Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Apr 6th 2012, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
Originally Posted by roaringmouse
You can request that the visa is post-dated by up to 3 months from the decision date, if that helps at all. So for example, if the decision to grant the visa is made on 10th April, the valid from date would be 10th July (the earliest the visa holder can enter the UK on that visa).
Why bother? If you are applying for ILE based on 4 years of marriage then you have 27 months to take the KOL anyway and you can do that when visiting
It was just something thrown in the mix to be considered, as quite a few people don't seem to be aware of the possibility of post-dating their visa. Also may be of help to other people reading the board.

My wife's ILE was post-dated by 3 months as we didn't intend to enter the UK until about 6 months after we completed the application form - not entirely necessary in our case but could help others, particularly those who would get a 27 month visa (with or without KOL Req endorsement).
Originally Posted by jp2e
how long is the visa valid for? and can you get an extension if for some reason you can't get there in time or do you have to re-apply?
Depends on which you're eligible for. If it's a normal spouse visa, including one with the KOL Req endorsement, then it's valid for 27 months. With the KOL Req endorsement it is possible apply for ILR at any time before the 27 months is up once the Life in the UK test is passed - whereas normally you can only apply for ILR from 28 days before your 2 year anniversary of arriving in the UK with the visa. If you're unaware of the KOL Req endorsement, it means you've passed the 4+ years of being married & living outside the UK but haven't passed the Life in the UK test - if this matches your situation, then request the KOL Req endorsement in a cover letter.

If it's ILE (i.e. the applicant has passed the Life in the UK Test, and you've been married & living outside the UK for 4+ years) then it's indefinite (although they do put a valid until date on it which matches the expiry date of the passport).

Last edited by roaringmouse; Apr 6th 2012 at 6:17 am.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

manny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nice
Default Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
It was just something thrown in the mix to be considered, as quite a few people don't seem to be aware of the possibility of post-dating their visa. Also may be of help to other people reading the board.

My wife's ILE was post-dated by 3 months as we didn't intend to enter the UK until about 6 months after we completed the application form - not entirely necessary in our case but could help others, particularly those who would get a 27 month visa (with or without KOL Req endorsement).

Depends on which you're eligible for. If it's a normal spouse visa, including one with the KOL Req endorsement, then it's valid for 27 months. With the KOL Req endorsement it is possible apply for ILR at any time before the 27 months is up once the Life in the UK test is passed - whereas normally you can only apply for ILR from 28 days before your 2 year anniversary of arriving in the UK with the visa. If you're unaware of the KOL Req endorsement, it means you've passed the 4+ years of being married & living outside the UK but haven't passed the Life in the UK test - if this matches your situation, then request the KOL Req endorsement in a cover letter.

If it's ILE (i.e. the applicant has passed the Life in the UK Test, and you've been married & living outside the UK for 4+ years) then it's indefinite (although they do put a valid until date on it which matches the expiry date of the passport).

That is true under the current rules...the Govt is however considering removing the KOL option where it does not matter how long is a couple married for...they will most likely be issued a spouse entrance visa for 5 years before they can apply for ILR. Whether this happens or not is still to be seen...
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
I wonder if net proceeds from Aussie house sale will be adequate savings?
That brings us back to the other issue in this. If such proceeds mean one can buy a home with little or no mortgage, one obviously doesn't need a higher income.

Clearly some people will meet the income requirement but after rent or mortgage, they'll have less money to support themselves than others would on lower incomes but no rent/mortgage.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 10:47 pm
b2b
Just Joined

b2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
These are "people of your own" British citizens with long standing marriages and British citizen children who want to move to UK Not random foreigners.
Yes I was a bit short sighted there. I read such cases after my post and could easily imagine the frustration of this under such circumstances. Perhaps the government should consider some kind of alternatives where at least one of the family is a British citizen. For example family/friend sponsorship, as they have in Canada.

I'm sure the government would love people to come and earn 50 grand a year, but that does seem a bit over the top for people with some kind of roots in UK, and although costs have no doubt risen, I'm sure there are plenty surviving reasonably without being a burden on the tax payer and earning far less.

I am pleased, however, that at last the UK are taking steps to avoid cases where a new immigrant individual or family has no hope of supporting themselves, providing a catalyst for Daily Mail journalists to spew their opinions about such matters to the "not in our back yard" brigade.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

just_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to all

I think another big issue is that it's an employer's market. People are so damn happy to just have a job that they'll put up with lower than normal wages, no or insignificant pay rises etc. This seems to be endemic in my area--making it even less likely that I'd be able to obtain the kind of salaries the gov't is bandying around.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Aliland is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a minimum for uk ex-pat bringing a foreign husband and kids back if they are from within the EU?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aliland
Is there a minimum for uk ex-pat bringing a foreign husband and kids back if they are from within the EU?
If they're EU citizens, they can move freely...it's one of the benefits of the EU.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 12:53 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

When do the new rules come into effect? I thought it was this month... have they even been finalised yet?
Old Apr 21st 2012, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
When do the new rules come into effect? I thought it was this month... have they even been finalised yet?
No Statement of Change yet.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Eabie has a spectacular aura aboutEabie has a spectacular aura aboutEabie has a spectacular aura about

This is perhaps a stupid question.... but I'm currently here on a 27-month spousal visa and have lived here about a year. My partner and I have been discussing the possibility of moving back to Canada for various reasons not especially pertinent to this thread. In any case, what I'm wondering is - will the changes apply to me? Will I have to get an extension on my 27-month visa in order to remain in the UK and apply for ILR in 4 more years, or will I still be able to apply for ILR next year? This could be the deciding factor in whether we stay in the UK, or whether my partner moves with me back to Canada.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Eabie
This is perhaps a stupid question.... but I'm currently here on a 27-month spousal visa and have lived here about a year. My partner and I have been discussing the possibility of moving back to Canada for various reasons not especially pertinent to this thread. In any case, what I'm wondering is - will the changes apply to me? Will I have to get an extension on my 27-month visa in order to remain in the UK and apply for ILR in 4 more years, or will I still be able to apply for ILR next year? This could be the deciding factor in whether we stay in the UK, or whether my partner moves with me back to Canada.
Nobody knows this yet, the changes haven't been made. Hopefully those already in the UK on a 27-month visa will still be able to apply for ILR after 2 years, but we'll have to wait and see.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 11:47 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Eabie
If you move back to Canada you will have to reapply and the new rules will apply, could you wait till you get B Cit then go?
Old May 2nd 2012, 11:12 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I sent an email to my MP expressing my concern about these proposals. They don't affect me personally, but I'm concerned by some of the comments on this thread. It's parents with children and elderly couples who seem to be worst affected, since both are at stages of their lives when income may be below the limits proposed, but still above the average for British families of their type.

My MP Karen Bradley has replied. She agrees with my concern about couples with children and is raising the issue with the Immigration Minister and the Home Secretary.

If anyone else on the forum is a registered overseas voter, I suggest they also write a letter. The proposals are not set in stone yet.
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:02 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I sent an email to my MP expressing my concern about these proposals. They don't affect me personally, but I'm concerned by some of the comments on this thread. It's parents with children and elderly couples who seem to be worst affected, since both are at stages of their lives when income may be below the limits proposed, but still above the average for British families of their type.

My MP Karen Bradley has replied. She agrees with my concern about couples with children and is raising the issue with the Immigration Minister and the Home Secretary.

If anyone else on the forum is a registered overseas voter, I suggest they also write a letter. The proposals are not set in stone yet.
Excellent, good for you. Thank you!
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Editha

Agreed - I've written to the MP where I'm registered and have got my parents to do the same (and thank you for writing too)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.