British-Canadian dual citizenship

Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

EdnaWebb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British-Canadian dual citizenship

Hi, I am new to this (and trying it out because I am frustrated by the lack of clarity I have found on the government websites).
I was born in the UK in 1960. I moved to Canada in 1980 and became a Canadian citizen in 1998, at which time I let my UK passport lapse. I have been travelling on a Canadian passport since then, mostly because it's so much easier to renew and travel with my family.
I married a Canadian, who was also born in the UK (1954), and was moved a couple of years later to Canada by his (also British-born) parents.
We have two children, both of whom were born in Canada and both of whom are now over 18.
I want to:
1) apply for a British passport (without letting my Canadian passport lapse)
2) apply for a British passport for my husband (ditto)
3) apply for British nationality and possibly passports for my two children
but I have found the information very unclear.
Can anyone help me navigate the bureaucratic maze?
Thanks.

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 12th 2013 at 6:10 pm. Reason: sorted :)
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British-Canadian dual citizenship

Originally Posted by EdnaWebb
Hi, I am new to this (and trying it out because I am frustrated by the lack of clarity I have found on the government websites).
I was born in the UK in 1960. I moved to Canada in 1980 and became a Canadian citizen in 1998, at which time I let my UK passport lapse. I have been travelling on a Canadian passport since then, mostly because it's so much easier to renew and travel with my family.
I married a Canadian, who was also born in the UK (1954), and was moved a couple of years later to Canada by his (also British-born) parents.
We have two children, both of whom were born in Canada and both of whom are now over 18.
I want to:
1) apply for a British passport (without letting my Canadian passport lapse)
2) apply for a British passport for my husband (ditto)
3) apply for British nationality and possibly passports for my two children
but I have found the information very unclear.
Can anyone help me navigate the bureaucratic maze?
Thanks.
Hi, and welcome to BE.
We have a lot of posters in our UK forum who are familiar with the rules for British passports so I think I'll move your thread there and you should get some help
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, Pollyanna! As I said ... I'm new!!!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EdnaWebb
Thanks, Pollyanna! As I said ... I'm new!!!
No probs! I'll reinstate the original text for you and hopefully someone can help you out!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

From what you've said you and your husband are still British citizens and so long as you and your husband were married at the time of your children's births so are they. No further application for citizenship is required, it is simply a matter of applying for your passports. Both Canada and the UK recognise dual citizenship so there's no problem with holding the two passports concurrently.

Canadian residents now apply directly to HM Passport Office in Durham. As you and your husband have let your passports lapse for over ten years, all four of you will be treated as first time applicants. Everything you need to apply can be found at the UK GOV website.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Last edited by BritInParis; Aug 12th 2013 at 6:38 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much. On my own, following some links, I had JUST discovered the website link that you sent to me, but I really appreciate the assistance. I had spent most of my morning following unhelpful links, and was on the verge of pitching the computer out of the window ...
I'm printing off the forms now.
Cheers!