Bringing Russian Partner to UK

Old Feb 24th 2017, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

AdamRScuba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing Russian Partner to UK

Hi everyone, new here - hope you can help with this stressful time! Questions at the bottom!

My name's Adam, I'm a UK citizen: born in the Midlands.

First an intro to my situation:
I've been living in Taiwan for 10 years+ I met my partner there, she's from Russia. We've been together 3 years, living together for more than 2.
We've left Taiwan, currently in Russia visiting parents. I'll be returning to the UK in 2 days, she'll be staying in Russia until the visa comes through.

We got engaged ten days ago, on Valentines Day in Sochi.

Although I'm not working; don't have a job lined up, I rent out UK property giving me ~16K and have 27K in the bank to make up the remained to pass the threshold.

We're getting ready to submit the application.

Some questions on the application:
Should we state fiancee or partner? We hope she can get a job in the UK (she has 3 masters degrees, that's 3 more than me!) and although we will get married, we don't plan to get married in the UK. We want a partner visa which will let her work. Would saying that she's now my fiancee affect this, despite the fact we've been living together for long enough (with plenty of holidays together, pictures, family visits etc.) to show unmarried partner status.

VAF4A - At the end of the application there's an extra information section - what should we be writing there? Should we treat it like a cover letter? Should we mention small details that might need explaining? Such as:

- In Russia you can't keep your old passport, so when it asks for information on her previous passport (9 years ago) she doesn't know. Do we need to explain this?

- I was still married but separated when we met. It's been a long slog getting the divorce, mainly due to us both being UK citizens living in Taiwan - but also money and the ex's attitude..., the divorce was granted on 26th November 2016. So do I need to explain the relative recentness of the divorce?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Adam

Last edited by AdamRScuba; Feb 24th 2017 at 1:49 pm. Reason: legibility
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing Russian Partner to UK

If you apply for a fiancee visa then you'll need to marry in the UK within six months of arrival and be able to show the wedding is planned in order to obtain the visa in the first place. Applying as an unmarried couple is possible but you'll need concrete evidence that you have been living as man and wife for at least two years, e.g. joint bank statements, tenancy agreements, utility bills, etc.. Holiday photos aren't going to cut it. If you can't provide these documents then I would marry first outside the UK (e.g. Russia, Taiwan) and then lodge an application for a spouse visa.

I would write an explanation at the end of the form for both those points. You'll need to make the application online however - you cannot use Form VAF4A unless you're living in North Korea.