Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

In fact, it seems to me that retirees coming back to live in the UK are a great boost to the economy, since we'll be buying a house, consuming & paying VAT etc., as well as all other taxes and duties. All paid for from pensions, savings and social security sourced abroad.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

Originally Posted by robin1234
In fact, it seems to me that retirees coming back to live in the UK are a great boost to the economy, since we'll be buying a house, consuming & paying VAT etc., as well as all other taxes and duties. All paid for from pensions, savings and social security sourced abroad.
Canada used to have a "retirement class" specifically to attract people to retire to canada, briging in money.

Then they figured out that the health care and social costs of caring for an elderly demographic were way more that the economic benefits brought in.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Canada used to have a "retirement class" specifically to attract people to retire to canada, briging in money.

Then they figured out that the health care and social costs of caring for an elderly demographic were way more that the economic benefits brought in.
I'll agree, I concede that. A couple of people I know here (we're just across the border from Canada) investigated retiring to Canada and realised they couldn't.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Wasn't it you that said something along the lines - that it is damm right that you expect to up and retire to the UK with your foreign national wife and both be given free NHS (and welfare like bus passes, winter fuel, care homes etc). How is that not being a burden to the UK?
No I don't think I did say that. I certainly would though.

But that's not being a burden. That's a right that Brits won and have.

But that's really NOT the point in the inconsistency I mentioned as you well know.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...because the last government (Blair) opened the immigration door wide with easy routes to the UK for virtually everyone..... The things Blair did just to import more labour voters.
Now you're being silly.

Putting aside that wide open doors would let voters of all shades through, not just labour voters, wouldn't this new plan be even more "tainted" than the deviousness you suggest in that the lower income folk would be excluded while richer (Conservative) types would be welcomed?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It would be a burden if the UK citizen wasn't paying taxes.

Interesting to see that on immigration (to the UK) forums, some non-EUs will get visas to the Uk and then work 2 or 3 jobs to get enough money to stay here and bring over their non-EU family. Why don't Brits want to do that for their non-EU partners?
Prey tell, how someone does not pay taxes?

Like I said, unless they live like a hermit in a commune, every time they buy something, food, petrol for the car etc, they pay tax to cover their NHS/education burden.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:01 pm
Oscar nominated

Here's a fairly typical situation:

Brit Spouse - pension entiltlement £100 pw or £5000 pa (perhaps even less)

Foreign Spouse - income £200 pw or £10000 pa.

Total income £300 pw or £15000 pa.

As a couple they have no need nor entitlement to benefits. But they can't both be in the UK because the income levels are too low to qualify.

They probably own housing where they are at the moment. But instead of selling it and bringing pots of cash to the UK to make their situation even better, the partner who can't come stays in that home. Assuming they want a roof over their head. After all, they don't want to lose their spouse and get rained on.

But the Brit can come. And receive everything going because his/her income is below benefit levels. Thus more benefits are actually paid because of the very rule intended to save benefits.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:06 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I'm appalled by May's proposal.

I'm not affected by it, but only "by the Grace of God". I'm a British citizen, but my husband is a Canadian. Fortunately he took out British citizenship when he was living in the UK.

If he wasn't a British citizen, we'd now have to re-consider our retirement to the UK, because our initial income when we retire will be below the 25,700 limit for the first couple of years.

We've already deferred returning to the UK for a couple of years because of the way our savings were affected by the financial downturn. It would have been a horrible blow
to have to defer it still further.

But we're lucky compared with many people. Young couples with children and pensioners are going to be the worst affected, as far as I can see. I think it is grossly unfair to prevent British people moving to the UK, with their foreign spouse, when their income is above average for their type of household.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

drhewitt is an unknown quantity at this point

All this rubbish about "tax payer burdens"

You're already burdened for life with Whitehall's debt, huge bonuses to senior civil servants, IT equipment that was never implemented, the illegal war in Iraq, the Quangos, tax payer bank bailouts - how much of an added "burden" would it be to have a couple get help with daycare if they are both productive workers and contribute to the community?

the income requirements are ridiculous, there's no way I'm going to get a job offer for 50 grand, though it won't stop me from trying!
Old Mar 27th 2012, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

No permission is need to marry a foreigner, EEA or otherwise.
Not true - non-EEA visitors to the UK intending on getting married need to obtain a visa, even if they have the intention of leaving the UK afterwards.

