British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Brit husband, Aussie wife - moving back to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/brit-husband-aussie-wife-moving-back-uk-903315/)

essrd Sep 14th 2017 1:43 am

Brit husband, Aussie wife - moving back to UK

Hello all,

I’d love some advice to our complicated situation.

I’m a Brit who has been in Australia for around 10 years and I’m keen to move back to the UK with my Australian wife (no kids). Both of us generally earn pretty good money and we’re homeowners over here. It should be simple for us, however there is a complication that is stressing us out and potentially making the whole thing impossible.

I got made redundant in March of this year and have only been working in contract positions (for much less than 6 months) ever since. We don’t have the savings requirement as our money is tied up in our house, which we would probably sell. Although we earn a lot more than the threshold I think we’re going to have a problem meeting the financial requirement based upon my situation. My wife has been employed in her job for over 6 months.

We’re looking to move asap. Can anyone advise of the best course of action? Would I have to go over alone and find a job?

Thanks

spouse of scouse Sep 14th 2017 5:46 am

Re: Brit husband, Aussie wife - moving back to UK

Originally Posted by essrd (Post 12337714)
Hello all,

I’m a Brit who has been in Australia for around 10 years and I’m keen to move back to the UK with my Australian wife (no kids). Both of us generally earn pretty good money and we’re homeowners over here. It should be simple for us, however there is a complication that is stressing us out and potentially making the whole thing impossible.

I got made redundant in March of this year and have only been working in contract positions (for much less than 6 months) ever since. We don’t have the savings requirement as our money is tied up in our house, which we would probably sell. Although we earn a lot more than the threshold I think we’re going to have a problem meeting the financial requirement based upon my situation. My wife has been employed in her job for over 6 months.

We’re looking to move asap. Can anyone advise of the best course of action? Would I have to go over alone and find a job?

Thanks

Hi. If you can't meet the financial requirement through income, you could use the savings route by selling your house (provided you have sufficient equity of course!) Proceeds from the sale of a property don't have to be in the bank for 6 months, they can be utilised immediately. You'll need to provide documentation that you/your wife/both owned the house.

quiltman Sep 14th 2017 8:04 am

As SoS says, if you can meet the savings requirement by selling your house, then that is the way to go. Otherwise it looks like you'll have to return on your own, get a job paying £18,600 , hold it for 6 months, then apply. your wifes job is immaterial at this time , but if you do get back then when it comes to Further Leave to Remain, her UK earnings are also counted. how quickly are houses selling in your part of Oz?

HKG3 Sep 14th 2017 5:51 pm

Hello all,

Thanks

The OP should consider getting Australian citizenship before returning to the UK if not already done so. This will make future trips to Australia (whether short holidays or long stays) easier.

Your wife can open an UK bank account in Australia before moving to the UK. HSBC offers this service, please see link below for details -

https://www.hsbc.com.au/1/2/personal.../move-os/apply

essrd Sep 15th 2017 12:57 am

Thanks all – your responses are so helpful. The financial requirement should be met through the sale of the house so that should work. @quiltman – not sure about how quickly they’re selling, but it’s sure to take longer than we hope.

Another quick question – if I were to work for 6 months continuously here in Australia and show pay above the threshold would that meet the financial requirement – even if I was planning to leave that job and move to the UK – or do I need a job in the UK for my wife to get the visa?

@HKG3 – thanks for your response, I am quite recently an Australian citizen.

Inselaffen Sep 15th 2017 10:56 am

Originally Posted by essrd (Post 12338476)
Thanks all – your responses are so helpful. The financial requirement should be met through the sale of the house so that should work. @quiltman – not sure about how quickly they’re selling, but it’s sure to take longer than we hope.

Another quick question – if I were to work for 6 months continuously here in Australia and show pay above the threshold would that meet the financial requirement – even if I was planning to leave that job and move to the UK – or do I need a job in the UK for my wife to get the visa?

@HKG3 – thanks for your response, I am quite recently an Australian citizen.

you need to have been earning at least GBP 18,600 in you current job for 6 months and have a job offer in the UK for a job commencing within 3 months of your intended arrival. That job must also pay at least GBP 18,600.

poida Sep 15th 2017 11:14 am

Hello all,

Thanks

Is your wife eligible for any other working visa? ie Ancestry visa or Youth Mobility tier 5 visa? These ones are cheaper and easier to get, if not then the spousal visa is probably your best bet.