Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

Originally Posted by nun
I'm single and, to be crass, rich so the current legislation would not affect me even if I was married to a non-EU citizen, but when the income or net worth of a UK citizen is the deciding factor on whether they can live with their immediate family in the UK I am affected because it makes me a little less proud of my country.
So crass! I prefer "comfortably-off."

Anyway a practical question. From the point of view of a comfortably-off person about to retire, let's say for the sake of argument not much in the way of defined benefit pensions or SS, has (say) one million dollars in savings, investments and retirement savings. Under the new regime of having to document quite a high income, how would one characterize the million dollars? At three percent return that would barely bring in nineteen thousand pounds per annum, at the current dollar/pound exchange rate..?
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:22 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

Originally Posted by formula
The NHS was set up in a different era and is not really fit for purpose now. There is nothing wrong with amending the system to move with the times i.e. the French have a far better health system than the UKs NHS.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...s-2327268.html
I agree about improving the system......but free at point of service and the funding from general taxation would not be things I would change
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
It seems to me that the elephant in the room is that most of the UK government's concern is over the number of people coming in from the Indian sub-continent (aka South Asia).
Are you suggesting that those from South Asia don't work when they reside in the UK? Many British Asians will be able to meet the new threshold to bring over their spouse. Nearly a quarter of my office are British Asians and all can easliy meet that new threshold. Just look at all the corner shops that are run by south Asian families who work long hours too.

Last edited by formula; Jun 12th 2012 at 3:36 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:32 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
So crass! I prefer "comfortably-off."

Anyway a practical question. From the point of view of a comfortably-off person about to retire, let's say for the sake of argument not much in the way of defined benefit pensions or SS, has (say) one million dollars in savings, investments and retirement savings. Under the new regime of having to document quite a high income, how would one characterize the million dollars? At three percent return that would barely bring in nineteen thousand pounds per annum, at the current dollar/pound exchange rate..?
Yeah, it's true a million dollars isn't what it used to be. However, it's more than you calculate by just applying a 3% return rate. I think you'd calculate the annuity value of that million dollars.....if you are a single male aged 65 you'd generate around 35k to 40k GBP a year. You have to include the spend down of your principal not just use the interest rate.

Last edited by nun; Jun 12th 2012 at 3:36 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:37 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Are you suggesting that those from South Asia don't work when they reside in the UK? Many British Asians will be able to meet the new threshold to bring over their spouse. Nearly a quarter of my office are British Asians and all can easliy meet that new threshold. Just look at all the corner shops that are run by south Asian families who work long hours too.
I didn't take that from it, rather that certain politicians and newspapers might think that. But the real issue is that UK citizens rights are being attacked and the Government is getting overly involved in our private lives.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I agree about improving the system......but free at point of service and the funding from general taxation would not be things I would change
The income tax received by government is now less than the welfare bill. That fact even scared the last (Labour) government when it appeared on their watch; hence why they started all the new schemes and cuts and gave the contracts to private companies. All being continued by this government. They (Labour) also talked about introducing a charge for each visit to the GP as the figures don't add up.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 5:27 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

The income tax received by government is now less than the welfare bill. That fact even scared the last (Labour) government when it appeared on their watch; hence why they started all the new schemes and cuts and gave the contracts to private companies. All being continued by this government. They (Labour) also talked about introducing a charge for each visit to the GP as the figures don't add up.
All true. I would not introduce a charge for each doctors visit I would spread the cost across everyone through taxation while looking to deliver care more efficiently. IMHO cost free access to a doctor is why the UK is healthier and spends half as much on healthcare as the US. There will be hypercondriacs who abuse the system, but they are far outweighed by the benefits of free access to a doctor.

