Booking flight to get back home!

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

LouWhit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Booking flight to get back home!

Hello,
My USC husband has his visa. We are planning to travel back to UK in September. This may be a stupid question but can we just book a one way flight or do we have to do a round trip and cancel later once spouse takes KOL etc.
Thanks in advance
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

intant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant future
Default Re: Booking flight to get back home!

From the research I've done it seems so much cheaper to book a return flight anyway (and loose the return portion)........singles are coming up much more expensive than a return!
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I found this too. If you formally cancel the return portion of your ticket after you've arrived, you can usually claim back the airport taxes portion of it too.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

I have found a great price on a one way flight, just want to be sure that not having a return flight won't cause any problems either leaving the US or entering the UK.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

michael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the rough

why would you want a return I am looking at 1 way on this site skyscanner.com don't see why if your moveing you should have to pay for a return
Old Jul 8th 2012, 11:32 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michael rothwell
why would you want a return I am looking at 1 way on this site skyscanner.com don't see why if your moveing you should have to pay for a return
Sometimes the return ticket costs less. weird but true. I bought my son a return ticket, he moved last week, and the one was nearly twice as much.
I need to have a look at Skyscanner.
Ok I went to look, no idea why it's so cheap, are taxes not included?
Well I went a nosed about some more, and it seems taxes are included, I have bookmarked them. Have you ever actually used the site and bought tickets?

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Jul 8th 2012 at 11:49 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 1:10 am
Just Joined

I checked out skyscanner and it is basically the same price I found through kayak.com.
I just want to be sure it is ok to buy a one way ticket, since my husband has his ILE (KOL req) he has permission to enter the country to become a resident but if should he fail KOL and be denied his ILR does the non-purchase of a return ticket imply that he intends to stay anyway.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:04 am
Just Joined

scottydog357 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LouWhit
I checked out skyscanner and it is basically the same price I found through kayak.com.
I just want to be sure it is ok to buy a one way ticket, since my husband has his ILE (KOL req) he has permission to enter the country to become a resident but if should he fail KOL and be denied his ILR does the non-purchase of a return ticket imply that he intends to stay anyway.
He has a spouse visa. It is not mandatory to take the KOL test, it just means that if he does he can apply for permanent residency immediately. If not he can remain on the spouse visa until it expires and then reapply to have an extension. They don't march him at gunpoint at Heathrow to a room, make him sit a test and if he fails march him back to the aircraft.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Sometimes the return ticket costs less. weird but true. I bought my son a return ticket, he moved last week, and the one was nearly twice as much.
I need to have a look at Skyscanner.
Ok I went to look, no idea why it's so cheap, are taxes not included?
Well I went a nosed about some more, and it seems taxes are included, I have bookmarked them. Have you ever actually used the site and bought tickets?
Hi Mummy, sorry been missing in action ( working 10 hours a day no energy for internet in evening) your son has returned too now, wow thats great. I hope he gets on well. My daughter went back, she could not find work in Leicester, and then wouldnt you know I got a call from Tescos for her... there were 3,100 applicants for 195 jobs..she got the call after she had gone
Old Jul 9th 2012, 2:20 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Hi Mummy, sorry been missing in action ( working 10 hours a day no energy for internet in evening) your son has returned too now, wow thats great. I hope he gets on well. My daughter went back, she could not find work in Leicester, and then wouldnt you know I got a call from Tescos for her... there were 3,100 applicants for 195 jobs..she got the call after she had gone
Oh no, she just missed it. Thats a shame. Maybe if she comes back again with more work experience, or some training she'll do better.
my son is doing all his paperwork this week, and also has appointments with the college. He took written references with him he work in the food industry while in school so hopes to get in near my Mums house at a nice bar restaurant that has expressed and interest in him.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 12:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks all for all your help. Booked our tickets today!