British with an Australian Fiance

Old May 20th 2014, 4:04 am
Just Joined

Britchick76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British with an Australian Fiance

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone in a similar position to me has successfully manged a move back to the UK.

Just to fill you in quickly on our situation - I met my Australian partner in the UK six years ago and we moved to Queensland at the beginning of September 2010. It was all done in a bit of a hurry and therefore in a very slapdash way - having never even considered living in Australia before, I didn't do any research into what we should have done before we left.

My partner's ex wife was British and he had ILR from 2004 up until we left. We have only made a return visit once back in 2011 and therefore his ILR has expired. Yes, if I had more knowledge about migration, I would have made sure that he had his citizenship before he left, but I didn't so there's no point in dwelling on it I guess.

We are now in the same position as many other people in that we will have to apply for the spouse visa. We're not planning on making the move for another 3 or 4 years - we couldn't even if we wanted to.

I, being the Brit, would have to secure a job in the UK earning 18,600 pounds. We have an 8 month old daughter but she would be almost of school age by the time we would want to return which might make it more doable. Or alternatively we would need savings of 62,500 pounds. Hmm.

So I feel pretty trapped at the moment - not happy at all here and can't face the thought of spending the rest of my days feeling like this.

I'm just looking for a glimmer of hope I suppose.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 20th 2014, 8:05 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British with an Australian Fiance

The High Court has ruled that the government must ease the financial requirements placed upon British citizens in order to bring their non-EEA citizen spouses into the UK. The government is currently appealing this decision and it's likely to drag on for a while longer but in three or four years time you may find the requirements less onerous.