Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Oct 16th 2012, 11:55 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Originally Posted by Former Laowai
Rukidding me and Don... there are clearly many different types of families that are going to be suffering for varying reasons and I think that the most effective (most likely to reach 100,000 signatures) petition, must highlight this variety of different innocent people.
One love to you and yours :-)
FW, I just want to say that I've been reading your posts in this thread and - well really I just feel so terribly bad for you and your family.

Continue to use us here for support. And hang in there. You aren't alone.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Former Laowai is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
FW, I just want to say that I've been reading your posts in this thread and - well really I just feel so terribly bad for you and your family.

Continue to use us here for support. And hang in there. You aren't alone.
Thanks Rebeccajo.
I'm just lucky, very lucky in fact, that my parents can look after the boys while I do my 6 months. And I'm lucky that my wife is so trusting and patient.
At least there is now an end in sight for us and that makes it a lot easier to handle being apart.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

jezza1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife is a US Citizen. We've been married for almost 5 years and have a 4 year old son with dual US/British citizenship. I have permanent residency in the US, but we made the decision to relocate to the UK. My parents are much older than my wife's and we wanted to be closer to them, so both we and our son could see more of them and can help them out in their old age. Not too much to ask is it?

I used to work for the Foreign Office and was posted overseas as an Entry Clearance Officer for 4 years. So I have a pretty good working knowledge of the Immigration Rules, having processed thousands of visa applications myself.

However, having not worked in immigration for over 2 years, it was only when we came to look into making my wife's applicaton that we found the rules had changed so drastically. Previously you just has to demonstrate you could 'adequately' maintain & accommodate your spouse. It was a common sense decision that the ECO could make themselves. Third party support (ie from parents etc) was perfectly acceptable, there was no statutory minimum income for the sponsor to earn (although it was very loosely based on the income support amount for a couple over 18, which is £111.45 a week). They also took into account the applicant's ability to find employment in the UK and ALL savings were admissable, not just those over £16,000. The new rules take all powers of discretion away from the ECO. If you don't meet the rules, you get refused. Simple as that.

I honestly couldn't believe the rule could have been lawful, or that it would have been passed in parliament. I had been a stay-at-home dad for much of our time in the US. My wife had the better job, child-care costs were exhorbitant and so it made sense. Although I've had good jobs in the past, she has a degree and an MBA in Finance, has worked as an investment banker and is currently a US Diplomat. So clearly her chances of getting a job here should be pretty good. But that's no longer taken into account.

So, I've had to move over here with our son and am currently living with my parents. Meanwhile, my wife is on her own in a tiny studio apartment in Washington. I'm desperately trying to find a job that would make the required £18,600 a year. That's not a realistic amount to find easily in this area, so I'm looking for work in London. If I do get a job there, my wife will need to come over here as a visitor to take care of my son (my parents couldn't cope at their age). That would allow me to move to London, pay exhorbitant rent and work for the required 6 months. She would also have to run the gauntlet of leaving the UK at some point, then coming back in, to renew her period of entry clearance. Realistically, she'd need a little more than 6 months.

The ludicrous nature of this situation and the rule change, means that in theory I could earn the right amount but would likely end up spending a huge proportion of that on living in London. Yet I could probably pick up a job round here earning around £14,000 a year and live with my parents in the short-term and would have way more disposable income to support my wife! Thats how senseless the rules are.

I wrote to my MP, Mark Harper (who is coincidentally also Minister for Immigration), about 3 weeks ago. No reply yet, although he is well known for getting back to his constituents. So if I hear anything, I'll post again.

I'm really perplexed that Human Rights Article 8 (the right to family life) can no longer be used. Under the old rules, that had more weight given to it and ECOs couldn't be seen to be keeping families apart when there was no genuine reason to. I wonder if anyone has questioned this with the European Court yet? I don't have any contacts there, but I'm betting it's something that could be worth a go.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jezza1000
My wife is a US Citizen. We've been married for almost 5 years and have a 4 year old son with dual US/British citizenship. I have permanent residency in the US, but we made the decision to relocate to the UK. My parents are much older than my wife's and we wanted to be closer to them, so both we and our son could see more of them and can help them out in their old age. Not too much to ask is it?

I used to work for the Foreign Office and was posted overseas as an Entry Clearance Officer for 4 years. So I have a pretty good working knowledge of the Immigration Rules, having processed thousands of visa applications myself.

However, having not worked in immigration for over 2 years, it was only when we came to look into making my wife's applicaton that we found the rules had changed so drastically. Previously you just has to demonstrate you could 'adequately' maintain & accommodate your spouse. It was a common sense decision that the ECO could make themselves. Third party support (ie from parents etc) was perfectly acceptable, there was no statutory minimum income for the sponsor to earn (although it was very loosely based on the income support amount for a couple over 18, which is £111.45 a week). They also took into account the applicant's ability to find employment in the UK and ALL savings were admissable, not just those over £16,000. The new rules take all powers of discretion away from the ECO. If you don't meet the rules, you get refused. Simple as that.

