Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

jezza1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Originally Posted by rukiddingme
Hmm, I'd go to Ireland, at least you wouldn't have so much to deal with regarding the language.

Also, here's another link to a story where the Immigration Minister is supposedly getting involved.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/...ttle-1-5042269

Again not exactly a national paper. It almost seems that these human interest stories are being ignored because they don't fit in with the tabloids/nationals usual line on what an immigration story should look like?? Or, maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Anyway Jezza I thought I'd reach out as I spoke to an immigration lawyer last Friday. She didn't seem to think I'd have any issues bringing the other half back to the UK as I'm working now, earning more than the threshold, and even though I don't have a job lined up in the UK we do have $$s in the bank. She was all about not being a burden on the state. When I asked about specific numbers i.e the £62500 she seemed to think that only applied to people who hadn't been working and don't have a job lined up. It seems to me that she was coming from the old rules where there was common-sense allowed. Given that the new rules only came in 2.5 months ago, I don't think that they even know how the processing is going at this stage, it's still too early. They charge £2500++ to put your app in for you. I'm waiting until the New Year in the hope that there's some clarity regarding the rules. Plus there's a slim possibility of a work transfer for the OH which would get me through the bit that we're struggling with which is the leave to enter. After 6 months we'd be able to apply and start the ball rolling on the spouse visa at that stage.
rukiddingme - if you don't have a job lined up in the UK, then unfortunately you're still no better off. If you do have a job lined up to come to in the UK making over £18,600pa. that's great. But you need to have made the same equivalent amount oveseas in local currency for at least 12 months prior to moving to the UK. Or as you say, just work in the UK for 6mths first. I'd also question an immigration lawyer charging you £2500 to submit an application when the application fee is just £900. As a former ECO, we had very little regard for immigration lawyers. The application process is very simple and they're doing very little for their money - and in my personal experience, applications submitted by a lawyer get no more of a preference and no higher success rate than those submitted by an individual. My advice is to submit your own application & put the rest of the money towards flights! Also, although you're right in saying it's early days in terms of processing applications under the new rules, the process has started. I don't think there's any likilehood of change at the moment (unfortunately).
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Very sorry to hear about this F Laowai, I'm starting to write to all of the MPs that I think could help. I see that there's a discussion in the Lords tomorrow regarding the income requirement.
Also, re your earlier post, unfortunately I think your immigration lawyer is taking you for a ride. £2500 for submitting an application that carries a fee of just £900 is day-light robbery. In my experience as an ECO, immigration laywers are held in very low regard. They do very little for their money & too be honest the application process is so simple that they're just a waste of money. Applications submitted by them get no better chance of sucess or any preferential treatment. You're right in saying it's early days in terms of processing, but it has started. I know this from former work colleagues still based overseas. And it's a black and white process for them, issue or refuse. No cases are being deferred or considered beyond the scope of the rules. I wish that wasn't the case, but it's the harsh reality.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

kurashikisuzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jezza1000
rukiddingme - Where did you hear about the debate in the House of Lords? I've looked up their schedule for tomorrow online & couldn't find anything.
Jezza1000, here's a link to some info on tomorrow's House of Lords schedule: http://www.publications.parliament.u...d/ldordpap.htm. I also had trouble finding it though, took a bit of searching. Can't seem to find much else on it though.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Former Laowai is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kurashikisuzy
Jezza1000, here's a link to some info on tomorrow's House of Lords schedule: http://www.publications.parliament.u...d/ldordpap.htm. I also had trouble finding it though, took a bit of searching. Can't seem to find much else on it though.
Thanks K

"Tuesday 23 October at 2.30pm

*Lord Anderson of Swansea to ask Her Majesty’s Government what has been the outcome of the review of the status of United Kingdom membership of the European Defence Agency announced in October 2010.

*Lord Cotter to ask Her Majesty’s Government what action they are taking to address the issue of late payments to small and medium-sized enterprises.

*Baroness Gardner of Parkes to ask Her Majesty’s Government whether, in relation to proposals to restructure NHS services in North-West London, the Department of Health has entered into dialogue with Transport for London regarding traffic levels and their impact upon speed of access to Accident and Emergency services.

Topical oral question. Ballot to be drawn on Friday 19 October at 1pm.