If it is just a visit to get married, then a visitor for marriage visa is required - if intending on living in the UK then a fiance(e) visa is required, followed by a spouse visa application.
The EEA citizens have the treaty right of free movement. Although it is quite interesting watching all the rumblings from the western EU countries, with Sarkozy now coming right out with it and saying that free movement of workers should be stopped and that we should just keep the free trade movements.
Sarkozy may be out of a job by the end of April.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

It would be a burden if the UK citizen wasn't paying taxes.
Why does it have to be the British citizen paying taxes - why not the non-EU spouse with a high income?

However, insisting on a 5-year probationary period for all spouses, rather than the current 2 (or immediate ILE) will discourage a lot of meaningful employment for the non-EU spouse due to their temporary residency.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

While I may have some concerns over the concept of restricting a citizens rights to marry based on their income it's the removal of preferential treatment for returning citizens who are in a long standing marriage which is for me the most disgraceful twist in this.

For any of you who read or even took part in the consultation you will see that it was very misleading / leading - particularly in regards to "our" situation. (OK so that's an opinion ) [http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...ly-migration/]

I will be writing to an MP who is the nearest thing to "our MP" which we have. I'd urge each of you who is still on the electoral roll and/or has family on the roll to do likewise. At least real citizens abroad should be allowed to return home with their families.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 3:47 am
Just Joined

scottydog357 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
While I may have some concerns over the concept of restricting a citizens rights to marry based on their income it's the removal of preferential treatment for returning citizens who are in a long standing marriage which is for me the most disgraceful twist in this.

For any of you who read or even took part in the consultation you will see that it was very misleading / leading - particularly in regards to "our" situation. (OK so that's an opinion ) [http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...ly-migration/]

I will be writing to an MP who is the nearest thing to "our MP" which we have. I'd urge each of you who is still on the electoral roll and/or has family on the roll to do likewise. At least real citizens abroad should be allowed to return home with their families.
I am in total agreeance. Planning on returning to the UK later this year with my Australian wife of seven years, and our daughter, herself a UK passport holder. This ruling would effectively rule me out coming home. This is partly due to the tough time I have been going through in Australia and my homesickness leading to depression. Alongside my family who all want to spend valuable time with my wife and little one (parents getting on in years) how can this be of any good to me and many others in a similar situation?

As for NHS and taxes, I worked for 20 years in the UK before emigrating. Never signed on, went to the docs when needed and private dental. I have contributed to the system, and would continue to do so if I return, alongside my wife who has been employed since leaving school, and is wishing to work if we move.

Yet I could potentially face the decision of living here with a worsening medical condition which can lead to severe symptoms, or splitting my family up over some political bull*&^%, which in turn could worsen how I feel.

Its a disgusting scenario, and if the problem is intake from the sub continent, then cap the intake from that area, do not punish UK citizens in long term marriages with children, just to keep the figures looking good.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

Older people cost more.

There are plenty of visas to countries, for those who are under 30. The earnings have to be much higher for those wanting visas and are over 30.

Last edited by formula; Mar 27th 2012 at 9:55 am.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Why does it have to be the British citizen paying taxes - why not the non-EU spouse with a high income?
A non-EEA earning a high income, will still be able to get into the UK under their own visa. There are new immigration catagories for these people as well as new visas for the gifted, plus the exisiting Tier2 (General).

That way, if their marriage breaks down while in the UK, they will be still be able to apply for settlement and become a citizen in their own right, without needing their UK spouse to OK their stay.

Last edited by formula; Mar 27th 2012 at 10:19 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.