I honestly couldn't believe the rule could have been lawful, or that it would have been passed in parliament. I had been a stay-at-home dad for much of our time in the US. My wife had the better job, child-care costs were exhorbitant and so it made sense. Although I've had good jobs in the past, she has a degree and an MBA in Finance, has worked as an investment banker and is currently a US Diplomat. So clearly her chances of getting a job here should be pretty good. But that's no longer taken into account.

So, I've had to move over here with our son and am currently living with my parents. Meanwhile, my wife is on her own in a tiny studio apartment in Washington. I'm desperately trying to find a job that would make the required £18,600 a year. That's not a realistic amount to find easily in this area, so I'm looking for work in London. If I do get a job there, my wife will need to come over here as a visitor to take care of my son (my parents couldn't cope at their age). That would allow me to move to London, pay exhorbitant rent and work for the required 6 months. She would also have to run the gauntlet of leaving the UK at some point, then coming back in, to renew her period of entry clearance. Realistically, she'd need a little more than 6 months.

The ludicrous nature of this situation and the rule change, means that in theory I could earn the right amount but would likely end up spending a huge proportion of that on living in London. Yet I could probably pick up a job round here earning around £14,000 a year and live with my parents in the short-term and would have way more disposable income to support my wife! Thats how senseless the rules are.

I wrote to my MP, Mark Harper (who is coincidentally also Minister for Immigration), about 3 weeks ago. No reply yet, although he is well known for getting back to his constituents. So if I hear anything, I'll post again.

I'm really perplexed that Human Rights Article 8 (the right to family life) can no longer be used. Under the old rules, that had more weight given to it and ECOs couldn't be seen to be keeping families apart when there was no genuine reason to. I wonder if anyone has questioned this with the European Court yet? I don't have any contacts there, but I'm betting it's something that could be worth a go.
Hello Jezza, I am a retired Industrial Civil Servant - now aged 82, and have been married to my Thai Wife, (and lived there with her) since July 2007.
We came back to my own home here in Shropshire in Feb 2011. And also now have problems obtaining her Settlement Visa - because we have not been back here long enough, although her temporary one expires in May.

However, your question re the Court of Human rights, did have a case, brought by a lady, in similar circumstances, and was unsuccessful - but I do not know the reasons, for it geting refused.
This might help, for you to locate the details and the reasons for the outcome. Please keep in touch. Don
Old Oct 19th 2012, 2:45 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jezza1000. I'm so sorry to hear of your situation.

As to your question about a challenge in the ECHR, I've not heard of the case Dontheturner refers to, but I did read a law blog recently that delves into this legal problem of the clear conflict between the new rules and the Article 8 rights supposedly guaranteed by the ECHR.
http://ukconstitutionallaw.org/2012/...o-family-life/

In the final paragraph, the author, R. Thomas, states his strong feeling that a "showdown" of sorts must be coming in the ECHR, but he predicts this will probably be in 2013-14, too late for some here, unfortunately...but perhaps providing a glimmer of hope for others who can manage to wait a few years to see what happens....
Old Oct 19th 2012, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
As to your question about a challenge in the ECHR, I've not heard of the case Dontheturner refers to, but I did read a law blog recently that delves into this legal problem of the clear conflict between the new rules and the Article 8 rights supposedly guaranteed by the ECHR.
http://ukconstitutionallaw.org/2012/...o-family-life/
Very interesting blog. One quote in there (attributed to Lord Bingham) really sticks out:
It [the tribunal] will, for example, recognise that it will rarely be proportionate to uphold an order for removal of a spouse if there is a close and genuine bond with the other spouse and that spouse cannot reasonably be expected to follow the removed spouse to the country of removal, or if the effect of the order is to sever a genuine and subsisting relationship between parent and child.
I guess that any appeal made by those in that situation would succeeed. But - who wants to spend the necessary 9-12 months apart for an appeal when they can reduce it to 6-9 if they have a job lined up?
Old Oct 19th 2012, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Welcome to the forum Jezza.

I feel so sad and angry reading your story. Mine isn't too dissimilar and our numbers are growing.

Don't get your hopes up with Mark Harper though and PLEASE be careful with bringing your wife over initially on a visitor visa. Harper claims my wife's visit was deceitful simply because I enquired through my MP about extending her visit. Despite her leaving before her 6 month visa expired, having not worked here or cost the taxpayer a penny, he has stamped her file saying that she should have been refused entry effectively banning her from applying to visit the UK for 10 years.