Trusts (Capital and Income) Bill [HL] Third Reading [Lord McNally] (Law Commission Bill)

†Infrastructure (Financial Assistance) Bill Second Reading (and remaining stages) [Lord Newby] (Money Bill
)

Baroness Smith of Basildon to move that this House regrets that notwithstanding welcome but limited measures to ensure the deportation of foreign criminals and tackle sham marriages, and notwithstanding the importance of greater protection for the taxpayer, the Government have not demonstrated that the specific minimum annual income requirement which has been introduced through the Statement of Changes in Immigration Rules (HC 194) is the most effective way to protect taxpayers and deliver fairness for UK citizens who wish their spouse or partner to settle in the United Kingdom. 6th Report from the Secondary Legislation Scrutiny Committee

Grand Committee in the Moses Room at 3.30pm"
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 10:59 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Also, re your earlier post, unfortunately I think your immigration lawyer is taking you for a ride. £2500 for submitting an application that carries a fee of just £900 is day-light robbery. In my experience as an ECO, immigration laywers are held in very low regard. They do very little for their money & too be honest the application process is so simple that they're just a waste of money. Applications submitted by them get no better chance of sucess or any preferential treatment. You're right in saying it's early days in terms of processing, but it has started. I know this from former work colleagues still based overseas. And it's a black and white process for them, issue or refuse. No cases are being deferred or considered beyond the scope of the rules. I wish that wasn't the case, but it's the harsh reality.
I will step in here and say the same thing I've always said about hiring an immigration lawyer for US processing. It depends on who you get and how they practice, and what they practice.

And I certainly wouldn't let what ECO's think of immigration lawyers affect my opinion! Lord knows the Home Office can barely be held above the blunder level..........

Early days? You betcha. And there are denials happening out there right now that are needless. Go to UKBA in the USA (on Facebook) if you want to read some of them.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 11:06 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I'd go to Ireland, at least you wouldn't have so much to deal with regarding the language.

Also, here's another link to a story where the Immigration Minister is supposedly getting involved.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/...ttle-1-5042269

Again not exactly a national paper. It almost seems that these human interest stories are being ignored because they don't fit in with the tabloids/nationals usual line on what an immigration story should look like?? Or, maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Anyway Jezza I thought I'd reach out as I spoke to an immigration lawyer last Friday. She didn't seem to think I'd have any issues bringing the other half back to the UK as I'm working now, earning more than the threshold, and even though I don't have a job lined up in the UK we do have $$s in the bank. She was all about not being a burden on the state. When I asked about specific numbers i.e the £62500 she seemed to think that only applied to people who hadn't been working and don't have a job lined up. It seems to me that she was coming from the old rules where there was common-sense allowed. Given that the new rules only came in 2.5 months ago, I don't think that they even know how the processing is going at this stage, it's still too early. They charge £2500++ to put your app in for you. I'm waiting until the New Year in the hope that there's some clarity regarding the rules. Plus there's a slim possibility of a work transfer for the OH which would get me through the bit that we're struggling with which is the leave to enter. After 6 months we'd be able to apply and start the ball rolling on the spouse visa at that stage.
..........and all that being said about lawyers, the savings threshold doesn't apply just to those who "hadn't been working and don't have a job lined up". Anyone needing to use savings to supplement an income shortfall will need AT LEAST 16K in the bank before monies over that amount can be used to offset shortfall.

I hope your lawyer knows these things. And a good lawyer should have a clue how "processing is going these days". The info is out there.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
I will step in here and say the same thing I've always said about hiring an immigration lawyer for US processing. It depends on who you get and how they practice, and what they practice.

And I certainly wouldn't let what ECO's think of immigration lawyers affect my opinion! Lord knows the Home Office can barely be held above the blunder level..........

