Born in the UK

Old Jul 14th 2018, 6:32 am
Just Joined

Oluyemisi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Born in the UK

Hello Team
I was born in London in July, 1985 when my mother (a Nigerian descent) was working as a Nurse. When I was taken to Nigeria to see the rest of my family in the same year, the passport and some documents got missing and were not recovered. She travelled to the UK in 1991 and got her British Passport in 1999 and currently lives in London. I have the long and short birth certificates, NI and NHS numbers, and British Drivers Licence. I also had a post graduate diploma in 2013. I am married with a daughter who is a US citizen and we live in Nigeria. Is there a possibility of getting a British passport or moving to the UK?
Old Jul 14th 2018, 9:02 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Born in the UK

What was your mother’s immigration status at the time you were born? What about your father? If you have a NINO and driving licence then presumably you lived in the UK previously? What was your immigration status at that point?
Old Jul 14th 2018, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
What was your mother’s immigration status at the time you were born? What about your father? If you have a NINO and driving licence then presumably you lived in the UK previously? What was your immigration status at that point?
My mother was a Nurse and had a work permit and my father a Nigerian Citizen. I had my NINO and driving licence when I had a working holiday visa.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 12:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oluyemisi View Post
My mother was a Nurse and had a work permit and my father a Nigerian Citizen. I had my NINO and driving licence when I had a working holiday visa.
And your father was living in the UK at that time? If so, what was his immigration status? Were your grandparents all born in Nigeria?
Old Jul 14th 2018, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

And your father was living in the UK at that time? If so, what was his immigration status? Were your grandparents all born in Nigeria?
my father was living in Nigeria and my grandparents were born in Nigeria
Old Jul 14th 2018, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Oluyemisi View Post
my father was living in Nigeria and my grandparents were born in Nigeria
Your mother needed to register you as a British citizen between her receiving ILR/British citizenship and you turning 18. Now that you are over 18 that option is no longer available to you. If you had lived in the UK until you were 10 years old then you could also apply to register but that doesn't seem to be the case. From the information you have provided you are not currently eligible for British citizenship. If you wish to emigrate to the UK then you would need to apply for a visa in the same manner as any other Nigerian citizen.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Your mother needed to register you as a British citizen between her receiving ILR/British citizenship and you turning 18. Now that you are over 18 that option is no longer available to you. If you had lived in the UK until you were 10 years old then you could also apply to register but that doesn't seem to be the case. From the information you have provided you are not currently eligible for British citizenship. If you wish to emigrate to the UK then you would need to apply for a visa in the same manner as any other Nigerian citizen.
ok. Thank you for your time and response