Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen by double descent, through grandfather working in Crown service?

British citizen by double descent, through grandfather working in Crown service?

Old Jun 7th 2018, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Strawtermelon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizen by double descent, through grandfather working in Crown service?

I only just learnt of this way of becoming a British citizen.
My husbands Maternal Grandfather was born in West Ham, London in 1922
He was in the Royal Navy. Recruited from the UK. But was loaned to the Aussies as he was a Z Force commando. While serving in Australia he met my husbands Grandmother Margurita Faith Lopez. They married and she fell pregnant with my husbands mother Frances Anne born 8/2/1946.

My problem is, I know he transferred to the Australian Navy around the time of Frances’ birth.
If he transferred before she was born, does that mean he’s not eligible?

There are some scans of his records available online..but it won’t let me post the link here..

Its hard to read but.. there is a date at the bottom rhs on there which I believe reads
“Contract to RAN service to N.LO 9/5/46”
I’m hoping and praying that means he transferred after her birth!
Im going to order his service record today, hopefully that clarifies things.

If if he was still working in the Royal Navy at the time of her birth, does that make her a British citizen otherwise by descent? Even though she was born in Australia? And my husband a British citizen by descent?

Is is there any issue with Frances passing down citizenship to my husband despite her not marrying his father. He was born in Australia in 1985.
Also, if everything matches up, how does he apply? We started an application online but there doesn’t seem to be an application which includes this as a way to get citizenship. Do we just put all the extra info in the box and supply birth certificates and his service record?

Thanks

Last edited by Strawtermelon; Jun 7th 2018 at 10:56 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Strawtermelon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please help confirm... crown service, double descent, born after 1983

What happens if the parents were not married?
The grandparents were married at the time of birth but not the parents.
Is my husband still eligible?
Thanks