Born in Germany,married to a British citizen

Old Sep 18th 2004, 10:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Born in Germany,married to a British citizen

Originally Posted by JAJ
The English language requirement has just been introduced for spouses of British citizens seeking naturalisation (for those applying from 28 July 2004).
Cheers for that...
certainly a bit of a pain isn't it then....and with these requirements, surprising how come a lot of people don't have a decent grasp of the English language...I don't mean to be rude or cause trouble with that, but it's something I've noticed, certainly with some second/third generation immigrant familys at least.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 10:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Cheers for that...
certainly a bit of a pain isn't it then....and with these requirements, surprising how come a lot of people don't have a decent grasp of the English language...I don't mean to be rude or cause trouble with that, but it's something I've noticed, certainly with some second/third generation immigrant familys at least.
Unfortunately it's entirely possible for someone to be sponsored to live in Britain as a spouse without having any grasp of English.

Most naturalisation applicants who are *not* married to British citizens - leaving aside refugees - have come in to the UK under ancestry visas or work permits and hence would usually need English in their day to day lives.

For spouses, in my opinion it's a little late to demand functional English at naturalisation stage. Those looking to sponsor spouses for settlement in the UK should be prepared to either prove that the spouse can speak English, or pre-pay sufficient English language tuition before the spouse can be granted a visa in the first place.

Jeremy
Old Sep 18th 2004, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unfortunately it's entirely possible for someone to be sponsored to live in Britain as a spouse without having any grasp of English.

Most naturalisation applicants who are *not* married to British citizens - leaving aside refugees - have come in to the UK under ancestry visas or work permits and hence would usually need English in their day to day lives.

For spouses, in my opinion it's a little late to demand functional English at naturalisation stage. Those looking to sponsor spouses for settlement in the UK should be prepared to either prove that the spouse can speak English, or pre-pay sufficient English language tuition before the spouse can be granted a visa in the first place.

Jeremy
I hope 12 years of living and working in the UK is good enough, not to forget I would have to learn the national anthem. Or would be a John redwood impression be good enough? (his impression of theWelsh anthem is a treat)!!
Old Sep 18th 2004, 10:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I agree, I know it isn't easy learning a language, but they must at least show that they are trying to get the basic grasp at the very least...
Old Sep 18th 2004, 10:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by simbacat
I hope 12 years of living and working in the UK is good enough, not to forget I would have to learn the national anthem. Or would be a John redwood impression be good enough? (his impression of theWelsh anthem is a treat)!!
Ya written English is probably better than most
Old Sep 19th 2004, 12:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simbacat
I hope 12 years of living and working in the UK is good enough, not to forget I would have to learn the national anthem.
Not specifically. See the Home Office requirements here:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind...quirement.html

Apparently they do plan to add further categories of people to the list of designated persons in section 2. If they're tardy about doing this, you can always write to your MP and ask that he raises the issue with the Home Secretary. This may prompt them to expand the list of acceptable persons for section 2.

By the way - if you're German you need to have been formally granted Indefinite Leave to Remain in order to apply for naturalisation. Since 2 Oct 2000, citizens of other EEA countries (other than Irish citizens) are not normally considered to be permanent residents of the UK unless they apply for and obtain that status.
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind..._economic.html
(start from section 9)

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 19th 2004 at 12:26 am.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 8:39 am
Just Joined

BerlinGal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SandyW
Hello there

I will make this as short as possible, I was born in Germany (still have my German passport), I am married to a British citizen and for now, we live in the
USA (he is in the US Military).
I know Germany is a member of the EU/EEA (European Union/European Economic Area) so I do not need to apply for 'entry clearance' to work or live in the UK, but I was wondering if I can apply for my British citizenship while we are still living in the US?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you
Why bother with the British citizenship???? As a German you can live and work in the UK without a permit or anything. The only things you need are a bank account and a National Insurance no.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BerlinGal
Why bother with the British citizenship???? As a German you can live and work in the UK without a permit or anything. The only things you need are a bank account and a National Insurance no.
I think she said that she felt it was important that she can vote. By the way you can vote for local and European election in Britain if you come from an EU country. I have been thinking the same I don't feel as if I should vote in Germany since I have no intention of living there. So unless it is a local or European election my voice isn't heard.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 4:39 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

She also made the very valid point that she would become a British citizen because of the sense of commitment and the feeling of belonging. This is a very significant issue for a lot of people, and one that goes beyond the mere ease or otherwise of working or living in a foreign country with or without visas etc.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 1:13 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by CPW
She also made the very valid point that she would become a British citizen because of the sense of commitment and the feeling of belonging. This is a very significant issue for a lot of people, and one that goes beyond the mere ease or otherwise of working or living in a foreign country with or without visas etc.
It's also an insurance policy against work restrictions being reimposed on EEA citizens in the UK. Although there's no prospect of that in the immediate future, anything can happen once you start looking more than 10 years ahead.

A naturalised British citizen can leave the UK and always return - a person from another EEA state who has been resident in the UK can only return if there has been no change in the immigration laws to curtail this meanwhile.

The stricter immigration controls that Australia imposed on New Zealand citizens in 2001 are a case in point.

Jeremy