Early days? You betcha. And there are denials happening out there right now that are needless. Go to UKBA in the USA (on Facebook) if you want to read some of them.
rebeccajo - I'm merely trying to help somone save their money. Applications submitted by an immigration lawyer get NO better treatment above those sent from individuals. And that's exactly how it should be. I have permanent residency in the US and got my green card without wasting thousands of dollars on a lawyer. I submitted all my own paperwork and documentation. It's really very simple. The UK system, in terms of paperwork and application forms, is even easier and anyone with an ounce of common sense should be able to follow it. I don't appreciate your implication that all employees in the Home Office are barely above 'blunder level'. I was paid to do my job. To apply the immigration rules as they had been determined by the blunder-filled Labour government. And I did so very well thank you. I wouldn't dare to criticise you for whatever job you do, so please don't do the same.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
..........and all that being said about lawyers, the savings threshold doesn't apply just to those who "hadn't been working and don't have a job lined up". Anyone needing to use savings to supplement an income shortfall will need AT LEAST 16K in the bank before monies over that amount can be used to offset shortfall.
I hope your lawyer knows these things. And a good lawyer should have a clue how "processing is going these days". The info is out there.
The immigration rules are in the public domain. If you want to waste money on hiring a lawyer to do something you could do yourself, then good luck to you. But they can't circumvent the rules. They are what they are, whether a lawyer or individual applies. Like I said, I found the USCIS system simple and logical. And why would a lawyer have a clue on how processing is going? That, I'm afraid, is NOT in the public domain. Perhaps I should re-train as an Immigration Lawyer and get paid thousands to something that someone could do themselves!!
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

This is a live video feed to the House of Commons. Motions start at 2:30 but the one we're all interested in is the last to be heard. It's also on BBC Parliament from 7:30pm - 11pm so may be easier to DVR it and fast forward to the relevant bit.

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/main/Pl...eetingId=11559
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 10:05 am
Just Joined

rukiddingme is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a live video feed to the House of Commons. Motions start at 2:30 but the one we're all interested in is the last to be heard. It's also on BBC Parliament from 7:30pm - 11pm so may be easier to DVR it and fast forward to the relevant bit.

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/main/Pl...eetingId=11559
That's great! Just mailed my letters to the PM and Harper. Be interesting to see how it goes, time difference is too much for me to stay up!
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 11:41 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe these will help.

supreme-court-immigration-rules

House of Lords statement - June 2012

House of Commons library - August 2012
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

That's great! Just mailed my letters to the PM and Harper. Be interesting to see how it goes, time difference is too much for me to stay up!
I also wrote to Mark Harper 3 weeks ago. He just happens to be my local MP as well as Minister for Immigration. Will let you know when I get a reply, apparently he's got a good track record for responding. He helped my Uncle out quite a bit with a problem he had locally. I'd be interested to know what he says to you as well.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The immigration rules are in the public domain.
The UK system, in terms of paperwork and application forms, is even easier and anyone with an ounce of common sense should be able to follow it.
I'm not in favour of hiring a lawyer normally either but I have a couple of observations based on my own experience and, although it's for Canada, I don't imagine that country is alone in not always getting things right.

Some of the things on their website are contradictory - particularly when it comes to the guides corresponding to particular forms.

I remember a classic where it stated a refund of fees (for something not proceeding) did not need to be requested and then went on to give the process after you requested it. There was also something about certain family members that one would assume were not part of the application and one bit said to include them but the form said not to.

Anyway, that bit of common sense might be missing. No aspersions intended but a series of mistakes were made when they processed our application.

They corrected the mistakes but nearly two years later (it was supposed to be 6 months) it became apparent they had failed to correct the very first mistake and the application was rejected as a result of that.

I had a letter of apology and an explanation of how they should have handled it at the beginning. But they let the decision stand.

We had to make a second (but identical) application (with second set of fees ) as it was quicker than the appeal.

I have often wondered if a lawyer would have cottoned onto something not being quite right (based on their experience of other applications) and saved us a couple of years. Not to mention they'd likely know which conflicting bits of information were the correct bits.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Former Laowai is on a distinguished road

I also wrote to Mark Harper 3 weeks ago. He just happens to be my local MP as well as Minister for Immigration. Will let you know when I get a reply, apparently he's got a good track record for responding. He helped my Uncle out quite a bit with a problem he had locally. I'd be interested to know what he says to you as well.
I can only judge Harper on how he has responded to my case and can therefore only judge him as being very slow to respond, cruelly judgmental and 'apparently' an evil cad in the same mold as Theresa May. Good luck Jezza and please let me/us know if he treats you any better. 3 weeks is already too long a time in my opinion.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Check this out. Baroness Angela Smith raised concerns over the income threshhold in the House Of Lords tonight. The "Mr S" she refers to in her speech is me. I took the liberty of emailing her only this afternoon on hearing she was going to make the speech. To my surprise she got back to me within the hour.

Fast forward to about 2:80:00 in or just after, for her speech.

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Pl...eetingId=11559

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.