Brit with American spouse want to retire back home

Old Jul 29th 2016, 2:07 am
Just Joined

Hartshead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit with American spouse want to retire back home

I have lived in the US for 30 years (I still have a resident card in the US). we would like to retire back home (well my home!).

Out retirement savings are well over the limit for savings.

Would I apply for a spouse visa while living in the US? Can we move together? I don't want to move back without him.

I lived in the UK until I was 20, so I did have NI number. Would I be eligible for healthcare immediately? How long would my husband have to reside there to be eligible?

I still have family there, so I could get a uk address until we buy a home (cash as I doubt we want to deal with the mortgage hassle.)

Just starting the process and uk.gov is a little overwhelming! Any tips, advice would be very helpful!

Thank you
Old Jul 29th 2016, 7:27 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit with American spouse want to retire back home

Originally Posted by Hartshead
I have lived in the US for 30 years (I still have a resident card in the US). we would like to retire back home (well my home!).

Would I apply for a spouse visa while living in the US? Can we move together? I don't want to move back without him.

I lived in the UK until I was 20, so I did have NI number. Would I be eligible for healthcare immediately? How long would my husband have to reside there to be eligible?

I still have family there, so I could get a uk address until we buy a home (cash as I doubt we want to deal with the mortgage hassle.)

Just starting the process and uk.gov is a little overwhelming! Any tips, advice would be very helpful!

Thank you
Hi - your questions in order:

Your husband will need to apply for the spouse visa, not you. He's the applicant, you're the sponsor. He applies from the US and when the visa is granted you can move to the UK together.

You'll both be eligible for NHS immediately.

As well as meeting the financial and relationship requirements, you'll need to demonstrate that you have suitable accommodation - i.e. that there is sufficient room for you both in the house, that the homeowner has invited you to stay there, or if the accommodation is rented, you'll need a letter from the landlord confirming permission for you to stay there.

It does look daunting initially, but it's very 'doable'. You just need to be methodical and make sure you organize all the documents you need. Also, this forum is great for asking questions and seeking clarification - lots of us have applied for and received our spouse visas from outside the EEA. Best of luck.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 7:37 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hartshead

Thank you
I would ensure that you got your US citizenship before moving, then it's so much easier to visit the US, no visa required.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Very doable...we did it! It sounds like you have everything in place. Just a reminder that you would either need to work (either or both of you) or be able to show the same level of savings for your FLR(M) in two and a half years time. I am sure you know this but just wanted to make sure.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

If you only ever intend to visit the US, personally I wouldn't bother with US citizenship, as it carries the requirement to file a US income tax return, and your world-wide income is reported. Tax treaty notwithstanding, and while the UK will have primary taxing authority over your income, it gets very complicated. Your spouse would continue to file returns. State income tax may also come into play along with FBAR (now FinCen) annual reports of foreign bank accounts.

If there's a chance you will move back to the US, then certainly go for citizenship.