Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Jun 15th 2012, 4:26 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Theresa May introduces her Statement of Intent to Parliament

Originally Posted by formula
I'm not sure that this will be debated again in Parliament. This has already been done and there was very little opposition.
I fear this is true. From the UKBA website's 'Latest News' section:

Today (13 June 2012) rules have been laid in Parliament which will bring these changes into effect, along with an impact assessment, a policy equality statement and a statement on the compatibility of the rules with Article 8.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...mily-migration
Old Jun 16th 2012, 5:46 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Pl...:56:33.3070000

This is the video from Monday, June 11, wherein Theresa May introduces her bill.

I would urge anyone who has an interest in Advocacy to please watch this video. The Statement goes into debate in Parliament on Tuesday. If you are moved to write your MP, please do so before Friday. You can also email the Shadow Immigration Minister, Chris Bryant at [email protected].

If you are a British citizen living abroad with a non-EEA spouse, and you ever intended to move back home, this legislation affects you.
I have just written to Mr Bryant ........ for what it is worth.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 8:03 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping this because questions are starting to arise in the forum from people who apparently are unaware of the changes.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Deb568 has a spectacular aura aboutDeb568 has a spectacular aura aboutDeb568 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

Originally Posted by formula
Isn't that a big risk with all that is going on with the Euro problems and with Germany trying again to raid money from London to get the UK to prop up their mistakes with the Euro?

After that 1 year in another EEA country that you spoke about, you would need another 6 years on the EU route EU route to get British citizenship.
1 year in an EEA country + 5 years on a permit in the UK + 1 year on PR = 7 years to be a British citizen.

Your 7 year route to citizenship would need a lot of fingers crossing to hope that the Euro doesn't go in that time: or that the UK doesn't leave the EU with all the trouble with Germany trying to raid UK money: and the continual economic problems with the Euro PIIGS countries.

Cameron has already made it very clear again that he will protect Britain. This PM is not Tony (I'll sign anything you want but what's in it for me) Blair. British embassies in the eurozone have already been given instructions on how to evacuate British citizens back to the the UK.

With all this going in in the EEA, I would have thought it's a much safer route to enter the UK under UK immigration rules if your aim is UK citizenship.
But is the aim citizenship for the foreign spouse? Quite possibly it isn't , especially if they come from a country which doesn't allow dual citizenship and whose citizenship they don't want to give up. The States for example? Might have changed by now.

The aim is to come back to Britain, with your foreign born spouse, be able to claim benefits for that spouse if you need to, and not be restricted by income or asset checks. The spouse would come in on an EEA family permit and get a residence card on arrival. So he/she is now a permanent resident. That is indefinite leave to remain. The British born person can then claim benefits, if needed, for all his/her family.

I wouldn't be so against these restrictions on British citizens returning directly to Britain, if they applied across the board. But why should British citizens be restricted according to their income when every other member of the EEA can waltz over here, foreign spouse in tow, and claim benefits from day one?
Old Jun 17th 2012, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Deb568 has a spectacular aura aboutDeb568 has a spectacular aura aboutDeb568 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

Originally Posted by nun
I didn't take that from it, rather that certain politicians and newspapers might think that. But the real issue is that UK citizens rights are being attacked and the Government is getting overly involved in our private lives.
+1
Old Jun 17th 2012, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
The EEA route is 6 months in an EEA country, and under current rules a person married to a British citizen only needs to be a permanent resident on the day they apply (no 1 year minimum). So that timeline would look more like:
6 months in EEA country + 5 years on permit in UK + 1 day on PR = 5½ years or thereabouts.

Of course, the citizenship requirements for spouses of a British citizen could be changed to match everyone else in due course - particularly as the new rules for spouse visas mean 5 years before you can get ILR.
It's not 5 years on an EEA family permit. The family permit merely enables them to enter the country without restrictions. They then apply for a residence card on the day they arrive. The arrive as a permanent resident, with ILR. They get the equivalent of a settlement visa from day one - that's the residence card. And it cannot be unreasonably withheld or delayed by the Home Office, i.e. as per European Commission rules.

