Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Jun 10th 2012, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

Originally Posted by brissybee
It certainly screws my plans.
When were you planning on moving to the UK?
Old Jun 10th 2012, 5:39 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
When were you planning on moving to the UK?
Start of 2014 was the plan.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Start of 2014 was the plan.
Not looking good then. Start of 2013 you could do under current rules, but not much later than that.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Whats the rules on your long term partners getting UK passports, especially considering their kids are automatically UK citiziens ?

I was considering spending about 4/5months of the year, each year if possible on retirement in the UK does this ruling affect that option ?.... Well Europe somewhere at least. ?

My knee jerk reaction at present, and I've only seen this news for 30 mins, is to try and renounce. UK citizenship..... Stuff erm. I'll probably get over that though. Cheeky buggers having a dig at my Wife.

They're probably doing you a hidden favour Brissy

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 10th 2012 at 6:19 am.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 6:21 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Whats the rules on your long term partners getting UK passports, especially considering their kids are automatically UK citiziens ?

I was considering spending about 4/5months of the year, each year if possible on retirement in the UK does this ruling affect that option ?.... Well Europe somewhere at least. ?

My knee jerk reaction at present, and I've only seen this news for 30 mins, is to try and renounce. UK citizenship..... Stuff erm. I'll probably get over that though. Cheeky buggers having a dig at my Wife.

They're probably doing you a hidden favour Brissy
But I don't want to get divorced.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

But I don't want to get divorced.
LOL.... I meant having to stay with your partner in Aus.

I'm confused, I think it comes down to the individual circumstances upon reflection. Are they going to take my Australian Assets into account.... If so I probably wont have a problem. You probably wont either if it's based on your current assets ?

For instance....The Aus Pension isnt that far short of 25K for a couple. I think that would be payable in the UK.

Best prepare your ole man to become a UK citizen, then you wont have to worry about this crap.

Have fun doing that

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 10th 2012 at 6:28 am.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

At current rates the Aus Pension pays 18,900 pounds plus for a couple. So you would only have to find 8K maximum out of your private super.

So not anywhere near as bad as first reads. Most Aus retirement couples can find that.... Easiest way out is to have your partner take out UK citizenship and negate these rules.

If you think about it, you wouldnt want to live in the UK on anything less than 25K.... otherwise you'd be taking a major hit in living standards.

I'm pretty miffed about the attack on my wifes and I status though.

I guess the Aussies and other Countries will reciprocate now.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 10th 2012 at 6:39 am.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Currently visitors who don't require visas can stay in the UK for up to 6 months as a tourist as long as they can show they have financial provision for their intended stay. Might be an option for you & your wife, although you may get questioned a bit at border control if/when they notice.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 6:51 am
Not actually a squirrel

At current rates the Aus Pension pays 18,900 pounds plus for a couple. So you would only have to find 8K maximum out of your private super.

So not anywhere near as bad as first reads. Most Aus retirement couples can find that.... Easiest way out is to have your partner take out UK citizenship and negate these rules.

If you think about it, you wouldnt want to live in the UK on anything less than 25K.... otherwise you'd be taking a major hit in living standards.

I'm pretty miffed about the attack on my wifes and I status though.

I guess the Aussies and other Countries will reciprocate now.
Don't know if it's that easy, is it?

He's got a pommy wife and a masters n all but I don't think that means he can just get citizenship, does it?
Old Jun 10th 2012, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Don't know if it's that easy, is it?

He's got a pommy wife and a masters n all but I don't think that means he can just get citizenship, does it?
Someone married to a British citizen currently needs to be resident for the 3 years immediately before applying, including being in the UK on the day 3 years before applying. There's also a maximum absence from the UK of 270 days, and they need to have ILR on the day they apply.

For those not married to a British citizen the residency requirement for citizenship is 5 years with a higher allowable absence, and they need to have ILR for a period of time (1 year? maybe, not sure).
Old Jun 10th 2012, 7:39 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

That's total crap. Perhaps in London, but down here in the South West the average wage is around 18k, and the prices reflect that. Pretty typical of this government to think that we all earn London wages.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by civilservant
That's total crap. Perhaps in London, but down here in the South West the average wage is around 18k, and the prices reflect that. Pretty typical of this government to think that we all earn London wages.

Isn't this legislation aimed at couples and thereby joint minimum incomes ?

Is it possible to live as a couple in the SW on 18K ?

You would really struggle anywhere in Aus on that amount of money..... I've been out of the UK for 30 years plus so I really dont know the UK financial needs.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 8:43 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't this legislation aimed at couples and thereby joint minimum incomes ?

Is it possible to live as a couple in the SW on 18K ?

You would really struggle anywhere in Aus on that amount of money..... I've been out of the UK for 30 years plus so I really dont know the UK financial needs.
These questions are very difficult to answer. It depends on whether you are mortgage-free, how many children you have, and what standard of living you expect.

Much was made recently about a suggestion that no family on benefits should earn more than the average wage - which I think was reported as being somewhere in the mid-20k's. I was surprised at the outrage in response to this.

There are plenty of people living on 18k a year, though I'd guess that most of these are retirees who are mortgage-free.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 9:37 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a mortgage, but I do have rent to pay and all the associated bills. I earn 23,500 in the SW. With that I rent a 2 bedroom house, cover all bills and money left over to do things. I could easily support my wife not working - but I wouldn't be eligible under the new rules. I agree with raised the threshold, but it needs to be regional. We dont all live in ultra expensive areas.

Im not arguing for 18k, because I do think it would be a struggle. But 25k is too high.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

just_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to all

My parents live in Lincolnshire on around 16-18K. They have a mortgage (though it's nearly complete so the price of the house wasn't as high as today's standards) and while they're not rolling in spare cash, they do have a good life; They have a new car every three years, go on holiday twice a year and enjoy spoiling their grandkids

One of my biggest arguments with the Immigration Minister was that there should be some sort of regional weighting. Don't know what it's like in London but in Lincoln I've seen graduate jobs advertised starting as low as 18,000 with the average being around 21-22,000...which is a long way off Theresa May's thresholds! I think I pointed out previously that DH and I will live well in Lincoln on my salary but we'd be a lot worse off if we'd had to move to London and get a job that met the thresholds but got eaten up in increased living costs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.