Last edited by nun; Jun 12th 2012 at 5:29 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 8:19 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
All true. I would not introduce a charge for each doctors visit I would spread the cost across everyone through taxation while looking to deliver care more efficiently. IMHO cost free access to a doctor is why the UK is healthier and spends half as much on healthcare as the US. There will be hypercondriacs who abuse the system, but they are far outweighed by the benefits of free access to a doctor.
A set charge per Dr visit is not a fair tax. Those who are less well off will be paying a larger % of their income for each Dr visit and those who have any on going illness and need more frequent follow ups will be punished for being sick
How American of you.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 8:31 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
A set charge per Dr visit is not a fair tax. Those who are less well off will be paying a larger % of their income for each Dr visit and those who have any on going illness and need more frequent follow ups will be punished for being sick
How American of you.
I agree with! you! Individual charges to see the doctor are a tax on the sick, which I think is unfair. Therefore, the NHS should continue to be entirely funded from general taxation and free at the point of service.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 11:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That's just what I and others thought of you when we read your post stating that it was damm right that you expected others to pay for your foreign wife's heathcare when you retired to the UK.

Now that's not true and you know it. I answered that when you came out with that lie last time. I'm not returning with my wife. She's not well enough for travel.

Certainly nobody here posted that it summed me up.

Here's what you said:

Wasn't it you that said something along the lines - that it is damm right that you expect to up and retire to the UK with your foreign national wife and both be given free NHS (and welfare like bus passes, winter fuel, care homes etc). How is that not being a burden to the UK?
I responded

No I don't think I did say that. I certainly would though.

But that's not being a burden. That's a right that Brits won and have.
But you probably don't see the difference; everything with you is about money, burdens and selfishness.

My commonwealth wife's husband is looked after in her country and so should my wife be looked after if the situation were reversed. It's what civilised countries do.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jun 12th 2012 at 11:56 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

And yet Britain is wealthier than ever before. Hmm, what a mystery it is.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Yeah, it's true a million dollars isn't what it used to be. However, it's more than you calculate by just applying a 3% return rate. I think you'd calculate the annuity value of that million dollars.....if you are a single male aged 65 you'd generate around 35k to 40k GBP a year. You have to include the spend down of your principal not just use the interest rate.
I wonder whether these regulations are going to force retired people to buy an annuity to "prove" income or simply allow an actuarial calculation?
Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The NHS was set up in a different era and is not really fit for purpose now. There is nothing wrong with amending the system to move with the times i.e. the French have a far better health system than the UKs NHS.
I like the French model for healthcare, but let's not forget that France spends a significantly higher percentage of its GDP on healthcare than does Britain.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I like the French model for healthcare, but let's not forget that France spends a significantly higher percentage of its GDP on healthcare than does Britain.
The British couldn't afford it. They are too committed to low taxes despite seeing the crushing results of it all around them.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Deb568

This is already the case. You just have to move, with your non EU spouse and family, to another EEA country first - any one will do except for Romania and Bulgaria - rent a place, work or be self employed, and wait a year or so, then get an EEA family permit, along the lines of you plan to move back to the UK. The UK cannot delay granting this unreasonably. You arrive back in the UK, with your non EU spouse in tow, who should apply for a residence card immediately. There are no income checks, nor requirements on either party to work. The British spouse is entitled to claim the full range of benefits from the day they arrive.
Isn't that a big risk with all that is going on with the Euro problems and with Germany trying again to raid money from London to get the UK to prop up their mistakes with the Euro?

After that 1 year in another EEA country that you spoke about, you would need another 6 years on the EU route EU route to get British citizenship.
1 year in an EEA country + 5 years on a permit in the UK + 1 year on PR = 7 years to be a British citizen.

Your 7 year route to citizenship would need a lot of fingers crossing to hope that the Euro doesn't go in that time: or that the UK doesn't leave the EU with all the trouble with Germany trying to raid UK money: and the continual economic problems with the Euro PIIGS countries.

Cameron has already made it very clear again that he will protect Britain. This PM is not Tony (I'll sign anything you want but what's in it for me) Blair. British embassies in the eurozone have already been given instructions on how to evacuate British citizens back to the the UK.

With all this going in in the EEA, I would have thought it's a much safer route to enter the UK under UK immigration rules if your aim is UK citizenship.

Last edited by formula; Jun 13th 2012 at 8:53 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.