To get full access to our benefits system, they don't need to be a citizen.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deb568
But is the aim citizenship for the foreign spouse? Quite possibly it isn't , especially if they come from a country which doesn't allow dual citizenship and whose citizenship they don't want to give up. The States for example? Might have changed by now.
US citizens are able to have dual citizenship.
It's not 5 years on an EEA family permit. The family permit merely enables them to enter the country without restrictions. They then apply for a residence card on the day they arrive.
The residence card is to enable the person to re-enter the UK without applying again for a family permit, and to avoid potential inconvenience in showing proof of right to live and work in the UK. It is not compulsory for a family member of an EEA national to obtain a residence card - reference.
The arrive as a permanent resident, with ILR. They get the equivalent of a settlement visa from day one - that's the residence card. And it cannot be unreasonably withheld or delayed by the Home Office, i.e. as per European Commission rules.
The family permit is the equivalent of a settlement visa, yes. However they do not have permanent residence status until they have exercised EEA free movement rights in the UK for a continuous 5 year period. At which point they can, if they choose, apply for naturalisation.
To get full access to our benefits system, they don't need to be a citizen.
I made no reference to the benefits system.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping this because questions are starting to arise in the forum from people who apparently are unaware of the changes.
Wait until next month and for a while after when people who haven't kept up start to find out their plans may no longer work.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 3:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Two threads merged as some info is in one but not the other,
I've adapted the title slightly and made it a sticky thread

Last edited by Pollyana; Jun 18th 2012 at 6:01 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

just_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to all

So I was just reading this: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...mily-migration

and this jumped out at me: introducing a new minimum income threshold of £18,600 for sponsoring the settlement in the UK of a spouse or partner, or fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of non-European Economic Area (EEA) nationality, with a higher threshold for any children also sponsored; £22,400 for one child and an additional £2,400 for each further child;

Could this be a potential loophole? For example, in my own situation I'm a UK Cit, born to brit parents in the UK so my son was automatically eligible for a passport. I didn't have to sponsor my son for a UK visa (he entered the UK with me on his UK passport), only my husband. DH already has his visa but I'm curious.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by just_jenn
So I was just reading this: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...mily-migration

and this jumped out at me: introducing a new minimum income threshold of £18,600 for sponsoring the settlement in the UK of a spouse or partner, or fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of non-European Economic Area (EEA) nationality, with a higher threshold for any children also sponsored; £22,400 for one child and an additional £2,400 for each further child;

Could this be a potential loophole? For example, in my own situation I'm a UK Cit, born to brit parents in the UK so my son was automatically eligible for a passport. I didn't have to sponsor my son for a UK visa (he entered the UK with me on his UK passport), only my husband. DH already has his visa but I'm curious.
Not a loophole but a specficially chosen implementation - they actually give an example and clearl state that BC children are not considered when doing the calculation
Old Jun 18th 2012, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

Here's a link some may find useful:

http://www.jcwi.org.uk/policy/united...ed-theresa-may

There's an email address for Labour's Chris Bryant the Shadow immigration Minister. Not sure if he'll reply but I'm contacting him and various Labour addresses to see what their policy is in opposing it or pledging to overturn it.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

Just found this in the government document, it may be useful to some:

i.
Where the sponsor is returning to the UK with the applicant having lived and/or worked abroad, the same financial requirement will have to be met: a minimum gross annual income of £18,600 (or the relevant higher figure where a child or children are also being sponsored). There is no reason why those who have lived and/or worked abroad should get a better deal than sponsors residing, and paying tax, in the UK. However, there will be the flexibility at (j) for sponsors working overseas and returning to work in the UK which enables them some scope to do so without having to leave their partner overseas.

j.
Where the sponsor has been working overseas and is returning to work in the UK, there will be scope for them to count a firm, verifiable job offer or signed contract of employment to start work within three months of their return at a salary at the level required to meet the financial requirement. They must also demonstrate that either they are in employment overseas at the required salary level at the point of application and have been so continuously for at least the previous six months or they have earned the required amount through salaried employment in the 12 months prior to the application.'
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egon
Just found this in the government document, it may be useful to some:

i.
Where the sponsor is returning to the UK with the applicant having lived and/or worked abroad, the same financial requirement will have to be met: a minimum gross annual income of £18,600 (or the relevant higher figure where a child or children are also being sponsored). There is no reason why those who have lived and/or worked abroad should get a better deal than sponsors residing, and paying tax, in the UK. However, there will be the flexibility at (j) for sponsors working overseas and returning to work in the UK which enables them some scope to do so without having to leave their partner overseas.

j.
Where the sponsor has been working overseas and is returning to work in the UK, there will be scope for them to count a firm, verifiable job offer or signed contract of employment to start work within three months of their return at a salary at the level required to meet the financial requirement. They must also demonstrate that either they are in employment overseas at the required salary level at the point of application and have been so continuously for at least the previous six months or they have earned the required amount through salaried employment in the 12 months prior to the application.'
I dont see any provision for fairly substantial cash amounts in these guidlines. What happens if one has more than the 5 years qualifying period in Cash ?
Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I dont see any provision for fairly substantial cash amounts in these guidlines. What happens if one has more than the 5 years qualifying period in Cash ?
Yes, your savings can substitute in whole or part for lack of annual income. If no income, I think (from memory) you need to show 62,500 pounds in savings. It is all laid out in the document, sorry I can't remember the page number but it is all mentioned earlier in this thread....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.