Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice
Default Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How caring of you.

That just about sums you up.
Worrying thing is they're only doing this legislation to crawl for votes so their polling must show them this attitude is the prevailing one.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

Originally Posted by calliope
I've been looking at this and it's going to get challenged for sure. UN human rights say you have a right to return to your homeland and not be put into exile and I don't see how the British government can subscribe to these principles while making their own citizens get divorced if they want to return.
I expect that it will be challenged too. A previous change that was challenged (age for partner visas being increased from 18 to 21) took something like 3 years before it was overturned, so don't expect a quick turnaround for any challenge to work.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 7:42 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Worrying thing is they're only doing this legislation to crawl for votes so their polling must show them this attitude is the prevailing one.
I agree, the "stop all migrants at any cost" mentality does seem to be thriving.

I would be a liar if I didn't think Britain needs to do something to reduce its number of migrants, but to ban long-term Commonwealth spouses of genuine British-born citizens would be very extreme.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 8:23 am
Just Joined

treo is an unknown quantity at this point

Having read this I feel sorry for those wishing to return. But I do think some havent understood this correctly when children are mentioned. It talks about SPONSORING children. If you are British and have a none EU wife, your children are automaticlly British by decent and so don't need sponsoring. Don't these children have the right to live in the UK anyway if you get them British passports?

I think this section of the law is about people who have married somebody and taken on the foreign kids of the new spouse.

Happy to be corrected though!
Old Jun 12th 2012, 8:24 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You're right.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How caring of you.

That just about sums you up.
That's just what I and others thought of you when we read your post stating that it was damm right that you expected others to pay for your foreign wife's heathcare when you retired to the UK.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

It was part of their manifesto along with the welfare reforms as part of their 'being fairer to the UK taxpayers'. The large number of Brits abusing the systems too, hasn't helped.

When the government got into power, they ran a website asking what the public wanted to be changed. It made very interesting reading. I didn't even know that half of those abuses were going on!

There are still discussions' going on on forums now about how the UK should adopt other EU countries welfare two tier payment systems and healthcare payment systems. It was interesting to see that the government have mentioned the drain on the NHS by retired foreign nationals moving to the UK and needing free heathcare.

The "I'm British so you should pay for me/my family" is not going down well here. However, I do appreciate that many Brits aren't like that at all. It's those selfish few that were becoming too many, that have spoilt it for others.

Last edited by formula; Jun 12th 2012 at 9:28 am.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:46 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

It seems to me that the elephant in the room is that most of the UK government's concern is over the number of people coming in from the Indian sub-continent (aka South Asia). In addition, the growing numbers coming in as refugees/asylum seekers from such countries as Somalia who apply to bring in their extended families (in many cases with little English and poor/non-existent skills).

They just don't want to be accused of racism against non-caucasians (non-whites) so they're applying the new rules to all citizens of non-EU countries.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...r-5-years.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...d-Britain.html

I didn't even realise that one could apply to bring in cousins, uncles and aunts to settle in the UK! I'm glad this is going to cease, they're surely not 'immediate' family members.

Last edited by Englishmum; Jun 12th 2012 at 12:52 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:26 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
I
There are still discussions' going on on forums now about how the UK should adopt other EU countries welfare two tier payment systems and healthcare payment systems. It was interesting to see that the government have mentioned the drain on the NHS by retired foreign nationals moving to the UK and needing free heathcare.

The "I'm British so you should pay for me/my family" is not going down well here. However, I do appreciate that many Brits aren't like that at all. It's those selfish few that were becoming too many, that have spoilt it for others.
Attacks on services and benefits because of vague and unspecified abuses by a minority are a tactic to make the general reduction in benefits acceptable.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:29 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

They just don't want to be accused of racism against non-caucasians (non-whites) so they're applying the new rules to all citizens of non-EU countries.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...r-5-years.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...d-Britain.html

I didn't even realise that one could apply to bring in cousins, uncles and aunts to settle in the UK! I'm glad this is going to cease, they're surely not 'immediate' family members.
There is definitely a racist element to all this, but I could support legislation that simply limited immigration to immediate family members.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:38 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

That's just what I and others thought of you when we read your post stating that it was damm right that you expected others to pay for your foreign wife's heathcare when you retired to the UK.
If she becomes a legitimate citizen of the UK, she should not be treated differently to another citizen. Regardless of her race.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by treo
Having read this I feel sorry for those wishing to return. But I do think some havent understood this correctly when children are mentioned. It talks about SPONSORING children. If you are British and have a none EU wife, your children are automaticlly British by decent and so don't need sponsoring. Don't these children have the right to live in the UK anyway if you get them British passports?

I think this section of the law is about people who have married somebody and taken on the foreign kids of the new spouse.

Happy to be corrected though!
Not every one will pass on British citizenship though, those who have gotten it through decent themselves won't pass on citizenship unless their kids are born in the UK. Other wise a lot of faff is needed to be involved, such as living in the UK for a period of time.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:23 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

If she becomes a legitimate citizen of the UK, she should not be treated differently to another citizen. Regardless of her race.
NHS is free at point of service to all residents, that is the core of the NHS. Having treatment tied to the tax you pay or your ability to pay is exactly the situation the NHS was set up to eliminate.

Again we have the Mail-like exaggeration of abuse as an excuse to chip away at social benefits. I object to May's legislation on two grounds;

I don't like Government legislation the gets involved in my love life and puts barriers on a UK citizen living in his/her country of birth because of who they fall in love with and marry. This is a truly conservative view.

I don't like legislation that creates classes of UK residents that the benefits system treats differently as it's then easier to create further classes of residents and reduce benefits. Means testing of the NHS and state pension then become's acceptable. Then people who don't get the benefit will lobby not to pay the tax which reduces the funding of the system so the benefits have to be further cut. We must fight for access and levels of benefits to be maintained. Once it becomes acceptable to cut someone else's benefits, yours will be next.

I'm single and, to be crass, rich so the current legislation would not affect me even if I was married to a non-EU citizen, but when the income or net worth of a UK citizen is the deciding factor on whether they can live with their immediate family in the UK I am affected because it makes me a little less proud of my country.

Last edited by nun; Jun 12th 2012 at 2:44 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nun
Attacks on services and benefits because of vague and unspecified abuses by a minority are a tactic to make the general reduction in benefits acceptable.
The new benefits and rules we have had over the last decade are the ones that have caused people to be in a poverty trap. Those forced wages down and pushed up the cost of housing and childcare. People became stuck on welfare.

The new benefit rules will be much better for those that want to work and support their family and a nightmare for those that don't.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nun
NHS is free at point of service to all residents, that is the core of the NHS. Having treatment tied to the tax you pay or your ability to pay is exactly the situation the NHS was set up to eliminate.
The NHS was set up in a different era and is not really fit for purpose now. There is nothing wrong with amending the system to move with the times i.e. the French have a far better health system than the UKs NHS.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...s-2327268.html

Last edited by formula; Jun 12th 2012 at 3:14 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.