Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Oct 12th 2012, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Originally Posted by brissybee
Um... I feel like sitting somewhere quiet and rocking backwards and forwards for a while...

Have been trying to get my head around the new immigration rules on the UK border agency site (and all the new ammendments to the new rules) and despite going backwards and forwards following links that don't go where you think they will, have still not managed to find an ammended and up to date comprehensive copy of the new immigration requirements for non eu spouses.

Does anyone PLEASE know where there is a copy of the new policy which includes all the ammendments just introduced in the past month?

Also, assuming a spouse visa is actually approved... how long after it is approved can someone remain in Australia before having to physically arrive in the UK? Anyone... PLEEESE? (That's a desperate please... )

I'm starting to wonder if the UKBA site isn't designed to deter people wanting to move back with foreign spouses!
I'm Positive that it is.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone PLEASE know where there is a copy of the new policy which includes all the ammendments just introduced in the past month?
Appendix FM on this page:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...igrationrules/

are the official rules. Don't think there have been any more changes since July but I've not been 100% on top of things so woudl be interested to be contradicted

Also - see the Statement of Intent (5th link on the right) which explains how this should be implemented with lots of very scary examples:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...mily-migration

Also, assuming a spouse visa is actually approved... how long after it is approved can someone remain in Australia before having to physically arrive in the UK? Anyone... PLEEESE? (That's a desperate please... )
Hmm - if you are planning on sponsoring via employment then the job offer has to start within 3 months of the application. Otherwsie I don't think there is anything in there BUT you will need to reapply 2.5 years after the visa starts and will need to have fulfilled the residency requirements for that (see the links above)
Old Oct 12th 2012, 8:50 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks englishguygoinghome... the following is a link I stumbled upon today regarding what I think are ammendments made to the new changes in the last few weeks... (change on change already?!).

These ammended changes seem to take effect this month and last.

There seem to be many little tweaks of wording which may not amount to much, but there are other paragraphs which to my cursory glance appear to slightly tighten some screws just that little bit more.

I did have my head around the original July version but cannot locate anything which incorporates these latest ammendments as a smooth reading document.

I'm probably going to have to call a $12 number to speak to someone (who probably isn't up to date on all the changes. )

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary

Last edited by brissybee; Oct 12th 2012 at 8:53 am.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Former Laowai is on a distinguished road

It's so hard to read all those amendments and cross reference with everything else... my head hurts
Old Oct 12th 2012, 11:39 am
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light
Angry Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

I had to call the 900 number - and talk really fast to get some answers before my credit card maxed out its 3 bucks a minute

after you get the visa they told me 24 months to use it.
wife -non eu - need 18k Pounds in the bank -dont matter what bank or where it is

add on non EU children and then it starts to get beyond the realm of normal people savings- you could end up needing over 60k

All our money was tied up in the house which of course has now vanished so its savings time.
and Im lucky- myself and kids have brit passports just the 1 Yank wife- I feel for someone who has foreign spouise AND kids

we really have been thrown under the bus by OUR government- i DO understand why they did it- newcomers claiming benefits and using the NHS without putting a penny in -I get that - for Inidia/pakistan arranged marriages and africans etc but what about all the eastern europeans thanks to the EU?

and should there not be a clause if you been married or more than a certain amount of years (15 for me) that the money thing dont count?
Old Oct 12th 2012, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't look like those changes are anything to do with the partner visa.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callowman
I had to call the 900 number - and talk really fast to get some answers before my credit card maxed out its 3 bucks a minute

after you get the visa they told me 24 months to use it.
wife -non eu - need 18k Pounds in the bank -dont matter what bank or where it is
Looks like you should be asking for a refund of the money. 18k is the earnings required; you need 16k in the bank PLUS 2.5 times the earnings shortfall - so 60k plus just for a wife. It needs to have been in cash in a bank for 6 months.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
Looks like you should be asking for a refund of the money. 18k is the earnings required; you need 16k in the bank PLUS 2.5 times the earnings shortfall - so 60k plus just for a wife. It needs to have been in cash in a bank for 6 months.
Another aspect, no one mentions, is that you have to PROVE, you have actually been 'cohabiting' all that time. _ So you guys, need to switch your camera, so that it records the date, on each shot, and you also need to be in the shots ''together''.

