Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen App double descent- born pre-1949 South Africa

British citizen App double descent- born pre-1949 South Africa

Old Jun 17th 2018, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

billcall5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizen App double descent- born pre-1949 South Africa

Hello

I would be very grateful for any enlightenment whether my mother is likely to have a valid route to British citizenship by double descent through her maternal grandfather.

Both my mother's maternal grandparents were born in the UK (1881 and 1882) for which we have both UK birth certificates.
They were married in the Union of South Africa (a Dominion at the time) in 1911 for which we have the marriage certificate.
My mother's mother was born in the Union of South Africa (Dominion) in 1914 for which we have the birth certificate.
My mother's mother Union of South Africa passport issued 1937 states National of the Union of SA and a British subject by birth.
My mother's maternal grandfather died in 1938 and to our knowlege was not naturalised as a South African citizen.
My mother's maternal grandmother died in 1948 and was a British Citizen according to her Death Notice.
Neither grandparent was an Irish citizen on 01.01.4949.
My mother's mother married a South African National in 1941.
My mother was born in South Africa in 1945.
To our knowledge neither of mother's maternal grandparents was naturalised as a South African citizen by the time of of the birth or 21st birthday of my mother's mother.

I don't know how much of a factor it is that my mother's mother was born in a Dominion before 1915 and also whether my mother's mother became a citizen of the United Kingdom Colonies when the British Nationality Act was passed in 1948 and whether that may ultimately be acceptable grounds for my mother to qualify for British Citizenship by descent.

Does the fact that South Africa left the Commonwealth in 1961 and subsequent passing of the Commonwealth immigrant Act of 1962 which removed all references to South African citizens as British subjects detract from a potential application?

General notes:
South Africa originally became member of commonwealth prior to 01.01.1949 (but left in 1961)
South Africa was not a part of the UK and Colonies on 01.01.1949 as South Africa was a Dominion at the time.

Thank you
BC
Old Jun 17th 2018, 3:59 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen App double descent- born pre-1949 South Africa

Hi, welcome to BE.

The Welcome Inn is just for general introductions, for assistance with your questions please repost here https://britishexpats.com/forum/citi...-visas-uk-196/

As a new member please have a read of the site rules https://britishexpats.com/site-rules Any site related problems can be resolved by contacting a site moderator.