Brit Passport Expired - moving back - help please!

Old Nov 28th 2009, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

loubie will become famous soon enough
Default Brit Passport Expired - moving back - help please!

We are moving back to UK - we all have dual Ausrtalian and Brit citizenship but my lovely wifes and one of our sons british passports have expired .

Yes we have a one way ticket and could really do without any delays at immigration on our arrival. I have tried to research but this seems to be a grey area. Does anyone know if they will let her in ( or is my luck in ) ?

Thanks for any help.

Dave
Old Nov 28th 2009, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit Passport Expired - moving back - help please!

Can you not get a new one? They arent taking very long from all accounts - about 3 weeks someone said on here recently.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 3:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loubie
We are moving back to UK - we all have dual Ausrtalian and Brit citizenship but my lovely wifes and one of our sons british passports have expired .

Yes we have a one way ticket and could really do without any delays at immigration on our arrival. I have tried to research but this seems to be a grey area. Does anyone know if they will let her in ( or is my luck in ) ?

Thanks for any help.

Dave
We had this discussion in the US forum a couple of weeks ago. This is what the British Consul in Florida advised.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=64

If you wish to view the whole thread click on the thread title located at the top right of Dean's post.

It seems the major hurdle may be actually boarding the plane...the airline may refuse to board you without a valid PP.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any help.

Dave
If you all have Australian passports and can show your British ones then absolutely you'll be let in, but I doubt they'd let you in via the British passport holders queue. I've seen this work both ways and have been let in myself on an expired British passport when I've shown my Aussie one but my Brit one was only expired by a couple of mths, also this was at Term 1 where it's pretty quiet.

I witnessed one lady on my last trip home who had an expired passport be sent right to the back of the queue. She was sat in Business Class with me and in fact I was chatting with her for a while. We were absolutely at the front of the queue and by the the time she'd finished explaining her case and being told she had to go to the non British queue and fill out an entry card the rest of the plane had joined us. She was not happy at all.

Reckon it would depend who you get. The guy that let me in couldn't have been nicer but the guy this lady got (this was on a different trip to when I was let in on an expired Brit passport) was really grumpy.

If you are going to try it, I'd at least make out entry cards just in case, that way if jobsworth at the British queue sends you back then at least you'll be prepared.

I'd just get a new passport if I were you. Mine took 8 days door to door which is way way faster than the Aussie shambolic excuse of a 'service'.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Thanks...no time to get a new passport, flying tuesday!
Old Nov 28th 2009, 1:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
If you all have Australian passports and can show your British ones then absolutely you'll be let in, but I doubt they'd let you in via the British passport holders queue. I've seen this work both ways and have been let in myself on an expired British passport when I've shown my Aussie one but my Brit one was only expired by a couple of mths, also this was at Term 1 where it's pretty quiet.

I witnessed one lady on my last trip home who had an expired passport be sent right to the back of the queue. She was sat in Business Class with me and in fact I was chatting with her for a while. We were absolutely at the front of the queue and by the the time she'd finished explaining her case and being told she had to go to the non British queue and fill out an entry card the rest of the plane had joined us. She was not happy at all.

Reckon it would depend who you get. The guy that let me in couldn't have been nicer but the guy this lady got (this was on a different trip to when I was let in on an expired Brit passport) was really grumpy.

If you are going to try it, I'd at least make out entry cards just in case, that way if jobsworth at the British queue sends you back then at least you'll be prepared.

I'd just get a new passport if I were you. Mine took 8 days door to door which is way way faster than the Aussie shambolic excuse of a 'service'.
The problem is the OP is moving back to the UK. If they enter using non UK PPs they will be classed as visitors and not residents. Loubie's wife and son will have to change status to remain in the UK and be eligible for NHS treatment, schooling, child benefit etc.

Edit: If the family are travelling together they can all go through the UK citizens line.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 28th 2009 at 2:07 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

So still a grey area then- does anyone know what the score is ?
I may have to phone the British consulate. The problem is we fly on wednesday!
Old Nov 28th 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The problem is the OP is moving back to the UK. If they enter using non UK PPs they will be classed as visitors and not residents. Loubie's wife and son will have to change status to remain in the UK and be eligible for NHS treatment, schooling, child benefit etc.

Edit: If the family are travelling together they can all go through the UK citizens line.
The OP said she was worried about having delays entering, that's the question I answered.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If they get British passports after arrival, problem solved. No need for any formal "change of status".
Old Dec 1st 2009, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

This is turning out to be a bit of a problem. I phoned the British Consulate in Canberra this morning and spoke to an operator at $2.70 per minute , to be told ' you'll have to put your flights on hold and apply for your British passports' . Not very helpful , and an expensive way of raising you blood pressure .

My wife then spoke to the flight company ( Air New Zealand ) who said you can enter Uk on Aussie passport for up to 6 months if you book an onward flight, then get your British passport .

This must happen more than occasionally right ?? At the moment we're looking at the easiest way of being allowed on that flight and hoping for immigration officer in a good mood.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

This is turning out to be a bit of a problem. I phoned the British Consulate in Canberra this morning and spoke to an operator at $2.70 per minute , to be told ' you'll have to put your flights on hold and apply for your British passports' . Not very helpful , and an expensive way of raising you blood pressure .

My wife then spoke to the flight company ( Air New Zealand ) who said you can enter Uk on Aussie passport for up to 6 months if you book an onward flight, then get your British passport .

This must happen more than occasionally right ?? At the moment we're looking at the easiest way of being allowed on that flight and hoping for immigration officer in a good mood.
Shouldn't you be on the flight today?
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:52 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that the right to stay does not depend on a PP. A Brit Passport says you have the right to stay but if someone holds another passport and they are entitled to stay then it does not matter.

My point is that that you don't have to have anything in your pp to indicate you have the right to stay - that is in the Immigration Dept System and signified by a letter to you if you are appliyng to stay for some reason or another. If you are a british citizen then you have the right to stay anyway