As Brit do I need to reside in UK to get spousal visa?

Old Jul 2nd 2019, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

stickinthemud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default As Brit do I need to reside in UK to get spousal visa?

Hello,
I am a British citizen, and my husband is American. We live in the US and want to move to the UK, where I still own a flat. We have sufficient income and savings to qualify for a spousal visa. However.....
Do I need to be residing in the UK when I apply to sponsor my husband for a spousal Visa?
Or can he and I apply while living in the US and provide evidence that I own a flat in London that we will move into once he has a visa? The flat will be rented out to someone else when I apply.I ask, because the website seems to say that I only need to be a British citizen. But the sponsor application form for the spousal visa asks for my current home address and it seems to imply that my address has to be in the UK. (Also... If it is OK that I am in the US, what address should I put on the form?)

A second question please. Does my husband have to apply from the US, or can he apply from anywhere outside of the UK? Specifically, we could be temporarily in Israel (he is a citizen) when we apply for his spousal visa. He would apply as a US citizen. I understand an interview for the visa is required, so our location will be pertinent.

Thank you greatly for any help! I tried the UK Govt. Visa contracting company that is supposed to answer questions and they did not respond to this.

Sheryl
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As Brit do I need to reside in UK to get spousal visa?

No the sponsor (Brit) does not have to be living in the UK to sponsor a spouse visa
Yes, you can both be living in the US at time of application.
You input your current addresses for the application form.
If your husband has legal residency in Israel then, yes, he can apply from there. The applicant can apply from wherever they have legal residency.
No, an interview is not necessary for a spouse visa.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so very much! Really really helpful and appreciate you taking the time.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

You are the sponsor; your husband will be the applicant. Seems a minor point, but when you're filling out the application, it's vital to remember that the answers are fro the applicant's perspective, not the sponsor's.
Old Jul 20th 2019, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: As Brit do I need to reside in UK to get spousal visa?

Thank you Vadio, Good point. I may have thought I needed to be resident in the UK because I was looking at a Sponsorship Form for a Family Visa, which said I did need to be in the UK. However, maybe there is a different Sponsorship Form for a Spousal Visa, or maybe no sponsorship form is needed at all, only my husband's application. I will check it out. Thank you again, Sheryl.