I'm not kidding, the bloke is a nasty piece of work and I can't type here what I've dreamed of doing to him.

I start work on Monday and have to leave my 2 infant boys with their grandparents while my poor wife of 6 years sits patiently waiting in China to be allowed to see us again. My family is officially split into 3 pieces now directly as a result of this government's policy and they don't care 2 hoots about it. My MP David Laws knows my story and even my parents have begged him to help, but nothing, not a thing.

I really hope you find that golden job Jezza. It took 7 months of rejection for me before I finally found mine... you just have to keep trying mate, be brave and try to stay positive
Old Oct 19th 2012, 6:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if anyone has questioned this with the European Court yet?
Originally Posted by dontheturner
However, your question re the Court of Human rights, did have a case, brought by a lady, in similar circumstances, and was unsuccessful -
I wouldn't have thought the rules had been in long enough for a case to have arisen and gone through the necessary processes to get that far yet.

...I did read a law blog recently that delves into this legal problem of the clear conflict between the new rules and the Article 8 rights supposedly guaranteed by the ECHR.

In the final paragraph, the author, R. Thomas, states his strong feeling that a "showdown" of sorts must be coming in the ECHR, but he predicts this will probably be in 2013-14, too late for some here
Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
Very interesting blog. One quote in there (attributed to Lord Bingham) really sticks out:
I guess that any appeal made by those in that situation would succeed. But - who wants to spend the necessary 9-12 months apart for an appeal when they can reduce it to 6-9 if they have a job lined up?

I do remember that on various occasions in the past, some legislation has been ruled unlawful by British courts without there actually being a case to hear.

I can understand that would mean a British court ruling something unlawful under British law but is there not something similar within Europe?

What I am thinking of is a situation in football regarding players foreign to the country in which they play.

The games authorities have proposed quotas to limit the numbers of players from abroad, including those from EU countries playing in other EU countries and the proposals are against EU employment laws.

Now none of the associations in Europe have brought in the necessary change to allow quotas, and nobody has taken a case to Europe.

Why? Because some official body has explicitly told the game's authorities that such a rule would break EU employment law. And that was the end of it.

So why is there no similar 'body' (or the very same one) to say this legislation is explicitly against EU Human rights legislation?

It really shouldn't need an actual case.

I recall hearing a country can't be a member of the EU if that country has capital punishment. So if a member of the EU brought in legislation to allow it, would it need a first conviction/sentence and someone to be on Death Row before a case was made to Europe, or would that country be told such a law was contrary to membership in the same way this denial of right to family life is contrary to EU membership?
Old Oct 19th 2012, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Really interesting post Bristol.
Do we have any legal experts here who can comment on this?
Old Oct 19th 2012, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=BristolUK;10339558]I wouldn't have thought the rules had been in long enough for a case to have arisen and gone through the necessary processes to get that far yet.
QUOTE]

Sorry, BristolUK - but the problems of Guys in the UK, marrying ladies from ''Outside the EU'' have been ongoing for long before I married a lady from Thailand, and although the 'Rules' have in July of this year been changed for the worse, the main stumbling blocks have been around for several years.. A lady took a case in this past year, or so, to the Court of human rights, but as I said, I was in Thailand at the time, and cannot recall the full details.

Surely, someone will know, what transpired? - for I do know, her case failed. Don
Old Oct 19th 2012, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Laowai
Welcome to the forum Jezza.

I feel so sad and angry reading your story. Mine isn't too dissimilar and our numbers are growing.

Don't get your hopes up with Mark Harper though and PLEASE be careful with bringing your wife over initially on a visitor visa. Harper claims my wife's visit was deceitful simply because I enquired through my MP about extending her visit. Despite her leaving before her 6 month visa expired, having not worked here or cost the taxpayer a penny, he has stamped her file saying that she should have been refused entry effectively banning her from applying to visit the UK for 10 years.

I'm not kidding, the bloke is a nasty piece of work and I can't type here what I've dreamed of doing to him.

I start work on Monday and have to leave my 2 infant boys with their grandparents while my poor wife of 6 years sits patiently waiting in China to be allowed to see us again. My family is officially split into 3 pieces now directly as a result of this government's policy and they don't care 2 hoots about it. My MP David Laws knows my story and even my parents have begged him to help, but nothing, not a thing.

