British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Brand new to this forum and going back to UK... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/brand-new-forum-going-back-uk-916132/)

Jodi_UK Aug 16th 2018 12:45 am

Brand new to this forum and going back to UK...

Ok, so how do we even get started moving to the UK?!

I am in Australia - British born British Citizen. (I have dual nationality)
I married an Australian in Australia. We have been married 12 years.
We have two children together, who are also British citizens with their passports all ready.

Husband and I have been self employed for over 2 years with our Australian registered company.
I now have both a job opportunity in England and self employment opportunity in England.

We'd like to all move over together to England as a family.

The visa process is 12 weeks.

The spouse visa asks for residential address of which at the moment we don't have. Would an Air BnB be ok to book and put the that address down on the application?
IS spouse even visa the right one?

Appreciate any insight...!

BritInParis Aug 16th 2018 6:28 am

Re: Brand new to this forum and going back to UK...

Does your husband have any recent British, Irish or other European ancestry?

Jodi_UK Aug 20th 2018 2:35 am

My husband is Australian with Italian Decent.

Jodi_UK Aug 20th 2018 2:36 am

We tried looking into Italian citizenship last year in Australia bu alas did not qualify

BritInParis Aug 20th 2018 9:49 am

Could you explain a little more about that?

Jodi_UK Aug 22nd 2018 12:21 am

Yes, because we were told his parents renounced their Italian Citizenship within a period of time he is not eligible.

BritInParis Aug 22nd 2018 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Jodi_UK (Post 12552396)
Yes, because we were told his parents renounced their Italian Citizenship within a period of time he is not eligible.

It’s unlikely that they renounced their Italian citizenship. Did they acquire Australian citizenship? If so, which year(s) and was that before or after your husband was born?

Abercrombie123 Aug 22nd 2018 6:01 am

Hi - there are people on here far more able to answer your queries than me, but just thought I should let you know that you and I have virtually the same circumstances - I am a Brit, been in Australia for 14 years, married to an Aussie for 10 years, 2 kids (with dual nationality, like me), and we are planning to move back 'home' to England. My husband and I are also self employed here in Sydney. My husband applied for the Spouse visa and did his biometrics today. Please feel free to reach out if I can help at all - this forum is amazingly informative and useful! Good luck.

Jodi_UK Aug 22nd 2018 6:54 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12552403)
It’s unlikely that they renounced their Italian citizenship. Did they acquire Australian citizenship? If so, which year(s) and was that before or after your husband was born?

When we spoke to the Italian consultate in Australia they said that his parents renounced their citizenship in 1974 and my husband was born in 1975. Since then though they now have dual citizenship (got Italian citzenship back)

We spoke to Italy directly and with our information they told him that he was eligible but we had to go through the Australian consulate of italy here. When we gave the AUstralian consulate the information they told us again that because they did not have the citizenship the year he was born he wasn't eligible.

But his grandparents were italian - now deceased.

Jodi_UK Aug 22nd 2018 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Abercrombie123 (Post 12552472)
Hi - there are people on here far more able to answer your queries than me, but just thought I should let you know that you and I have virtually the same circumstances - I am a Brit, been in Australia for 14 years, married to an Aussie for 10 years, 2 kids (with dual nationality, like me), and we are planning to move back 'home' to England. My husband and I are also self employed here in Sydney. My husband applied for the Spouse visa and did his biometrics today. Please feel free to reach out if I can help at all - this forum is amazingly informative and useful! Good luck.

Wonderful, thank you. I am sure to have some more questions!

BritInParis Aug 22nd 2018 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Jodi_UK (Post 12552484)
When we spoke to the Italian consultate in Australia they said that his parents renounced their citizenship in 1974 and my husband was born in 1975. Since then though they now have dual citizenship (got Italian citzenship back)

We spoke to Italy directly and with our information they told him that he was eligible but we had to go through the Australian consulate of italy here. When we gave the AUstralian consulate the information they told us again that because they did not have the citizenship the year he was born he wasn't eligible.

But his grandparents were italian - now deceased.

Do you have documents from the Australian government confirming on which date(s) your parents-in-law become Australian citizens?

BritInParis Dec 29th 2018 10:58 pm

Given that your husband’s spouse visa has just been refused and Brexit is looming then it would useful if you could provide an answer to my outstanding question.

Jodi_UK Dec 30th 2018 6:05 am

Thanks for the prompt.

We have been to Italy to the local registry office of the family and await the result on the UK visa and perhaps move to Italy in the summer if necessary.

SanDiegogirl Dec 30th 2018 4:21 pm

By awaiting the result of the UK visa do you mean await the result of an appeal?

If so then be aware that an appeal can take up to a year to process.