Perhaps, get a camera installed over the bed!!!

We have slipped up, in that regard. Only shots we have of us ''together'' was at our Wedding ceremony, and on my Birthday (in Thailand). -- as seen in my Avatar. Don
Old Oct 12th 2012, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Another aspect, no one mentions, is that you have to PROVE, you have actually been 'cohabiting' all that time. _ So you guys, need to switch your camera, so that it records the date, on each shot, and you also need to be in the shots ''together''.
Dates on most cameras "prove" nothing given most allow you to set the current date to almost anything you like.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Don, I don't think you HAVE to have been cohabiting for the last 6 months, in fact (if you're relying on proof of minimum 6 months work in the UK earning 18,600 pa) this would only be possible if your partner was in the UK on a visitor visa.
S/he would then need to return to their home country before applying to re-enter as a spouse.
It's still a good point to make though because, although I have stacks of pictures of my wife and boys together, almost none include me since I'm always the one behind the camera!
This is a fairly rare one and was taken the night before my wife had to leave the UK...
Sigh, we all miss her so much

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Oct 12th 2012, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Um... I feel like sitting somewhere quiet and rocking backwards and forwards for a while...

Have been trying to get my head around the new immigration rules on the UK border agency site (and all the new ammendments to the new rules) and despite going backwards and forwards following links that don't go where you think they will, have still not managed to find an ammended and up to date comprehensive copy of the new immigration requirements for non eu spouses.

I'm starting to wonder if the UKBA site isn't designed to deter people wanting to move back with foreign spouses!
Regarding your second question, from what I've read elsewhere you have three months to move over after the visa issue date. BUT I also have read that you can request a delayed start and I *think* the delay is up to three months. So in other words if you applied today and requested a visa start date of January 12, 2013 then you'd then have until April 12, 2013 to move before the visa expires. But I am not 100% sure of that. Maybe someone else with more solid info can confirm or correct??

EDIT: Oops sorry I didn't see the additional page of replies. Ignore me
Old Oct 12th 2012, 4:55 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

Would be nice If we could get someone on here from UK borders to give us the rules from the horses mouth but if they did that they wouldnt be making 3 bucks a minute

and for me according to my call with the 900# my wife (perm disabled) has guarenteed income that we can live off comfortably and so she or I do not have to work and Im still confused
Old Oct 12th 2012, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Callowman you're right to want info from the UKBA horses mouth since it's clear that they have their own guidelines which are not actually written anywhere on the UKBA website and/or in law.
I mentioned this earlier regards how often spouses are allowed to "visit". It's not clarified anywhere however UKBA staff apply their own rule that you can't visit again within 6 months of a previous visit
Old Oct 12th 2012, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Laowai
Callowman you're right to want info from the UKBA horses mouth since it's clear that they have their own guidelines which are not actually written anywhere on the UKBA website and/or in law.
I mentioned this earlier regards how often spouses are allowed to "visit". It's not clarified anywhere however UKBA staff apply their own rule that you can't visit again within 6 months of a previous visit
Internal guidance notes can be found on the UKBA website here.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Internal guidance notes can be found on the UKBA website here.
Thanks RM, this is very useful.

The family visit issue though remains a grey area open to interpretation:

"It is reasonable, however, for the ECO to consider the stated purpose of the visit in the light of the length of time that has elapsed since previous visits. A visitor should not, for example, normally spend more that 6 out of any 12 months in the UK (but see guidance relating to visitors for private medical treatment).

My argument is that most normal people would normally want to visit their partner and kids more than 6 months out of every 12.

Those who do not earn enough money to sponsor a spouse are denied from doing so on financial grounds. Even though you might well be able to support your partner on say 15k, you're not given the chance because there's still a danger that your money might be insufficient so you might end up needing benefits of some kind (public funds). Spouse visa applicants cannot waive their right to public funds and sign a document promising never to spend a penny of UK taxpayers money, because that would be a breach of their human rights.

Hmm, OK, fair enough I suppose, EXCEPT that visitors do not have recourse to public funds, but instead have to be sponsored financially for the max 6 months of their stay.

So, provided the sponsor (which can be other family members by the way) can cover the cost of the visit, why can't a spouse visit as often as they like?

It's because the UKBA staff consider this to be "not normal". Not normal to want to spend as much time as possible with your family???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.