I really hope you find that golden job Jezza. It took 7 months of rejection for me before I finally found mine... you just have to keep trying mate, be brave and try to stay positive
Cheers mate, you too. Our saving grace on the visit front, is that as a US citizen, my wife doesn't need to get a visitor visa. She automatically gets a stamp for 6 months on arrival. Could potentially still cause issues when she leaves & returns to renew her stay, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!
Old Oct 19th 2012, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=dontheturner;10339658]
Originally Posted by BristolUK
I wouldn't have thought the rules had been in long enough for a case to have arisen and gone through the necessary processes to get that far yet.
QUOTE]

Sorry, BristolUK - but the problems of Guys in the UK, marrying ladies from ''Outside the EU'' have been ongoing for long before I married a lady from Thailand, and although the 'Rules' have in July of this year been changed for the worse, the main stumbling blocks have been around for several years.. A lady took a case in this past year, or so, to the Court of human rights, but as I said, I was in Thailand at the time, and cannot recall the full details.

Surely, someone will know, what transpired? - for I do know, her case failed. Don
Don, too be honest, I think the old rules were perfectly ok. If anything they were a little too lax & that gave the freedom for too many people to abuse them. The problem now is we're seeing the other extreme, it's got too tough. But the real problem now, as former work colleagues are telling me, is that the ECO no longer has any discretion. They're being forced to refuse spouse visas that would easily meet the old criteria or only just fall short of the new criteria, when common sense would tell them they should be issuing.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 1:25 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, BristolUK - but the problems of Guys in the UK, marrying ladies from ''Outside the EU'' have been ongoing for long before I married a lady from Thailand, and although the 'Rules' have in July of this year been changed for the worse
I'm sure there have been problems but to a certain extent, some HR legislation is relatively recent.

More importantly the recent changes, it seems to me, are a much greater infringement of human rights compared to anything before.

At the very least, the existence of discretion referred to as existing previously would enable a humanitarian decision. So long as that existed it would be hard to argue HR were being disregarded.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 8:23 am
Just Joined

beth1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rukiddingme
Hi former laowai, here's a link to a family in a very similar position, but there's no follow up as to whether the Mum did return to Korea with/without her boys.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk...ail/story.html

So, the media is getting hold of this in bits and drabs, the overall tone of the comments for this story were positive. Obviously local media and not a tabloid...

Personally, I think that my story would be a great one, (obviously!!) but married 12 years, 3 highly photogenic kids, parents less so (both working too hard...). But the difference is we're all Caucasian/White/ Euros or here in Singapore 'Other' which really does make you think... We don't look like your usual 'immigration story', and at the end of the day that's what (I think) people are sick of, that and the lack of assimilation. We aren't moving to the UK for the NHS, gasp! But for family, friends stability for the kids so they have somewhere to leave and come back to. Rant over.
Your comments regarding the 6months cohabiting, are nothing to do with our situation. My Wife (from Thailand) came back with me on a LLR Settlement Visa.- Valid for 27 months. (We lived in Thailand from November 2007 till February last year) She then has to apply for an ILR Settlement Visa. But to qualify, we have to prove, that we have regularly cohabited for 4 Years.- That aspect of these regulations, may have also increased. We were married in 2007, and returned (as just mentioned) to the UK, in February of last year. To my way of thinking, a Spouse Visa, is worse than nothing. the period is far too short. Don
I'm new to this, never been in a forum etc., so I may be doing the wrong thing by jumping in - sorry if I am. I am a Brit and my husband of 34 years is an Aussie. We've been expats for 31 years and retiring (hopefully) Nov. 1. Unfortunately the new Settlement Visa is a proving to be a thorn in our sides - there is no way to check the process and I may end up leaving Nov. 1 on my own. We have a mortgage free home, plenty of savings so we're not going to need any UK benefit schemes etc. etc. We initially checked John's situation in April of this year and phone the Brit Embassy here and were told not need to worry - it could be handled when we arrive in the UK. We only learned early August (luckily) of the new law. The Settlement form is crazy and doesn't take into account people who've been married for many years. To understand how it could be completed for our situation we ended up with a UK Immigration Lawyer - which cost a fortune. Surprisingly he has no resources or contacts to help us find out whats happening. We called the UK Home Office and they just re-direct us to Singapore which is basically a contract agency that can't or won't tell you anything. Very frustrating and a great concern. My husband will be left here in Singapore without a passport and for anyone who lives there they know that you NEED your passport in Sing. So it arrives before October 30 (when we need to cancel his flight).
Old Oct 20th 2012, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Laowai, I know at least two US/UK families with young children who are so frightened of the scenario you and your family have found yourselves in that they have given up (at least for the present) on a long, fondly-held plan to return to family and friends in the UK. They're saving up their money but may not be able make the move for many years...if ever.
It's tragic. I feel for your family and my two friends' families and all the other families that are enduring this separation from family members they want to be near and a country they once called their "own" which is now preventing their repatriation.
Shame on them indeed!!!!!
I wonder, what is stopping anyone, from Moving to France, say, (or EEC) and then you would be entitled to come to the UK. - as an EU person/s?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.