity at this point

im Australian. met my british wife on the internet. 06. we went through all the oz immigration stuff to get her here. passed everything, did everything, got married in 09 etc. shes lived and worked here all that time. we are wondering if someone can advise us if its the spouse visa we need for me to go over there with her to live. I understand that one of these visas requires her to have been working over there and earning 18,500 year. if that's right its impossible really because shes been here and working. have we got the wrong info. we would really appreciate some guidance. thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.