British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Brand new spouse visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/brand-new-spouse-visa-941937/)

Glendarino Dec 14th 2021 9:16 am

Brand new spouse visa

So we are applying for first stage of a spouse visa. We got married in canada , I am British and she is Canadian. So I read on many sites and this forum that for sending evidence of our relationship, include photos, emails, messages, cards is an absolute must but then on the government website it says this is not strong evidence and not likely to help the application! We obviously have our marriage certificate, but are unable to provide joint bank account, shared bills etc because she is obviously not a legal uk resident so how can we have these! Will sending photos et al, actually be of help

DernierVirage Dec 14th 2021 10:21 am

Re: Brand new spouse visa

Originally Posted by Glendarino (Post 13081085)
So we are applying for first stage of a spouse visa. We got married in canada , I am British and she is Canadian. So I read on many sites and this forum that for sending evidence of our relationship, include photos, emails, messages, cards is an absolute must but then on the government website it says this is not strong evidence and not likely to help the application! We obviously have our marriage certificate, but are unable to provide joint bank account, shared bills etc because she is obviously not a legal uk resident so how can we have these! Will sending photos et al, actually be of help

For my wife's first visa, we had no documents whatsoever in our joint names, and I didn't have any UK documents in my name either apart from my UK passport, so don't worry.

Glendarino Dec 14th 2021 10:31 am

Originally Posted by DernierVirage (Post 13081095)
For my wife's first visa, we had no documents whatsoever in our joint names, and I didn't have any UK documents in my name either apart from my UK passport, so don't worry.

brilliant! Did you continue to send proof of your relationship as such the photos and letters from friends and family etc??

DernierVirage Dec 14th 2021 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Glendarino (Post 13081098)
brilliant! Did you continue to send proof of your relationship as such the photos and letters from friends and family etc??

No letters, just about 20 photos.

Glendarino Dec 14th 2021 11:49 am

Originally Posted by DernierVirage (Post 13081105)
No letters, just about 20 photos.

I don’t suppose you can remember on the application, we’ve got to the locked in answers point and the it says visa type husband…… is that correct? I’d assume it would be wife? But wanted to clarify

DernierVirage Dec 14th 2021 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Glendarino (Post 13081113)
I don’t suppose you can remember on the application, we’ve got to the locked in answers point and the it says visa type husband…… is that correct? I’d assume it would be wife? But wanted to clarify

The form has certainly changed, we applied in 2015, but I looked at the form anyway and it appears as "settlement/wife"

BritInParis Dec 14th 2021 1:42 pm

Your wife is the applicant so it should be wife, not husband.

SanDiegogirl Dec 14th 2021 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Glendarino (Post 13081085)

You show proof of genuine relationship by documentation from Canada i.e marriage certificate (obviously), bank statements, tenancy agreement/mortgage docs/utility bills. They want to see you have a genuine relationship in Canada.

Glendarino Dec 14th 2021 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 13081182)
You show proof of genuine relationship by documentation from Canada i.e marriage certificate (obviously), bank statements, tenancy agreement/mortgage docs/utility bills. They want to see you have a genuine relationship in Canada.

she is moving here, but I’ve never lived in Canada. But as she isn’t a uk resident we can’t have joint account , joint bill etc as she isn’t here.

DernierVirage Dec 14th 2021 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Glendarino (Post 13081192)
she is moving here, but I’ve never lived in Canada. But as she isn’t a uk resident we can’t have joint account , joint bill etc as she isn’t here.

Just to reassure you again. For our spouse visa (my wife is Chinese, I am British), we did not have one single document in joint names - nothing. And I had no UK documents in my name. We submitted about 20 photos, three pages (only) of online chats, a written summary of our relationship and how it had developed, and that was basically it. And of course our marriage certificate.

SanDiegogirl Dec 14th 2021 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Glendarino (Post 13081192)

In which case you provide your marriage certificate, photos of your wedding and previous events where you have met. A letter detailing your meeting and ongoing relationship would not hurt either.